FAQ M6805/6807/6809 Updated with pics

Discussion in 'eMachines' started by orion7144, Apr 6, 2004.

1. orion7144

orion7144 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Stock Specs
    Athlon 64-M 3000+ (1.8 Ghz) 1Gb L2 cache The M6809 has the 64-M 3200+ (2.0 Ghz)
    15.4" WXGA screen (1280 x 800)
    60 GB 4200 rpm hard drive (80 GB for the 6809). Some people report getting a 5400 rpm one
    Mobility Radeon 9600 pro 64 MB (dedicated memory)
    DVD/CD-RW combo (the 6807/6809 have a DVD burner/CDRW)
    2x256 (512) Samsung PC2700
    6-in-1 Digital Media Manger (Compact Flash, Micro Drive, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro)
    802.11g wireless (via mini pci card)
    4 X USB 2.0 ports, 1 Firewire port, 10/100 lan, 56K modem, mic jack, headphone jack, S-Video out,

Drivers

1. The OEM provided drivers are on Disc 3 of the restore CDs. This is particularly important if you want to install a different OS.

2. Hot keys can't be mapped to other applications at the current time. However, some people are reporting that TweakUI from microsoft will let you do it.

3. Viaarena.com has the latest drivers for your chipset.

4. The ATI 9600 can use the latest Catalysts or Omegas.

5. Realtek.com.tw has the latest drivers for your soundcard.

6. Hot keys can't be mapped to other applications at the current.

End user upgrades
    Pictures were take from www.wereshark.com and hosted on my site with his permision.

MEMORY
    The memory is split into two modules. One is "user" accessible and the other is under the keyboard and may void your warranty if you replace it. It uses regular PC2700 SODIMM's so you can either replace the stock 256 mb stick that is located on the bottom with a 1 gb or 512 mb stick to increase your memory.
    [​IMG]

Hard Drive
    This is probably the biggest bottleneck in the laptop. 4200 RPM is very slow for a hard drive and these machines need a faster one to go along with the rest of the components.
    The hard drive is located in the front middle and one or two screws to get it out. You can get any 9.5mm laptop drive 5400 or 7200 RPM to replace it with. You can either sell or get a 2.5" external USB/Firewire enclosure and use the old drive for backups.

MISC
    There is also a mini PCI slot located on the bottom of the laptop. Inside houses the wireless card.

User upgradeable parts that will probably void your warranty.[/B]

CPU
    The AMD A64-M 3000+ is also known as a DTR (Desktop replacement) and is 1.8Ghz whereas the normal desktop A64 3000+ is 2.0Ghz and has only 512mb of cache. The DTR's have 1Gb of L2 cache. There is a 3200+ and a 3400+ that will plug in easily to our machines. The CPU is in a standard ZIF socket.

As you can see in this pic the HSF is of the heat pipe veriety and has two fans, one for intake and one for exhaust.
    [​IMG]
    In this pic you can see the ZIF socket with the CPU after the HSF has been removed.
    [​IMG]

MEMORY (located under the keyboard)
    There is one stick located under the keyboard and is pain to get to.
    This pic shows the 6 in 1 card reader removed to gain better access to the internal memory slot.
    [​IMG]
    OVERCLOCKING

The video card is extremely over clockable. Stock speeds are 300mhz for the core and 200mhz for the memory. With some simple tools most people are reporting 400mhz+ on the core and 220mhz+ on the memory. (mine will do 435mhz core and 228mhz memory)

Atitool http://atitool.ocfaq.com/ is a program that you run and it will determine the max setting for both the core and memory. It takes awhile to run but is pretty accurate.

ATI Omega display drivers are a must. They are the certified ATI drivers included with a lot of utilities for the Radeon cards. The latest Omega driver can be downloaded from http://www.omegacorner.com/ and install just fine. Once installed and you open the control panel there is a tab called Radlink and there is where you can set you new core and memory speed.

Over clocking the CPU is a little trickier since there is no AGP/PCI bus lock (meaning you can lock the bus to 33/66mhz). When you increase the FSB on the CPU it will also increase it on the PCI/AGP bus as well. This will quickly put the PCI/AGP bus out of spec and cause anything from lockups to frequent restarts.

The utility preferred is called Clockgen and can be found at http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php Go to the Athlon 64 motherboards section and download this on CG-ICS950403 for the K8X800 chipset. I would recommend not going much beyond 2.0Ghz as it will put a serious strain on the PCI/AGP bus.

Next is the dreaded 800Mhz on battery problem (NOTE THIS WILL NOT WORK ON THE M6809). It is not Emachines fault rather it is a combination of AMD's driver and WinXP. It does not have this affect if you are running Win2K or Linux.
    There is a solution that is pretty simple. Download the latest AMD PowerNow driver from http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/AMDPowernowver3.04.EXE and then right click and select compatibility mode. Select Windows 2000 and then install. You can now check the power properties and there is a new option "AMD PowerNow ™ Technology" one of the options is High performance mode and always on. (Don't forget to set the power scheme to always on)

My screen won't come on even though I am moving the touch pad! This is normal just select the Fn+F4 and the screen will come back on.

Please let me know if I missed anything or made any mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  2. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Wow, this is very solid. You did miss an important part though...the little prayer at the bottom that keeps Gateway from messing up the good thing eMach has going right now!

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

3. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter - Super Moderator

Reputations:
    this is a great resource, thanks for putting this together. I can't see anything you missed right away but if you think of anything yourself then please update this post!

4. rizd999

rizd999 Newbie

Reputations:
    Pretty good source of info.

* To elaborate on 2. under the Drivers header.
    Microsoft TweakUI will allow you to map buttons to other applications to a certain degree. I currently have my calc to run when I hit the 'i' button however, if you try to put any links that require quotes, meaning links with spaces, and that require arguments, it won't work. In certain instances I can have it work with links that require quotes but you'll be more successful if you let TweakUI put in the quotes for you.

* Correction on your information under the CPU header.
    There are two different mobile processors that AMD released. The original AMD Athlon 64 DTR and the later released Mobile AMD Athlon 64. Although the differences are minimal the Mobile version runs 20W less (62W) than the DTR versions (~82W) and the maximum speed released for the mobile version is 3200+ (2.0GHz) while the maximum speed for the DTR is 3400+ (2.2GHz). Your laptop, along with the other M6805, M6807 and M6809 all have the Mobile AMD Athlon 64 processors.

But other than that, a good compilation of what has been released on the other forums.

-
    eMachine M6805

5. pixscooby

pixscooby Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently sent a question to tech support about the 6809 supporting PC3200/DDR400, and this is what they replied:

The MAXIMUM amount of memory for both systems is 1.2 GB because of the way the memory slots are configured on this system. The system initially ships with two 256MB memory modules, but the location of one of the modules is inaccessible to the user. This means the user can upgrade the memory in only one of the memory slots. Each memory slot has a maximum memory module size of 1 GB, so 1 GB + 256 MB = ~1.2 GB total.

These are the specifications:
    Number of RAM Slots: 2
    Total RAM Capacity: 1280 MB
    RAM Stick Size Limit: 1024 MB

RAM Type: PC2700 SO-DIMM DDR RAM
    Bus Speed: 166 MHz
    Number of Pins:

Please note: on ALL DDR memory the memory is running at a base rate, in this case 166MHz. Being Double Data Rate memory however gives it a "virtual speed" of 333MHz (166MHz X 2 = 333DDR). As long as the memory complies with the PC2700 SO-DIMM specifications, it should work.

Now this reply from them has really got me wondering now.....Will this notebook support 2 x 1 GB chips? The guy said, "Each memory slot has a maximum memory module size of 1 GB", might void the warranty, but I think it would work. Anyone tried it?

6. timotea

timotea Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes you can put a 1 Gig dimm in the internal slot, I am currently running a 1 gig dim in the internal, and 512 in the external. Which has given me a total of 1.5 Gig Sodimm. I will soon be expanding to 2 gig. Does anyone know where we can find bios upgrades, and driver upgrades for our wireless? Great break down on the machine though, it took me 45 minutes to get access to my internal ram, thanks for the pointers

7. taichi13

taichi13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Next is the dreaded 800Mhz on battery problem. It is not Emachines fault rather it is a combination of AMD's driver and WinXP. It does not have this affect if you are running Win2K or Linux.
    There is a solution that is pretty simple. Download the latest AMD PowerNow driver from http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/AMDPowernowver3.04.EXE and then right click and select compatibility mode. Select Windows 2000 and then install. You can now check the power properties and there is a new option "AMD PowerNow ™ Technology" one of the options is High performance mode and always on.
    ----------------
    Tried the above steps twice, each time the powernow installs, but only way to find it is under my computer/c drive/programs/AMD/Powernow folder {nothing runs from in here though}, under START/ALL PROGRAMS amd power now does not even show up. When I go into control panel/power options, only the normal options are showing as available. Am I missing a step {or 2}, because I'm using a brand new emachines m6809, nothing on machine is changed (except downloading/trying powernow}. My email is justwanttobe@hotmail.com if you want to reply directly w/how to get this to work since I'm a heavy gamer, bought this for gaming on the move, and don't want to be stuck at 800mhz while not plugged in. Thank you.

8. orion7144

Reputations:
    Did you do it like this http://www.orion7144.com/images/Powernow.jpg
    Also under "power schemes" have you changed it to always on or is it still set for portable?

That is one thing I misses when I wrote the FAQ. If you change that and it works let me know and I will update the FAQ.

9. Hendlefe

Hendlefe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just bought a M6809 yesterday and I did everything in your guide but I still can't figure out how to overclock.

So I should use ATITool to find my max core and memory, do I OC using this program?

I checked out clockgen but when I tried OC, it caused my notebook to crash so I wont be using it anymore till I get help.

I guess my question is, could you elaborate on the process of OCing?

Thanks

10. orion7144

Reputations:
    AtiTool is just a program to help you find the max overclock for your video cards Core/Memory. Run it for an hour or so and get the numbers it is at. I like to go down a few % from those numbers. Next you must have the Omega drivers installed (Not must but much easier). On your display properties you will now have a tab for "Radlink" this is where you set your new settings.

As far as clockgen, you just have to be carefull and only change the FSB setting. 2Gig is going to pretty much be max for everyone (some will get lucky) since we do not have a PCI/AGP lock. In other words just increase the FSB till you reach close to 2gig and set it.