1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Fake NAND found in SSD's

Discussion in 'Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Flash Storage' started by Abidderman, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

I had the fake cache on my 486 motherboard years ago.

Fake external hdd , the super low price should have set alarm bells off.

Good read.

John.

2. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Whatsthepoint is right, it's not fake NAND, but it is lower quality NAND that seems to have been sold as something it's not so counterfeit, yeah, fake, no.

Removing the casing shows sign of tampering with the device so I guess that is why it voids the warranty, manufacturers assume that any tempering might go deeper I guess and you expose the hardware to static shocks even more I guess. I can see why they consider it voids the warranty even tohugh, in most cases it's harmless.

What Tinderbox linked is definitely fake though.

3. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

SSDs are a work in progress and everyone is learning every day something they didn't know yesterday.

Reviewers and end users I hope are smarter today than they were yesterday.

Just like there's no perfect SSD there's no perfect SSD review.

We need to read several reviews to get the best picture.

There's a lot I like about the SSD reviews on thessdreview and things I don't like.

The trend these days is using some unknown magical testing software that only a particular site has and end users don't so comparing results is impossible.

I like to see actual screenshots of known benchmarking apps especially Anvil Storage Utilities plus graphs comparing the SSD to SSDs previously tested.Only graphs often leaves information I'm looking for missing.

On thessdreview all tests are done on clean drives from a C: drive that's in Safe Mode to make the SSD look as good as possible.This is great for the manufacturers but not for end users that almost certainly put an OS and data on their SSD and use it as a primary boot drive.No SSD ever gets a bad review.

The absolute worse thing about thessdreview is that any comment that offers corrective criticism to the reviewer in the comments is deleted as are posts in the forums.