Fake 330w Power Adapter or just poor quality??

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by MKazmer, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKazmer

MKazmer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just wanted to post a conclusion to this thread. The power adapter in question has now completely died, less than 4 months! I knew there was something wrong with it, considering its performance was weaker than the 230w Chicony adapter.

What's worse about this is that the company I bought it from will not replace it, even though I contacted them the first week I received it to tell them about the situation.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I bought it from Adapter Family at adapterfamily.com and they do not stand by their product.

Darker01 and KY_BULLET like this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @MKazmer
    How did you pay for it?
    Please contact your bank and see if they will do a chargeback. They may not but if they are selling defective merchandise not as advertised, you have nothing to lose.

3. Ryan Russ

Ryan Russ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought a 80$ adapter off Amazon 330w from PC mate as new. I wasn't getting what I expected from it, namely a decrease in wattage (a Max of only 250w) and otherwise poor performance. Being the inquisitive type I opened it up. Lol and behold, the adapter is a poor Chinese imitation with water damage of the 330w. Sending it back tomorrow. Apparently what people are doing is selling these crap adapters as new but having instead a new case. Mine actually had evidence of overheating and solder melt, with part of the PCB seperating from the heat.

If any of you are worried about your adapters, make sure you check their guts.

4. Ryan Russ

Reputations:
    Legit Delta
    VS

POS

fun fact, the POS shocked me pretty badly because when i originally opened it the copper ground wasn't connected to the shielding. it was just floating there, and shorted to my hand.

Aside from the cosmetic differences, the POS has some really low quality chinese capacitors, while the Delta has a lot of high quality Panasonic and other capacitors. means cleaner power. It also has a two stage shielding, with four posts instead of one, a green PCB, (unlike the POS, which has a puke yellow one) and is completely intact on all sides. For charging 80$, the POS has a broken corner, burnt solder, a TORN shield (likely from the person's inexperience taking these apart), a double conductor wire (not 4 like the delta), among water damage and other things like the solder damage you see, it uses leaded solder as well. Despite all these things, it still failed to provide a 330W line charge. Not only that, but the cases are indistinguishable from the actual Delta. In my opinion these people are selling these POS products in legit casing to a consumer that won't usually open their product, likely have replaced the ACTUAL DELTA with this POS!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    FTW_260 likes this.
  5. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That looks like a repackaged aka sold as e-waste, recovered and re-cased AC unit.

Falkentyne likes this.
  6. maxsilver

maxsilver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick question for you, were the cases for these power supplies glued shut? I bought a fairly inexpensive Ebay Delta 330 ADB power supply, and attempted to open it up for inspection. I had to purchase some protected torx style screwdriver bits, which worked fine for removing the screws, but then discovered that the cover is glued together, which seems totally unnecessary given that it is held together by 4 screws.

7. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OP I just found your thread and out of interest I looked up the UL number you included on the first page.
    It is legit registered to delta electronics https://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV...n=versionless&parent_id=1073787374&sequence=1

But I could not find a model '330AB' or 'ADP-330' on the website. Maybe delta did not submit this model to UL, but I find it more likely that someone just overrated this power supply and printed the delta logo on there for fun. It is likely that delta does not even manufacture this model and you got scammed.

Here is some other evidence: this model '330AB' on amazon has an otherwise identical sticker label to yours but is missing the delta logo.
    https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Charger-Desktop-Trident-ADP-330AB/dp/B07BP2C74G

What I'm trying to say is that delta does not make this power supply. It is some rebranded generic unit. If they refuse to refund you, log on to your credit card website/call your bank and file a chargeback.

8. maxsilver

maxsilver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Delta Electronics certainly does make legitimate versions of these power supplies. This model ADP330AB D is what was included with my MSI GT75 Titan.

Ryan Russ and Falkentyne like this.
  9. Ryan Russ

Reputations:
    It doesn't bode too well in that case. After removing the screws it should pop apart. Some of these power supplies are remarkable in the fact they are so crappy. I do have two extras, one with a 4 pin cord and the other with a 5.5mm barrel plug. The 5.5mm is one I modded personally from a Dell 330adp to fit my old p157.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.