Fake 330w Power Adapter or just poor quality??

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by MKazmer, Dec 8, 2017.

1. MKazmer

MKazmer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Excellent, thank you very much for the thorough response. I have bought all the things needed and just waiting for it to arrive now. I decided also to delid and wonder if I should replace the heat spreader with one of the upgraded versions from Poland.

Like this:
    IHS2.jpg

Darker01 likes this.
  2. Darker01

Darker01 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You're welcome. You weren't the first to ask me how I added the MOSFET. I had that response prepared awhile ago. You sounded like you know what to expect, so I guess sharing my experience with you will do more good than harm.

Another after-market IHS you should consider is the one for Skylake from BitsPower. Regardless of whichever IHS you choose, you probably need to lap the IHS (and maybe the heat sink itself) until it's perfectly flat. Clevo machines often have their heat sinks warped, and the easiest way to check for this is by observing the distribution of thermal paste on the IHS. Thicker uneven locations equals larger heat sink-IHS gap.

If you want to go absolutely bonker with modifications to lower CPU temp, see this and give Mr. Fox some reps.

3. MKazmer

Reputations:
    Oh very nice, love the info I'm getting here. I think this is a good platform to push the limits on. At first I was rather disappointed when I was told that it couldn't even take a 1060, but things have changed since then and I'm starting to like this rig. It runs my 3D programs well enough, but starts lagging on the bigger jobs. That's what got me to look for improvements. The 1070 isn't out of reach price wise, but at $700 I just don't think the performance increase will be enough to account for the cost.

Getting back to the primary topic, I think I'm going to need a bigger power supply once I add those FETs. 150w GPU, 95w CPU, RAM, fans, etc will put me around 300w. A high efficiency 330w adapter will be needed. Advice on which one to get will be appreciated. I'm not cheap, but I do like to be cost effective and would rather not spend $230 on something if I can find it for $130.

This is all appreciated very much

4. Darker01

Darker01 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Imagine my profound disappointment when I found that the upgrade path of my P750ZM being at best a TDP-limited GTX 1070. When all else fails, at least your P750DM has the option to jam a desktop GPU in. IMHO NGFF/M.2 eGPU is the more cost-effective GPU upgrade solution here albeit slightly bulkier.

Back to the main topic: I know Clevo resellers like RJTech, Eurocom, and HIDEvolution offer 330W upgrades for a cool $165. Still, check software settings and whatnot to make sure that it isn't software issue or Windows 10 being utter garbage. Take Khenglish's words over mine.

EDIT: 330W PSU brands I've seen are LiteOn and Delta, and there's only one 330W PSU design with 4-PIN DIN around. Generic unbranded 330W PSUs from China exist and occasionally pop up on eBay, but I wouldn't touch those. Delta's your safest bet here still. Both Eurocom and HIDEvolution have presence on NBR forums, and they are pretty reputable.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  5. MKazmer

Reputations:
    Ya, the ZM really got the shaft. NGFF/M.2 eGPU is awesome, but my clients would be wondering if their home is going to burn down. If I can get my machine running VR smoothly, I will be very pleased.

This PSU is a Delta 330w that's supposedly for a Clevo P370SM-A, and maybe that's the problem. It seems like it's being recognized as a 230w or lower. I haven't found anything in the settings yet, but I haven't had alot of time to look through the settings yet. I will take a closer look tomorrow. I'm just using my 230w adapter for now to try and finish a project.

I'm surprised no one else has had this issue. I might order one from HID or Eurocom so that I know for sure I have one intended for this machine.

6. Darker01

Darker01 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There are other implementations other than that prone-to-overheating adapter designed for mining rigs. The more expensive PE4C v4.1 gives you the assurance that power delivery is properly managed, but enough about that.

Still though, if the PSU crapped out during any of your benchmark, the battery would discharge, or you get an instant shut down. When you have time, run the benchmarks with HWInfo logging in the background with both PSU's.

EDIT: Try doing the benchmarks with a full battery this time. Not sure if it affects anything, but for the sake of consistency.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  7. MKazmer

Reputations:
    I tried using a full battery, it didn't make a difference. I'm going to try and exchange it for a different adapter. I just don't feel I should be having these kinds of issues with this adapter.

I also plan to delid, redo the thermal padding on my GPU, and make some other changes to try and reduce heat.

Thank you again for all the help everyone has provided here.

8. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    fake == poor quality :D

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  9. MKazmer

Reputations:
    I havent been here in a while, but while I was gone I delidded my 6700k and swapped out my 980m for a 1060. It's giving better benchmarks, but I know it can do even better than what I'm seeing. I get a 13500 3DMk11 score with a 14000+ graphics score.

What's weird about the CPU delid is that my idle temps went up while my benchmarking temps went down a couple degrees and are more consistent across the cores. I used Thermal Grizzly conductonaut for the relidding of the CPU and also the repaste. Idk, it's a weird result

10. MKazmer

Reputations:
    I decided to redo the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and also delidded/relidded again and lapped the 6700k IHS this time. I will post up some pics later. My 6700k cpu max core temp dropped 10C degrees from 75C to 65C on stock clocks during a 3DMark11 run. My physics and combined score went up, possibly due to the better temps, though I'm not sure. The 330W brick seems to run the GTX 1060 just fine. No idea why it was giving a lower score with the 980m, but it doesn't really matter now, I suppose.

One thing that is weird to me is that my idle temps seem to have increased a little, while my max core temps under load are quite a bit lower now. Anyhow, my machine is running much faster and better in general and should last a while before any upgrading is necessary again.

Thank you again to everyone who offered support here, there was some very helpful advise and I appreciate it all very much.

Falkentyne likes this.