Fake 330w Power Adapter or just poor quality??

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by MKazmer, Dec 8, 2017.

1. MKazmer

MKazmer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    EDIT: This was a bad adapter that failed in 3.5 months of use and AdapterFamily.com will not replace it, despite my request to exchange it the first week I received it. I do NOT recommend giving this company your business. They do not stand by their product and either deal in counterfeit or possibly sell known problematic.refurb products that they acquire at a discounted rate without informing the buyer.

I bought a 330w Delta adapter (Which is supposedly a decent brand) from a company whose name I will omit for the time being and was eager to benchmark my Clevo P750DM-G since I also recently upgraded from a i5 6500 to an i7 6700k. I also run a G-Sync version GTX 980m 8GB GPU with an upgraded and slightly overclocked vBIOS. I also run 16GB of Hyperx DDR4 running at 2400MHz. I am only running a 1080p screen for now since it's the most I can handle with the programs I use.

I was expecting to see great results with the new power adapter since I hit some power limits with the stock 230w Chicony, however, my 3D Mark 11 benchmarks actually went down... :(

At first, I thought maybe a throttling issue of sorts, until I re-evaluated HWinfo and GPUz. That's when I decided to measure the power it was pulling from the wall. The new 330w adapter pulls a whopping 206 peak watts from the wall, while my 230 watt chicony rocks out a steady 217 watts during benchmarking with 3D Mark 11.

I will attach screenshots of the results for those of you who are interested.

I am a person who likes to get the best possibly deal without sacrificing on quality and so I contacted this company before purchasing and they assured me this power adapter is legit. Sadly, it's not...

I paid $99 for this poor quality adapter. I just placed an order for a authentic Chicony and look forward to receiving it. I will post back when I have results.

I will consider this a lesson learned and offer the advice to stick with reputable brands like Chicony. A power adapter is not something you want to go cheap on.

Benchmark and HWinfo with 230w Chicony:
    220W with 3DMark and HWinfo.png

Benchmark and HWinfo with 330w Delta:
    330W with 3DMark and HWinfo.png

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    ChanceJackson likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A lot of people are either selling duds or things that don't live up to the specs in the first place.
    For example, I've seen plenty of chargers online being sold (from Amazon no less) that end up either not working from the get go, or the capacity is much lower than what it should be (this is usually in the case of batteries for mobile phones and laptops).

For things like batteries and chargers, you really need to find reputable sources that won't overcharge you, but at the same time won't sell you a piece of trash that doesn't work.

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A power supply can't cause throttling. Exceeding the limits of an AC Adapter will just make it shut off and switch to battery power.
    Did you see if your laptop is switching to battery during your tests? Battery switch like this should require the PSU to be UNPLUGGED to reset it if it happens.

Are you using a PREMA BIOS?
    However a counterfeit PSU with a 19.0v rating rather than 19.5v may cause issues.

The Delta 330W PSU is rated for: 19.5V, 16.9A.
    Can you take a picture of your back of your PSU (Clearly please)?

Khenglish likes this.
  4. MKazmer

Reputations:
    It's very unfortunate. One thing I'm considering is that there is perhaps a setting on my computer that it preventing it from utilizing the power of the new power supply. However, that would not account for why it's giving less power than my 230w brick. Deltas are supposedly good power supplies, so maybe someone swapped out the internals, or maybe it's counterfeit. The only thing that's known is that it's not working well with my laptop and it's very frustrating.

5. MKazmer

Reputations:
    image1.jpeg It is 19.5v, at least that's what it says

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  6. MKazmer

Reputations:
    Please excuse my ignorance, but where should I look to see if it's switching to battery power? And what would cause it to do this?

thank you for the help

7. MKazmer

Reputations:
    Prema BIOS.PNG
    Also, I am using a Prema BIOS. I will attach a CPUz capture to show which one.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thank you

9. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The simplest is to bench with the battery pulled and see if the laptop turns off during testing.

If you're worried about the tiny chance of data loss from the above method, your laptop has LEDs for battery power and wall power. If wall power cuts out the wall power LED will turn off, and your framerate will drop to around 1/4th of what it was until the PSU turns back on a few seconds later.

If the PSU never turns off then it is doing exactly what it should be doing and your problem lies elsewhere.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    steberg and Vasudev like this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Several things can contribute towards throttling... most frequent one being too high temperatures.
    However, that does not appear to be the case here.

Also, which power mode is set in Windows?
    Power saver, Balanced or High Performance?
    Try setting the laptop to High Performance and also checking GPU Boost 2 (to see if its been disabled).
    I could have sworn I saw someone mentioning that GPU Boost 2 being disabled contributes to lower scores.

Also try to undervolt the CPU - afraid you cannot do this with Maxwell or Pascal GPU's because Nvidia tied the voltages to the clocks it would seem.

But generally it just looks like your system isn't getting the juice it needs - which is why it would be prudent to check the power settings in Windows.

Apart from that, try removing the overclock on the GPU.
    Have you made any changes to the BIOS when changing the power supply?