Faint Ghosting finally noticed

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by SR45, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SR45

SR45 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Didn't think I had it, and felt sorry for those that noticed it, but just now I restarted my system after a download and noticed some faint ghosting that mimics the online favorite/google page. I saw a faint vertical line straight down that divided my favorites from the main google page, and saw another faint area where the task bar was. Had a black wallpaper that showed well

God only knows if this will get worse over time or not, but it does not look good.

It does fade away within minutes however

I tried to get a picture of it but it was too faint for my camera but this photo below is what I saw in the ghosting when I rebooted system, not when I minimized the page.

[​IMG]

2. bogatyr

bogatyr Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I see ghosting between the bios screen and the windows login. I can see "Lenovo" faintly when it shows the windows boot screen.

EDIT: W520 FHD

3. SR45

SR45 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    got this lousy hand held picture of the ghosting.

[​IMG]

4. SR45

SR45 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone has experience with this type of small burn in ?

Will it get worse over time as the system ages ?

Has this happen to the other Lenovo notebooks of late ?

5. kirayamato26

kirayamato26 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This looks bad. I've never seen anything like it with a LCD screen. Have you left it on with that image for a long time? According to Wikipedia, it may be corrected by constantly cycling through colours. If that doesn't do anything, I'd call Lenovo.

6. Syberia

Syberia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is not normal. LCD screens do not "burn in."

Though it's not a Thinkpad, I've never experienced anything like this on my screen.

7. afhstingray

afhstingray Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    LCD screens do experience burn in rare cases. and i think what is being described here is image persistence

Both plasma-type and LCD-type displays exhibit a similar phenomenon called transient image persistence, which is sometimes confused with screen burn but is not permanent.

8. afhstingray

afhstingray Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    yes, if you call them they'll likely send you a small software package that does this and ask you to run it. if that fails then they may replace the screen

9. SR45

SR45 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did not leave on for long at all. About one minute, perhaps a tad less and rebooted to see if the burn in was present. It was. Went away after a few minutes. Tried it a few times more and got the same results.

I'm thinking if its just a few that notice this, than we got a bad batch perhaps. If anyone else cares to test this out with a black background, using Internet Explorer for a minute or so and reboot to see if you notice any slight burn in, would be helpful. I already called tech support and got a work order number, but have to call monday for a follow up.

By the way, not related. I found a Lenovo support Chat site and tried to use it yesterday and no one was available. Funny, the site says they are open saturdays but this is twice now, one on Saturday and another one on Thurday that no one was on Chat to chat with. Guess they haven't updated the date/time they want to work. :frown:

10. SR45

SR45 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK, here is a better picture folks....

White arrow are the burn in (Task bar area and vertical line where it divided the IE9 favorites from
    Google area) and the red arrows are the bleed that many are talking about. What would you do ?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.