F.e.a.r.

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by doobie04, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomas

Tomas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gotta say, I was a little disappointed by the demo. I had played it at E3 and thought it was the greatest thing ever, but now that i've gone through it several times, i'm not so sure. Am I the only one that doesn't want to grab a ladder before you can use it? The pacing also felt kinda wonky to me. I dunno how to explain it but it just seemed that you either had 6 guys coming at you or you were just walking around in mostly barren halls and rooms. I do like the enemy AI and animations. They do a good job of covering each other and hiding behind stuff, though if you play through it more than once you notice some of it seems scripted. Of course the slow mo effect is friggin awesome and i did enjoy just blowing crap up just to see the physics model at work. I just wanted more objects to use it with. I love the shotgun and all the other weapons, they really work well with the slow mo feature. The graphics are, as you have all seen screenshots and videos, very nice. The atmosphere was alright but I did expect it to be scarier and maybe that's again, because of the pacing. Most of the supernatural stuff seems to be fed to you in large portions all at once. I would rather have seen it spread evenly throughout the level with little, more sporadic scares. The only part that startled me was near the end by the ladder (I won't give it away). The voice acting and animations during your intro briefing weren't of the highest quality either. I know it's not finished and i'm just picking it apart, so i'll shut up and take another look at it when it is released.

2. doobie04

doobie04 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. JackBauer

JackBauer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think some of my problems are hardware-related (i.e., aging technology). My system is almost two years old, so the technology used by a game like FEAR really push the limits of what I can do at higher settings. I cut back to Medium and had no more crashes, but the graphics were severely degraded with lots of jaggies even at 4X AA.

I've been considering going for an XPS2. When the 40% coupons appear again, in another six weeks or so, I think I'll take the plunge and see what the XPS2 is all about.

4. Dexeaur

Dexeaur Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    you think an x600 or an x700 be able to play it?

5. lowlymarine

lowlymarine Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Certainly, but you'll have to sacrifice some video settings (even more for the x600 than the x700). It should still looks great, though.

6. LuckMC11

LuckMC11 Computer Extraoirdinaire NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
  7. Shadowlord

Shadowlord Newbie

Reputations:
    I just played with my ATI MRX700 128mb and it was so NICE.

My setting is 1024x768 , all medium setting but minimum setting for shadow and off the FSAA

8. Elias

Elias Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This looks quite interesting. I'll definately download it. I was hoping 3DGamers would have a torrent for it, but I didn't see one. I would prefer to get it from a torrent, as I get faster download speeds that way, and it is much more stable (for me, at least).

I'll try downloading it from 3ddownloads.com

9. Tomas

Tomas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. Elias

Elias Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh, awesome. Thanks for sharing the link, Tomas. It is much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.