F-911

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Big Calhoun, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReverendDC

ReverendDC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Two things you should never talk about-religion and politics. Unfortuately, someone opened the can, so I guess I have to start preaching.

Both of the candidates are horrible. They are born-and-bred politicians, with no concept of how the regular man lives, or what us average Joes require for our day to day existence. Every candidate in the race this year is a millionare. The "poorest" candidate is Cheney, and he is still very rich. How about Kerry marrying the widow of a fellow senator that died tragically (not to mention a ketchup (or catsup) heiress with LOTS of money). Or Bush, who basically inherited a fortune. What does he do? Buys the Texas Rangers, then he buys Texas, then he buys the United States (with a little help from Jeb). Do these guys know what "working" means?

Look, we are entering a time of regrettable presidents. I feel that Clinton was a decent president...I'm not going to put his face on Mt. Rushmore, but he did a good job. The younger Bush has already been regrettable, putting more emphasis on gay marriage than the lagging economy, and shipping US jobs away en masse at a time where even those dollars would come in handy.

Now there is Kerry, a war hero. I commend anyone who fights for what they feel is right, and I will not take this away from Kerry. However, as a person and a politician, he his regrettable. I don't feel that the man believes in anything right now. My feeling is that he will believe in whatever will get him elected. Bush gets told what to believe in (after all, he isn't exactly the pick of the litter intelligence-wise). Kerry, it seems, just does not care.

Just for a week, I would like to see any of these men work a McDonald's or as a sanitation worker, or a bus driver, or a secretary, or something where they actually earn their keep. Maybe then they will have a deeper understanding of what we go through on a daily basis here on earth. The rich are getting a LOT richer, and the poor are getting a LOT poorer, and the middle class is basically disappearing. This is part of a pattern that has been seen the world over for millenia. Please allow me to explain.

Look at the Mesopotamian empires of early years..the top 5% controlled the wealth, and thus, the power. Ancient Egypt, same thing. Rome, same thing, Middle Ages kingdoms, same thing, Chinese dynasties, same thing.

Now we come to the Unites States, a country founded on the theoretical belief that this pattern could be broken (yes, I know, the Founding Fathers were all rich men, the top 5%, to be precise). By the end of the 19th Century, and well into the 20th Century, this seemed to be at least partly true. The rich were really rich, but the poorest voted at every opportunity, and turned the mob into a real political power. This really facilitated and basically created the middle class in America. We have taken a big step backwards in the last 20 years, starting with Reaganomics (yes, I know he is dead, but that doesn't change his legacy, good or bad).

The two candidates personify this step backwards in the US. Two rich guys with only their and their buddies' interests at heart, and be dam*ed the rest of you peasants!!!

Where is FDR when you need him? I mean, he WAS the last rich guy to really care about us.

Colin Powell for President (if only because he seems to care about something)!

2. Gatch

Gatch Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure if Colin Powell ran with McCain they would get 80% of the vote.

3. Quikster

Quikster Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I haven't been able to pull up my history to get the articles, happened to long ago so I'll have to do some actual surfing, but in the meantime here is another article talking about how much Kerry's releif package for the middle class and cutting the deficit wont work with anything he has proposed.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20040712-121948-6467r.htm

zx5000 :: 2.4M :: 512 DDR :: 40gb 4200 RPM HD :: 15.4" :: Radeon 9600 Mobilty M10 :: Aquamark3 22,856

4. ReverendDC

ReverendDC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by Quikster

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  5. Quikster

Reputations:
    Yes they have, try looking at the stock market trend, they started to go down BEFORE Bush could have ever done anything to make them go down. Also, the ecomonmy is finally going again and is almost back up to peak heights.

zx5000 :: 2.4M :: 512 DDR :: 40gb 4200 RPM HD :: 15.4" :: Radeon 9600 Mobilty M10 :: Aquamark3 22,856

6. Quikster

Reputations:
    Here is another article, this one specifically goes into analysis of F-911.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/

7. Wyrm

Wyrm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Although I am biased against Republicans I would like to see Colin Powell as a President. Unfortunately for many, I remember him saying in an interview that he does not believe that a black guy can be elected as a President in the US. He is a really great politician. He persuaded North Korea to start negotiations on their nuclear program and persuaded Iran to let UN in to look after Iran's nuclear plants and then... Bush announced his "axis of evil" so all Powell's efforts were screwed up in one second. [:)]

To Quikster:
    I do not quite agree with you on the raising tax issues. Alan Greenspan has also criticized Bush's tax policies because they are negligible for small and medium-size businesses. I would like to see him lower the taxes for self-employed and small businesses. As to why economy is slowly picking up: due to US dollar drop (accomplished by Alan) with respect to other currencies American companies become more competitive in international market hiring more people. Without it the outsourcing would be like tsunami. On the other hand, do not be too optimistic about economy. High oil prices always (according to history) cause recession in US economy, what is the oil price now? [:D] Stock market (Dow, NASDAQ) has also been stalled for about 6 months. The national debt is striding to its doom with a pace of 500 billions a year due to Bush's tax cuts and unreasonable war. Do you know who will pay it back after a while? Taxpayers like you and me. That is, he has just taken our money and money of our kids to make tax cuts for his beloved Halliburtons. Is it recovery? Is it what Bush is telling you. In fact, economy is in the world of **** due to many, many reasons. You do not need business/commerce education to figure it out.

8. noahsark

noahsark Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As far as I can tell, Moore is a fanatic and hardly objective. In general, I am HIGHLY skeptical of information coming from fanatics, like Moore and Limbaugh, and anyone else that can't reason without going gonzo. I am also skeptical of anything politicians say. I want facts and data, not opinions.

On the Bush vs. Kerry front, my father in law pointed me to a web site that describes a Yale fraternity called Skull and Bones, of wich both Bush AND Kerry are members. The group is notorious for getting its members into positions of power and influence to further goals of the group. Links:
    Skull & Bones
    http://www.parascope.com/articles/0997/skullbones.htm
    http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0122-10.htm

On presidents and the economy: I was listening to NPR this morning and was surprised to hear them talking to a guy from the Wall Street Journal who said that the president has limited effect on the economy, aside from influencing government spending. He said the economy was like an oceanliner and the president is definitely NOT at the helm. Link to audio from NPR:
    http://www.npr.org/rundowns/rundown.php?prgDate=23-Jul-2004&prgId=3

9. Wyrm

Wyrm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On economy, you can read this:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/markets/us/2004-07-23-dow-below-10000_x.htm

It is usatoday.com -> money -> "Stocks tumble as Dow drops back below 10,000".

I do agree that president's influence on economy is pretty limited. For president to be influential he/she must have economic education/background. On the other hand, when we elect presidents we look at completely different traits. For example, some people would like to see a determined and confident person in the office. What if he/she is confident and determined to jump into abyss? What if he/she is just wrong but so confident that unable to figure it out? Think of him/her as an employee and yourself as an employer! You are going to hire someone for a position of the president. What kind of skills are very important for a president and which are just desirable? Personally me, I do not care of his/her love affairs just like your employer does not care about yours. I do not care if he/she is married or not, what kind of religion he/she belongs to and what is his/her private life. Unfortunately, for many it is better to elect a religious and married person with perfect family life who basically does not have enough skills to be at the head of the state's economy and politics.

10. Big Calhoun

Big Calhoun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well the DNC has started and so far, I haven't been impressed. Alot of the same rhetoric, albeit, more toned down than usual. Personally, I think this will be Kerrys stumbling block. Kerry has been 'flexible' on issues in the past and this is where people will be listening to see where he stands on the issues. I hope he has someone that has reexamined his past speeches and rants so he can sound somewhat consistent.

Relative to the original topic, Michael Moore has given Bill Oreilly a interview to on tonight on the Oreilly factor. Should be an interesting conversation. Judging from last nights sound bite, it sounds like Moore will be the interviewer and Oreilly will be the interview-ee.

Anyone catch the flap over Kerry-Heinzs comments yester "Go Shove it"? I don't think it's a big deal and most stations only played a limited sound bite so you really couldn't get the full gist of the conversation. Of course, the media will pursue it like they did Cheney. I did hear an interesting perspective last night and after thinking about it, it may not be too far from the truth. Alot seem to think that she is acting as the lightning rod for Kerry. When kerry f's up, she does something to take the spotlight and attention. Not a bad strategy considering his position.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.