Extreme Thermal Mods - 2007 MacBook Pro 3,1

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by pressing, Nov 5, 2017.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Discovered a downside to drilling holes in the casebottom. Speakers sound a bit anemic after the thermal mod. Obvious reduction in lower frequencies.

Apple seems to be using using the "sealed" case to tune the speakers, especially for lower frequencies.

So, if you are experiencing thermal issues on your MacBook Pro, consider repasting the CPU & GPU first. If thermal issues persist, drilling holes in the case bottom might help thermals but may reduce sound quality from the internal speakers.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:

Have you tried to put high density foam on the fan holes to "seal up" the airflow?

Vasudev and pressing like this.
  3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting question. Not yet.

There is a small gap between the case bottom and the fan case bottoms. I could seal that with silicone or round foam donuts. Didn't think much about it (although I carefully sealed the exhaust radiator to the back panel). This guy said the foam donut seal improved his cooling significantly:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...to-your-laptop-heres-how.745654/#post-9572894

Sealing the case bottom with 2x round foam donuts would probably not improve acoustics much because both fan enclosures have large vents on the top and the bottom. So the case would remain "unsealed" acousticly.

I suspect the fans intake air from both the top and bottom vents (but am not sure). I could run some tape on top of the fan enclosures and that would probably:

1. increase cold air intake from below the laptop

2. reduce intake seeping in from the keyboard (which probably helps keep some components cool (e.g. vrm)

3. acousticly seal laptop better providing better speaker response closer to factory (which did sound good for a laptop)

Might give the donut idea a try for fun optimization but not sure about taping the top of the fan enclosures. Any recommendations?

4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    I would just try foam donut first before anything tbh.

pressing likes this.