External G-sync monitor FPS drops to 0 /freeze/stutter temporary fix

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by qwerty0025, May 24, 2017.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Have you bug reported that to Nvidia?

2. rargall

rargall Newbie

Reputations:
    Thought I'd make an account to reply here - thought I was just having problems with my own Monitor/Laptop set up (I have a Alienware 15R3 1070 hooked up to a x34a), and surprised and a little shocked to see it's a common problem!

I've updated to the latest drivers, 388.59 (12/07/2017) but still having the same problems - gameplay is fine but menus/loading/2d overlays seems to absolutely tank the frame rate to where it freezes for a tiny bit. If the monitor is not hooked up, then everything's fine.

Is anyone else still experiencing this or have the drivers of about November time seemed to fix it for most?

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Is it across multiple titles?

4. qwerty0025

qwerty0025 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey, What's up guys? :) Been really busy lately so no gaming here. I've been using 388.00 until this point. Any news regarding the old issues? They just released 388.71 any experiences?

5. hexum23

hexum23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven’t tried 388.71 yet, but I’ve tried everything else since 388.00 and no real stuttering issues anymore. The only issue I sometimes have, and this may be totally unrelated, is I occasionally have a problem if I’m alt-tabbing between multiple games/programs. Sometimes when I return to a game, it runs very slow as if the graphics cards haven’t kicked into performance mode yet. An alt tab out and back in usually fixes it.

6. INVNTIV

INVNTIV Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone. Here's my experiences so far.
    GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    Driver: 388.71
    I have a ASUS VG278HV (144hz) via Dual-Link DVI and ASUS ROG PG279Q (1440p 144hz, G-Sync) via DisplayPort. This is my normal dual-screen setup, and I have no issues when using it.
    When I plug in an HDMI cable, my dual-screen setup goes off and my system switches to my large 60hz LCD TV that I use for couch gaming. It is here that I start noticing my issues. I have normal max framerates, but very common intermittent frame time spikes that see my GPU usage plummeting to 0. I noticed this around the time that the November updates went out.

Just thought I would share my experience in case any details of my usage scenario are useful. Hope there is a fix soon for this annoyance.

7. qwerty0025

qwerty0025 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Seems to be an ongoing issue still. https://forums.geforce.com/default/...thread-released-1-8-18-/post/5272037/#5272037

8. Claytankozmo

Claytankozmo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have an Acer X34 monitor and I'm running an Alienware 17R4. For me ever since the creators update back in April it started stuttering when I used my external monitor, and I had to use 378 drivers. Since 387 I can confirm that the problem has been largely rectified and its playable but it is 100% not as smooth as 378 drivers still. Microstutters when loading UI or people joining and leaving, I wish I knew exactly what the malfunction is but it seems like nothing but reverting is an option. Are we still making noise about this? Wtf did they do to gsync?

9. qwerty0025

qwerty0025 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have no idea M8 . I've kinda learned to live with the small micro stutter and also with stutter when playing borderless windowed mode. It's still an ongoing issue in the forums.

We could rally up again and make some noise. Twitter is also a good place to complain :)

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It can depend on the game too, something like shadow warrior 2 for me does not hitch but a title like dirty bomb just wont run properly in SLI anymore.