External G-sync monitor FPS drops to 0 /freeze/stutter temporary fix

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by qwerty0025, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hexum23

hexum23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I’ve been away from this thread for a while. I finally got around to testing the new hot fix driver briefly last night and the stutter was still happening and I had to roll back to 378.xx driver. Per the quotes you posted, maybe the hot fix driver is designed to work with the latest windows and update. I hope so! Please let us know.

2. qwerty0025

qwerty0025 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Honestly guys I'm not sure about this one. For me the Hotfix lessened the stutter drastically. Now that I updated to the latest windows 1709 it's difficult to see the improvements , but it seems that it's a little bit better. I think the only thing is to give feedback about the hotfix driver if it didn't fix it and also It would be awesome if someone whose problem wasn't fixed would try the newest version. Otherwise the version seems to work just smooth no complains as of yet.

I did however before my update remove the gamebar etc. using this and it didn't come back after the update :D
    https://www.tenforums.com/gaming/86858-how-remove-gaming-settings.html#post1053698

Feedback: http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6
    Windows Update here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

openglcg and hexum23 like this.
  3. sumwhatkiller

sumwhatkiller Newbie

Reputations:
    New official driver out everyone (388.00), and according to the release notes they have made it clear that this problem is limited to certain applications and the GTX 1080 mobile card.

[Notebook][GeForce GTX 1080][G-Sync]: Stuttering occurs while playing games such as Doom, CS Go, and Witcher 3 on the external display. [1995267]

I am downloading it as we speak... post your results and give them some feedback in the official feedback thread

I'll post update here once I get a chance.

Edit: A few minutes of testing on my GTX 1070 + PG248Q@180hz indicated that the update does in fact improve the problem ten-fold.
    I'm able to tell that the problem still exists as I get drops to 1fps briefly in the same applications that the issue was present in before, but it doesn't last longer than a few milliseconds. Barely an issue.

One of the most obvious applications where the remenants of the problem can be seen is in Kodi, you will see what I mean with the short fps drops when navigating Kodi's UI.

A 7-month game-breaking issue has finally been (mostly) resolved. What a relief. Maybe I shouldn't speak to soon...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    hexum23 likes this.
  4. openglcg

openglcg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LOL the 1080 thing is just a troll at this point. Hey at least they mostly fixed it though. It seems like they really hacked in the fix this time. I will put it to the test because tomorrow destiny 2 comes out and I'm gonna want the optimized drivers.

Going to test it on heroes of the storm as that game will actually not even play on the broken drivers. Should be about as good of a comparison tool as I can come up with.

5. qwerty0025

qwerty0025 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Tested briefly with DDU install. Works really well :D

openglcg likes this.
  6. Maineiac12

Maineiac12 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm picking up Destiny 2 this weekend so I'll have to install these drivers. Everything still working fine?

openglcg likes this.
  7. qwerty0025

qwerty0025 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Playing destiny 2 works fine. Had one crash though but I think it was due to overclocking the GPU not sure.

openglcg, Stress Tech and hexum23 like this.
  8. jaime360

jaime360 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Perfectly fine!

openglcg likes this.
  9. hexum23

hexum23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been hesitant to post that everything is working the way it should, but it does seem like everything is working now! The g-sync stutter with external display has not come back since updating to 388.00. So far I've put some good time into Destiny 2, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, Divinity Original Sin 2, Fortnite, and no real issues. I might have seen a second of stutter during one of the menu screens in I think Overwatch, but I could be overanalyzing. So far I'm really happy. I'm still on pre-creator's update as a precaution with the older drivers. For others reporting the problem solved, are you running the last version of windows?

openglcg likes this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes this driver is looking good to me too.

openglcg, Stress Tech and Maineiac12 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.