External display adapters (HDMI, mini-DP, Thunderbolt) on Lenovo P70?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by rlk, Oct 25, 2017.

1. rlk

rlk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anyone gotten any of the external display adapters to work under any flavor of Linux on the above laptop? My specific configuration is a Xeon E3-1505Mv5 and nVidia M4000M. I happen to be using openSUSE 42.3, and I've never been able to get the M4000M to work by any means other than optirun and primusrun (which is enough to get me openCL, which is my primary use case for the fast graphics adapter for image processing, so I'm getting meaningful use out of it).

The issue is that this laptop, like most such, is an Optimus setup. But Optimus seems to mean a lot of different underlying hardware setups. If I'm understanding matters correctly, the internal display is wired to the integrated HD530 while at least the HDMI, and quite possibly the miniDP (I have no idea about the Thunderbolt), are wired through the discrete adapter. I tried the mini-DP via a mini-DP->HDMI adapter. When I connect either mini-DP or HDMI to an external HDMI TV, the TV can clearly see that there's something on the other end but doesn't receive a signal; the laptop briefly flashes "No external display" or something similar on the screen (I'm presuming something in the X stack is detecting something being added, tries to connect to it, and fails), and xrandr -q doesn't show any other display.

I've tried using optirun and primusrun, also with no luck.

2. rlk

rlk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. rlk

rlk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I booted Knoppix, which I believe uses the Nouveau driver. It won't talk over HDMI either -- unless I set the BIOS to discrete graphics only, in which case it will not talk to the internal display but will connect just fine over HDMI.

Windows connects unreliably over HDMI in addition to the internal display when it's set to hybrid. Set to discrete only, the internal display won't work (I didn't try the external display).

So it would appear that they don't have things fully debugged yet.