External Antenna Hack

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Boosted... If you are unsure what a BIOS is... This may be over your head for the time being... You can read for months to finally get all the ducks in a row.... But you still must have the skills with a soldering iron, the proper tools and a lot of patience.

Yes... We do get off topic... If we didn't blow off steam, well.... we wouldn't still be here.

2. boostedB5

boostedB5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now, I have electronics experience. In fact, I have a lot more experience than most. I have successfully built a few Megasquirt EMS's from a bare board and a BOM and nothing more than a Weller WCTCP and hand tools. I have built and installed numerous other standalone EMS's, and in the case of my current project, it is the first of it's kind to EVER be installed on my chosen platform (which means there was no startup maps, no schematics and no support. -basically, remove everything, wiring and all, replace every sensor, every wire and figure out how to configure everything from scratch, then design and write every tuning and operating parameter/fuel maps, ignition maps and the like, and make it all work. -It took nearly a month to figure out the instrument cluster and OVER a month to get the digital climate control working without the factory ECU and with only my standalone EMS.
    When it comes to computer related though, I just don't have much experience, and I don't know the lingo.
    For instance the "BIOS" -once I found a wiki page that guided me through control panel and ultimately to my device manager, I knew what that was, I just didn't know what that was called!

I am totally comfortable with soldering (and microsoldering and rework) and have the right tools to do pretty much everything I am reading about in here.

Where I seem to get TOTALLY lost is when I have to (for a good example) find a driver, DL, install, and get it to work... I never got the fundamentals down, and it hinders thehell out of me every time I need to do something with my PC.
    DL-ing and installing updates and the correct software / firmware versions for my AEM EMS was like pulling teeth. that which is the easiest part of the setup for most (under 10 minutes start to finish) took me a day to figure out
    (although when it comes to building an ignition map and setting up air temp correction tables or boost comp fuel map, I am about 10x as fast as most so I do make up for my handicap sometimes ;) )

I have mods that I am most interested in doing right away, and I have found just about everything I need here on NBR. I think I simply need to re-read each writeup a couple times today, and then order everything I need and I should be able to handle most, if not all of the mods myself.
    -change CD to DVD
    -install GPS
    -add memory
    -wireless card
    + antennas

then of course the installation of the auxiliary touchscreen, auxiliary keyboard and dock.

Here's an interesting fact I have just discovered for myself (not sure how much help this is to anyone here, but ya never know!)
    I had trouble getting the serial cable to fit into the "hole" of the serial port connector on the back of my CF-28, so I used a different serial cable and turned it into basically a DB9 extension cable / adapter.
    AEM EMS takes a MALE DB9, the laptop needs a female DB9. a M/F cable is supplied but the connector is too big, so I used another M/F with smaller connectors, and used it to connect from the existing female end to the laptop.
    -AEM EMS -- male cable female -- male cable female -- laptop
    This in effect works out to render your system nearly unusable! I don't know why, but the sensors gave false readings, nothing would work correctly and every reading on my on screen dashboard was WAY off.
    went back to one cable (the m/f with smaller ends) and everything is back to normal
    I tried 2 cables again on my PC which is a known working system with the AEM... -same thing kooky readings and malfunctions galore. -back to one cable (either of my M/F serial cables) and everything is fine.
    can anyone tell me WHY using 2 cables like this would cause such issues?

3. Doobi

Doobi ToughBook DeityInTraining

Reputations:
    I believe its the length, and too many connections. Signal get lost in space (which here, basically means Mnem got hungry and ate it!)

4. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The extension cable that was causing problems could be a null modem cable, not a straight through type
    In the null modem type pins 2 and pins 3 are crossed over
    Check for markings, and or confirm continuity
    Or…..The extension cable is just a piece of junk

Alex

5. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    I'm with Alex on this one;

Odds are your "questionable" cable is either JUNK, or is a "Null MODEM" cable.

See the schematic for a Null MODEM cable here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=428080

to help figure it out for yourself.

mnem
    Here... have some proton sauce for that electrical spaghetti...

6. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This a very interesting thread! However, it would be better if the pictures were still available... ;)

I would be very interesting in adding an outside antenna, to the lid of my CF-29, if this mod would apply to that unit.

Or is the consensus that the factory antennas are more then sufficient?

7. Finemedic

Finemedic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Me too... I would like to add some gain WIFI antennas to my CF-29 lid...

8. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I guess I don't understand why? Do you need a cantenna to connect to another mountain-top 10 miles away? How about adding a more powerful wifi card? Engenous makes a great 600mW wifi card that will just about double your power....

Lots of stuff you can do without resorting to antenna mods... Unless you were talking about high gain wifi cards.

9. Finemedic

Finemedic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think its my reception...I am trying to hit a wireless router that is located outside my garage. My garage is a "pole barn" with metal sheeting. Do you have a link where i can buy a Engenous card? I'll try it...

10. cptk

cptk Newbie

Reputations:
    Toughbook.......

I'm a CF-28 enthusiast and I've got my project PC...CF-28SUJ23DM that is in dire need of WIFI....internal or external. I'm reading your post but the pics don't show....could you repost so I can see the pics?

Appreciate your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.