External Antenna Hack

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Capranger,
    You can do anything you have asked about here, no soldering, just a couple of screws (get some GOOD screwdrivers). I would steer away from the techs at best buy. After you get to know a little you will notice that the mods here are not factory authorized and that non-Toughbook people tend to not understand them. Allegedly knowledgeable people with 17,396,483 rep points chime in here with the dumbest comments all the time. We call them Dells.
    CAP

2. aoprea

aoprea Newbie

Reputations:
    hi
    i have a HP nx6325 notebook with BCM4311 mini card wifi
    the card have 2 wires (one black and one white) that comes from LCD
    i think from specification that 2 pigtails wire connector are from main and secundar antenna that are in lcd
    i want to atach a external antenna to the notebook to the one of this 2 pigtail
    but i'm not sure wich one

can anybody help me ?

thanks

3. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:

Either one will work

Alex

4. sunrk

sunrk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The metal piece that the RP-SMA connector mounts on - is that a standard toughbook part (perhaps part of the factory RIM antenna kit) or a home made item? To seal it up, something like plain black silicone would do the job nicely or some sort of automotive gasket sealer. For sealing the actual connector, maybe something equivalent to a car tyre valve cover with a good o-ring to seal it would be the way to go.

Craig.

5. Vitaliy325

Vitaliy325 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, The pictures are gone, any place I can see the tutorial with pics, I'm doing the same mode now, and trying to figure out what antenna to get.

Thank you,

Vitaliy.

6. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Craig... You are quoting a post that is several years old... Action is long gone....

Vitaliy... This has been discussed and posted in several threads... You just need to search and read a little.

7. rufwork

rufwork Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, in his defense, this is the thread that's linked to in the FAQ on the 28 for putting in WiFi antennas. If you could readd the photos here, it'd be a big help to n00bs like myself.

8. boostedB5

boostedB5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    X2! the more photos the better!
    Check this out from my perspective:
    I am TOTALLY new to this. this is my very first laptop (CF-28PCJGZEB)
    I have spent the past few evenings and ALL day today reading everything I can find throughout this online community and others. (This forum is by far the best IMO)
    Most of you chit chat about these things as if it's second nature. but a good many of the posts are too far over the heads of anyone who doesn't really know the lingo and understand what you're talking about.

I notice a lot of the threads written as "How To's" seem to get off topic, never to regain focus on the subject matter.

I would love to learn more about my laptop and also learn how to mod it. I certainly have enough experience with electronics and soldering... -I just don't know my way around these laptops nor do I understand things like "RIM Board" (I want to install GPS, and one of the things the thread says is: it requires a "RIM" daughterboard...
    checking out the CF28 FAQ on "WHAT HAVE I GOT" it says to check your Bios... well, I'm not sure what a Bios is, NOR how I go about checking it.
    I don't know if anyone's thought of this, but perhaps a sticky for "CF28 PRE FAQ for complete noobs and idiots" might be a great thing to have! -I know I could sure use it!

9. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Boosted,
    We are what we am! The CF-28 FAQ has enabled hundreds of neophytes to learn every thing there is to know about all of the questions you have raised. If you have to work your way through a little puerile humor and discussion to find what you need man up and do it. There is a reason you are here looking for information, you have somehow found out that this is the best place to find it. We welcome you and are here to help you in anyway we can but we are not in the business of spoon feeding new comers, in fact we are not in business at all!
    We like our forum, and if a discussion of wi-fi cards somehow drifts over to the relative merits of different grain weight bullets for 7.62mm ammunition, that's just the way we are, we like us the way we are. Be patient with us, we'll be patient with you and don't be surprised if you end up liking the forum the way it is. Again, welcome.
    DSCF2033.JPG

DSCF2032.JPG
    Attached are two images of the internal antenna hack for your CF-28 just to get you started.
    CAP

10. boostedB5

boostedB5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm gettin it now! I didn't even realize some of these threads were started so long ago until that was pointed out to me after a reply in another thread. THAT explains why some of the pics and links are no longer there. thanks for posting those pics though!
    seeing that really makes me understand a lot more...

OK, the GPS mod... as in: adding an aftermarket GPS. I am probably going to buy the USGlobalSat engine because that is what is linked from the thread on doing a GPS install ;)
    What is meant by RIM daughterboard? Is that a type of daughterboard, or is it an optional device or ???
    how do I tell whether I have this or whether I need to find one?
    I'd like to install a fast responding and accurate GPS which I can use for maps/directions, but I also hope to use it as my Vehicle SPeed Sensor (I have a standalone engine management system)
    THe pics have me clear on what to expect for the antenna, but as for the GPS engine itself, I am not so sure what is meant when it says that I need a RIM DB or internal wireless card. got any pics that show what I need to look for?

As for liking this forum for what it is? -Notebookreview is absolutely without a doubt the BEST resource that I have found. no question about that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.