External Antenna Hack

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Station X

Station X Newbie

Reputations:
    I've got myself a 19" pigtail. Looking from underneath my wireless card is in the extreme left hand postion furtherest from the battery.

Is the place to drill the hole for the SMA socket the plastic cover to the right of the battery where there's a cut out in the metal chassis? How do I route the cable to the wireless card? There doesn't seem to be a way through. Is further dismantling needed?

Thanks.

2. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I've reformatted twice since I posted the original pictures.

Station... To answer your question... Yes.... To the right of the battery (With the laptop upside down and the cover off.)... You can fish the u.fl connector under the center section just behind the RAM and it will come out on the top section where the mini-pci cards are. Then you just pull it down to connect.

3. Station X

Station X Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Toughbook. Also thanks for the CD to DVD conversion details. That saved me an awful lot of money.

4. rickdog

rickdog Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK. I have the obvious question. Why can't the factory retractable lid antenna be used? That would seem to be the ideal. If not the factory retractable antenna, is there a new antenna tuned to the wifi freq that would fit the existing hole?

5. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Rickdog,
    You really need to search a little. Anyway there was a lot of trial and error on this subject. If your factory antenna was for cellular, ie. the RIM cards on the daughter board it is tuned for frequencies far different than wlan and doesn't work well for that. If you are replacing the Cisco wlan card in the hidden slot then it should work well. Some people have hacked the RIM modem antennas successfully, but they seem to have SWR meters and other ham radio gear and skills. The paddle antenna solution works fine, Toughbook re-posted the details here recently.
    CAP

6. ToughNut

ToughNut Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Will this help?

7. capt.dogfish

Reputations:
    ToughNut,
    That looks great, but I would caution anyone considering that location for the paddle antenna (and they should) to check the paddle antenna first. Both will fit there, but there is not a whole lot of extra room.
    CAP

8. ToughNut

ToughNut Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Paddles? But Capt, the cables are terminated to RP-SMAs for external antennae. I considered paddles behind the screen but I chickened out. However, for those needing to dock their TBs, don't install connectors in the rear.
    Cheers,
    Ron

9. capt.dogfish

Reputations:
    Ron,
    I meant the comment for people doing it Rick's way with the one external RP-SMA and one internal antenna. Most of us would not get into modding a fitting into the pass through location. Nice job though.
    CAP

10. Capranger101

Capranger101 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys i was reading the post on this and i just bought a cf-28, its all stock i got it from a guy on e-bay the unit is in mint condition only bad thing is no wifi its that old wirless crap they used.. Now to the question im no computer whiz so you might have to explain alittle. i opened the back and i have the (heart of your wirless) under the battery and its the sierra sb300 witch is a old service card now ive read there are cards for this machine to make it WiFi. If at all possible what are the best cards to buy where to buy them the model numbers the whole bit, and where to put them i know about the area under the HD. also are you able to utilize the antenna on the LCD and the Wireless button on the left front side of the handle. im trying to keep everything stock on this laptop im not really trying to have antenna sticking out everywhere and pcm? cards on the side sticking out mostly because im probably going to mount this in my restoration project my Ex-police cruiser 1995 Chevy Caprice 9c1. best buy told me if i get the parts they will do it for 50 bucks so if you guys know some good sites where i can get all i need. when i get everything im just going to take it up to them and tell them to install it and set it up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.