Experience with HIDEvolution - EVOC P650RG

Discussion in 'Reseller Feedback Forum' started by AxB, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxB

AxB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Final specs:
    EVOC P650RG 15.6" Custom Built Gaming Laptop w/ nVIDIA GTX 980M w/ G-Sync

LCD Panel
    15.6" 1920x1080 IPS FHD (16:9) LED Antiglare Matte Type Display w/ NVIDIA G-Sync Technology (LG)

Display Warranty
    30 days no Dead Pixel Warranty

Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M w/ 8GB GDDR5 w/ Unlocked Prema ...

Processor
    6th Generation Intel Core i7-6820HK Quad Core Processor, 2.7GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.6GHz), 8MB Smart Cache

Prema Custom BIOS - Latest Updated Version

Thermal Paste
    Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra 100% Metal Thermal Interface on CPU, IC Diamond on GPU

Memory
    32GB (2 x 16GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series Dual Channel DDR4/2666MHz

M.2 PCIe NVMe or SATA SSD Slot 1
    HIDevolution Specified 1TB M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD

1st 2.5" SSD Bay
    Samsung 850 EVO Series (3D VNAND Tech) SATA3 6Gb/s 1TB SSD

2nd 2.5" SSD Bay
    Empty HDD bay (with caddy/adapter)

Wireless Cards
    Intel 8260

Operating System
    Genuine Windows® 10 Home, 64bit, English - $80.00

Power Adapter
    200W AC Power Adapter (supports 100-240V)

Power Cord
    UK 6 Ft Power Cord C13 - $10.00

Internal Battery
    1 x 4 cell battery - 60Wh (Internal)

Audio
    Onkyo Speakers x 2

Back-lit Gaming Keyboard
    Customizable Gaming Macro Back-lit Keyboard

Keyboard Language
    U.S. English

Warranty and Service
    1 Year HIDevolution Limited Global Warranty + LIFETIME ...

06/07/2016 - After a long round of discussions and back and forth emails specs confirmed.

06/07/2016 - Revised Order sent by HIDEvolution

06/07/2016 - Payment initiated from my side.
    Things get interesting here. On account of it being a bank holiday in the UAE for the next 4 days, payment will actually be initiated from the bank on Sunday 10/07/2016
    Which means it will get through to HIDEvolution most likely by Tuesday 12/07/2016.
    HIDEvolution informs me that pre production/ gathering of the components for my laptop can start only after the funds have reached their account. Which is a big waste of time in my opinion (and illogical). Which means this laptop is at least 2 weeks away.

12/07/2016 - Funds have reached HIDevolution (finally). Apparently 28$ short. Transfers with my bank are free so....? No update on the build yet.

12/07/2016,2 - 28$ shortage waived. Build will start Tuesday morning PDT time.

12/07/2016,3 - Build in Production.

13/07/2016 - Laptop expected to ship by Friday. Fingers crossed :).

15/07/2016 - Ship estimate changed to Monday 18/07/2016. Repeated follow ups are not appreciated.

22/07/2016 - Laptop received!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    ...I hope you aren't blaming them for waiting for funds. That's just a safe business practice. I know its annoying with the banking holiday though.

3. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Well, they did start production on my system after the weekend, since the funds took 3 freaking days to reach them within the same state. Luckily, international transfers are much faster from my experience. But they kept their word on the production and delivery time line.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    At the end of the day, they're doing a local US bank transfer which in my eyes risk wise, is safer and also your's is not a BGA laptop.. So they can easily reconfigure and resell.. Not that easy with a BGA one.. So on the whole, I can see where their logic came from.. If OP wanted the laptop quickly, he could have paid using Paypal which should have gone through faster!

5. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Da. But i dont think you get the cash discount if you do Paypal.

6. AxB

AxB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Perhaps I haven't understood the assembly process correctly. Since it's the P650RG, doesn't the laptop come mostly assembled from Clevo with a few parts changeable? Or do they get only the chassis to start with?

Payment was not done through PayPal because their exchange rates are horrible.

The whole wait is illogical from my point of view, because I've paid and sent a transfer advice across and a supplier refuses to do anything.

My view was that the build could be completed and kept ready to be shipped when funds reach the account.

Hmm..will just have to wait I suppose.:(

7. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Thing is that changes like applying CLU, takes time. You have to be really careful when applying this stuff, one slight slip and the system will be toast as soon as you try to power it up. So they have to be very careful and meticulous.

Donald@HIDevolution and Spartan like this.
  8. EmberV

EmberV Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is accurate. HIDevolution just selects the base chassis with your desired GPU, CPU, LCD and adds in the RAM, SSD/HDD, repastes, flashes Prema mod, installs Windows, and then QC's the machine before sending it on it's way. This still takes time and it's not like they are slapping machines together in 10 minutes.
    I side with HIDevolution on this, I would not start work before funds were 100% received because you would be running the risk of having technicians perform work without the company being paid.
    Patience is a virtue. Your laptop will be well worth the wait!

9. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    +1

As much as a company wants to be helpful and get your machine in your hands as fast as possible. Somethings just have to go by the books, you cannot pre-order a car, laptop, or any item really without the company having the funds. In the event that the funds do not reach them, then they are left with a laptop configured according to your specs that needs to be reconfigured to be sold to someone else.

No other company / system builder / reseller would accept starting a build without having the funds for it.

Any order through any reseller/system builder has stages

Stage 1 = receiving the payment
    Stage 2 = verification (in case the payment was done through credit card)
    Step 3 = Gathering system components (they already have those ready for you so that's a huge time saver)
    Step 4 = system building
    Step 5 = installing Windows
    Steps 6 = quality checks / stress tests
    Step 7 = shipment

no company can skip a step and go to the next without the previou step being fulfilled.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    AxB and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  10. AxB

AxB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you all for your replies!

Still doesn't change the fact that the total build time for this system will be at least 14 days from the date of ordering - due to regrettable circumstances but still.

Also, as a buyer, and by making a wire transfer, I am essentially trusting HIDEvolution to deliver a system which they may not be able to (for whatever unforeseeable circumstances). There has to be a better way to establish trustworthiness of both buyers and sellers (and no I don't mean rating aggregates,safe site reviews etc. - most of these can be faked).

Also,I have no confirmation from HIDEvolution that components are available and "gathered".

All in all a huge amount of (perhaps) unavoidable frustration for me. This thread serves to show people what could happen if a payment is delayed.

Also, in all other aspects, working with HIDEvolution has been commendable.

Peace :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.