Expected release of next gen of Nvidia GPUs

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by ddomaster, May 21, 2018.

1. ddomaster

ddomaster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, rumours seem to generally be pointing to an announcement of the 11/20xx series graphic cards imminently with shipping starting in July. Do you all think this is true or not? I'm thinking of getting one of the new thin and light laptops like the MSI GS65 or Aero 15 but would much rather get a 1160 or 1170 inside because I feel the 144hz screen is wasted with a 1060 driving it since very few games can hit the high frame rates.

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The 11xx series is a refreshed pascal version.Honestly it's likely to be around the same as the "jump" from 600 to 700 series.

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    it will jump at least 50 percent, and have less power requirements(run cooler) so the big jump this gen will be ultra books capable of gaming. I say 50 because v100 is proved to be a 30 percent jump and thats pretty typical. and don't forget 8th gen cpus are just a refresh, kabylake refresh but the performance jump is significant

4. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I mean it all rumors at this point but based on everything I’ve read it looks to be a decent bump, but I seriously doubt it’ll be 50% as that is a massive bump. I also don’t recall readings anything about lower power requirements / temps, considering the temps on the coffee lakes, it’s probably similar temps.
    Everything is also regarding desktop releases so I'd expect manufacturers to stick with the newer 10 series a little while longer until they liquidate their stock.... And with the lack of any competition on the mobile front I don't see them rushing it out until q4 or even 2019. I could also be dead wrong haha

I think it’s the perfect time to nab a 1060-1080 on the cheap! Waiting it out is also a viable option...

5. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    What I am curious about, were TSMC's last ditch attempts to keep Nvidia enough, or will more business move to Samsung? The 1050ti and below are already fabbed in Korea (the 3rd ever foundry Nvidia has contracted with).

6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    50% jump in performance? start in july? lol what are you guys smoking? :D

dont expect anything before end of this year, november at the EARLIEST. also, the 20% average jump weve seen to far gen to gen should also be applicable here.

dont get your hopes up too high guys, uve been warned ;)

Riktar, KY_BULLET and cj_miranda23 like this.
  7. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wish gpu's life cycle the same as console so it means by 2020:D

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The lack of competition literally means Nvidia can do whatever they hell they want at this point haha.

9. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    While I know AMD needed to do something, I think the APUs were a bit of a mistake. Not in concept, but in how they were laid out. Intel did it right. The GPU has its own HBM stack, rather than fighting the CPU for its small 64bit memory bus. We know the 64bit bus is limiting, since even Intel IGPs can note a consistent (though small) performance decrease from running on single channel RAM vs dual channel. An APU with more compute power than a MX150 should not be bested by a MX150, but even a downclocked MX150 is still faster than most (all?) of the APU notebooks in NBC tests (albeit with a higher power draw under load. Optimus still has the advantage outside of gaming on battery power). AMD had a head start with HBM, but both of their competitors have really beaten them at HBM implementations, IMO.

TL;DR, the damn APUs should have used HBM like the Intel Kaby Lake-G did. With that, I feel like AMD could have really smashed Intel and Nvidia out of the ultrabook class. As it stands, the APU is competition for Intel's practically nonexistent Iris Pro (for a practically nonexistent market).

10. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Seems SK Hynix will be shipping GDDR6 memories for Nvidia according to their latest contract.

[​IMG]

jaybee83 and KY_BULLET like this.