Excellent performance on Ge75, 2080 and 9880H - 8 cpu

Discussion in 'MSI' started by jks87, May 29, 2019.

1. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Cool, bumping up the core clock means having the frequency to run at a higher level for each voltage, for example:

Before OC'ing the Core clock, let's say at 0.743V, you maybe running at 1455MHz, after you have added +150MHz to the core clock, you maybe running at 1605MHz @ 0.743V, usually the temperature and the power is largely affected by the voltage, not the frequency, which means you'll have a better energy efficiency when you bump up the core clock and the temperature wouldn't increase much. But if you have gone too far, the voltage isn't sufficient enough to run the core at that frequency, the driver will reset itself and you need to re-tweak again, then you know where is the limit for your GPU at that voltage. The ultimate goal here is the find the most energy efficient frequency you can get for the common voltage you'll come across in your everyday gaming session.

This also means more output even the TDP limit of the GPU is met.

Edit:

About the memory clock, by bumping up a few hundreds, you might see the temperature increase by 1~4 degrees, it depends on how far you go, if the temperature is controlled under 80 I'd just go all out.

If you find out you are getting runtime errors reported when playing a game, that means you have gone too far increasing the memory clock, usually runtime error comes before broken texture for the memory clock, so it's easy to know.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    ryzeki and Gr4dy like this.
  2. Gr4dy

Gr4dy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It seems the 9880H provides a huge leap in score beyond the 9750H. Even with my 2080 OC'd, I can't even come close to a 20k Firestrike score.

3. Kriegprojekt

Kriegprojekt Newbie

Reputations:
    How have the thermals been since you bought this? Are you seeing decent temps since then? Are you still happy with the product?

4. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What machine do you have? Even a bone stock 8750H with 2080 scores above 20K fire strike.

5. Gr4dy

Reputations:
    That can't be true. My laptop specs are in my signature.

6. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OK, sorry you didn't say maxq 2080 so I assumed it was a full one. I was on mobile so signatures don't show up but I see it now on my pc.

7. Gr4dy

Reputations:
    Ah, yeah, sorry. This thread kind of got sidetracked on discussing GS75s and they only come with a Max-Q at their highest GPU.

Porter likes this.
  8. dhaupert

dhaupert Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey there. Thanks for posting these numbers. Did you ever run with an OC and if so what were the numbers and temps? Very much thinking about this config for my next purchase!