1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

exactly what cable is needed for the displayport to work at 120hz or higher?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by DumbDumb, Mar 26, 2013.

1. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok So I bought a new monitor... The Asus VG248QE 144hrz gaming monitor that has 3D... I go and hook it up and blam 60 hz maxs..
    So i Dl the manual and list for nvidia is dual link display only.. you know that white dvi cable thats not missing any pins.. no split in the pins..

And so I call Asus to ask them to help me set up the monitor thinking im doing some thing wrong.. and they tell me that Nvidia doesnt support 120hz or higher and that you can get up to about 85hz using nvidia.. and they claimed that was straight what the manager called the OCing department..

And So I called Nvidia.. to ask about are cards.. and they also tried giving me the run around.. they told me that the monitor has to support it for the cards to do it and I explained it did and they asked me how I had it hooked up and I told them via HDMI.. and they 2 told me that none of there cards support 120hz or higher via hdmi.. and that I had to use dvi dual link cable.. I explained that my Alienware did not have that port.. and asked if an adapter would work and I was shot down yet again..

Im really pissed right right now.. ive had this stupid plan to get the new nvidia light boost 2.0 and a 3d monitor to go with my M18x-r2 and now i cant use it...

well played sir... well played...

2. littleone562

littleone562 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you try via nvpanel - setting custom resolutions?

3. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I thought you had to use display port to get 120hz. HDMI won't hack it. 680M has plenty of power.

4. Codenamefa

Codenamefa Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There should be a setting in the NV control panel to adjust it.

5. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    oh yea its there.. ive set it.. buuut its a no go.. hence why i called nvidia direct.. they told me that dvi dual link was it.. said display port and hdmi didnt have the band width to support the refresh speeds..

6. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Yeah that's the case. Its a HDMI limit rather than nVidia false advertising. Max refresh of HDMI is 60hz @ 1080p. You need dual DVI to get 120hz @ 1080p, or 60fps 3D @ 1080p.
    I've never been too sure of what the cables look like but had a suspicion our m18x's don't have them.
    If that's the case, that's first on my wish list for a r3

7. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    exactly what cable is needed for the displayport to work at 120hz or higher?

8. Irakandji

Irakandji Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We need Displayport 1.2 to do 120Hz plus refresh rates. I am not sure what the 680m / m18x supports. I could not find it in the spec. I suspect 1.1.

HDMI is a TV/Theater std, and at higher resolutions drops down to 24 or at best 30hz. In reviewing the HDMI.org site they are looking for more pixels, not higher refresh rates. learned this the hard way when trying to get 120 Hz, 3D game play on my TV. The HDMI standard is 720p at 30 or 60 hz. to get higher you need the nVidia proprietary display technology on DVI

DVI is the computer standard and as we know supports the higher refresh rates.

If there was a way to maintain my warranty and swap out the 680m's for 7970's I would really consider it. At least I could get eyeInfinity.

9. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I think also AMD support frame packing at 1080p 60fps which is supposedly better than 720p.
    Well, if you ever want to change cards you can PM me :D

10. xmadror

xmadror Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was under the impression that our display port could get up to 120hz (v1.2), not really sure tho ... since I could get 2560x1440 out of the miniDP to Dual link dvi active adapter to my dvi-d korean monitor(which require dual link dvi to work) I'd think that 120hz *should* work too with the miniDP. If your monitor doesnt have DisplayPort you'll need the ~$60 miniDP to dvi-d dual link active adapter (not a cheap one).