EVOC PA71HS-G 4K i7-7820HK from HIDevolution

Discussion in 'Reseller Feedback Forum' started by jsstp24n5, Nov 19, 2017.

1. shark370ET

shark370ET Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello OP, I have posed this on another thread, but I am posting here also in case you didnt see it there ( EVOC PA71HS-G Review by mayuk).

i am an owner of an eurocom - clevo P 370 ET laptop. Had 1 or 2 problem over the years (cant remeber now is it 3 or 4 years) like cooling fan or a key on the keyboard, but nothing serious. I am upgrading now to model reviewed here PA71HP6-G GTX 1060 6GB i7-7820HK from OBSIDIAN in Portugal.
    Since I will be using it daily (busines) in the same way I am using my current P370ET, it will be an overkill in any possible way.
    My concern is about gaming and heating. I will do some online FPS games (CSGO) and maybe others I skipped over the years (witcher), but I must say I am quite happy to play on medium to high settings. No need for ultra high.
    SO back to my question. The model you reviewed has an i7-7700HQ CPU and as I can see there is not much of a problem with overheating during benchmarks, even after continuous runs, back to back. What confuses me is that I read online that for the same workload i7-7820HK produces much more heat. It was some kind of benchmark with input parameters very badly explained, but enough to make me wonder. There is an 7820HK user here also @jsstp24n5 so maybe he can help me also.
    I will try to explain my concerns a bit better.
    SO in this benchmark (I cant find it online any more) the following is stated:
    - two same laptops (no brand is given), one with 7700HQ and one with 7820HK are running the same benchmark (dont know which one)
    - I suppose the pasting is the same
    - CPU frequency - base frequency or auto (7820HK is not OCed), and no undervolting
    - benchmark results ...... 7820HK is better by cca 10% (as expected)
    - CPU temperatures during test ......cca 55 - 60 C for 7700HQ and cca 85 - 90 for 7820HQ

And this last one is what is confusing, it is a big jump in core temperature for only 10% benchmark improvement.

Is this the thing in real life also?
    Is 7820HQ burning already on factory settings, nvm OC ?
    Can you or @jsstp24n5 or anyone else please comment on this

Sorry for spamming the forum a bit but my window of opportunity for buying this laptop is next week and so......I am a bit nervous, (hehe ichy fingers)

Thanks in advance

2. jsstp24n5

jsstp24n5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I currently don't have the laptop since it has been in warranty repair since 12/22. The only info I have is what I've already posted.

3. bizid

bizid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @jsstp24n5
    don't mind to share reason for repairs?

4. jsstp24n5

jsstp24n5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There was a stuck pixel and I utilized the perfect panel guarantee on my order to get the screen replaced.

Phoenix likes this.
  5. jsstp24n5

jsstp24n5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Received back Friday and the panel is perfect now.

So I started stress and benchmark testing and was kind of alarmed by the CPU temps reached during the AIDA64 stress test. CPU max was 98C, GPU max was 88C. CPU throttling reached 25% and it started to throttle after less than than 10 minutes. This is with the 120 mV undervolt and ordering the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut paste job on CPU and thermal pads. Is this expected for this model with the i7-7820HK?

stabilitytest.png hwinfo64temps.png

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  6. RogSmitty

RogSmitty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a very similarly configured PA71 coming in this week. I'll let you know how mine compares when I get it.

Really hoping it doesn't perform similarly though. Especially considering the cost and how the CPU and GPU are approaching the end of their life cycles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    AIDA64 Extreme puts tremendous lost on the CPU that doesn't replicate a normal or even power users' workflow. It grabs all your cores and tortures the crap out of them, even on my MSI GT73VR Titan Pro if I let it run long enough the temps would reach 93-95. STOP, just stop man.

Run HWiNFO (sensors only) then run a game for a long session, let's say 20-30 minutes then once you go back to your desktop, check the average and max temps recorded. Don't just check the max as temps may have raised for a few seconds during an intense seen with lots of stuff going on but you also wanna see your average temps throughout the gameplay to see how does it cope with what you wanna do with it. Or run any app that you're planning to use for that matter with HWiNFO and look at the temps.

8. thattechgirl_viv

thattechgirl_viv Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hey there, sorry to hear your temps don't seem up to par. I would like to ask if you had the fans running on maximum speed while running the AIDA64 Extreme Stability Stress Test? If not, it is highly recommended to do so while running such intense test on the CPU.

AIDA64 Extreme is a great way to test the stability of your system but not a good way to tell if your system is overheating or not because your system may run hot with AIDA64 but that doesn't mean it will ever reach those temperatures while doing your day to day tasks. There is no comparable scenario that would stress your CPU that hard on a normal day to day basis.

I concur with @Phoenix, you should run a game for a long session and keep HWiNFO running in the background to log temps. If you are still reaching 98C please reach out to us so we can help you with this. We are always here to help.

9. jsstp24n5

jsstp24n5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The fans were set to maximum in Clevo Control Center.

I will try it out with a few games this week and report the results.

10. thattechgirl_viv

thattechgirl_viv Company Representative

Reputations:
    Ok, well at least you had the fans on maximum settings. Now, we wait for your results during game. Please share the game settings too, if on Auto, max or Ultra settings, it matters and should be taken into consideration when logging temperatures.

Thanks!

Phoenix and Donald@HIDevolution like this.