EVOC PA71HS-G 4K i7-7820HK from HIDevolution

Discussion in 'Reseller Feedback Forum' started by jsstp24n5, Nov 19, 2017.

1. jsstp24n5

jsstp24n5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So far so good. Not worried about build time as long as the build/prep is high quality. I have vacation starting in mid-December so I am planning to tinker with voltage, clocking, setup etc and playing games non stop all through it.

Thanks @Donald@HIDevolution for your help and discount.

EVOC High Performance Systems PA71HS-G 17.3" Custom Built Gaming Laptop w/ nVIDIA GTX 1070 w/ G-Sync

LCD Panel

17.3" 4K UHD (3840x2160) LG IPS FHD LED Antiglare Matte Type Display w/ nVIDIA G-Sync Technology

Video Card

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 w/ 8GB GDDR5 - NVIDIA G-Sync Enabled

Processor

7th Generation Unlocked and Overclockable Intel® Core™ Core i7-7820HK Quad Core Processor, 2.9 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.9GHz), 8MB Smart Cache

Thermal Interface Materials

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU, Gelid GC Extreme on GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat sensitive surfaces – BEST PERFORMANCE – installed by HIDevolution

Memory

32GB (2 x 16GB) Dual Channel DDR4/2400MHz

RAID Options

no RAID (1st drive as primary boot drive, 2nd drive as storage drive)

M.2 PCIe NVMe or SATA SSD Slot 1

Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D-VNAND SSD - Up to 3,500 MB/s Read-2,100 MB/s Write

M.2 SSD Slot 2 (supports M.2 SATA - does NOT support M.2 PCIe SSD)

None

2.5" HDD/SSD Bay

Samsung 850 Pro Series (3D VNAND Tech) SATA3 6Gb/s 2TB SSD

Wireless Cards

Intel® Wireless-AC 8265 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 4.2

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 10 Pro, 64bit, English

Power Adapter

Full Range 230W AC Adapter AC-in 100~240V, 50~60Hz

Internal Battery

1 x 4 cell battery - 66Wh (Internal)

Audio

Built-in two 2W speakers and a 4W subwoofer

Back-lit Gaming Keyboard

Customizable Gaming Macro Back-lit Keyboard

Keyboard Language

U.S. English

Branding

EVOC Logo on LCD Cover and Bezel

Warranty and Service

3 Year HIDevolution Limited U.S. Warranty + LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Awesome man! Congrats and nice SSD setup you got there.

Lemme know when you get it if you want me to help you tweak it over TeamViewer. Only for EVOC Gaming Team Members :D

Phoenix Tweaks:

1- Uninstallation of all the Windows Store Garbage Apps
    2- Removing all Windows 10 Privacy Invasion stuff like Telemetry, sending your keystrokes to Microsoft, automatically installing suggested apps in the background, allowing Microsoft to conduct experiments on your laptop, disabling automatic driver updates through Windows updates, disabling Windows 10 ads, disabling cortana, etc.
    3- Removal of nVIDIA and Intel Telemetry
    4- Adjusting a lot of options in PC Settings like disabling Windows Tablet Mode (you have a laptop not a tablet), disabling suggestions appearing in the start menu, disabling automatically connecting to Paid WiFi Hotspots, disabling Game DVR which reduced performance in games, and a lot more.
    5- Replacing Cortana with a much better search tool that finds results instantly
    6- Restoring the classic Windows 7 Calculator and Windows Photo Viewer
    7- Restoring the Classic Windows 7 Start Menu
    8- Turning off smart multi-homed DNS name resolution in Windows which may lead to DNS Leakage when using a VPN (must have Windows 10 Pro for disabling it as it can only be disabled via the Group Policy Editor)

[​IMG]

jsstp24n5 likes this.
  3. Night Hawk

Night Hawk Newbie

Reputations:
    I almost ordered that laptop but decided to wait for the new p775tm1 with Coffee Lake processors because I need more power for rendering and video editing. How are the temps? I will order the p775tm with similar specs except with a 8700k processor and 1080 graphics card. I’m assuming my temps will be higher because of the desktop processor.

4. jsstp24n5

jsstp24n5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Don't have it yet so can't tell about the temps. I've read mixed reviews about the thermals on this laptop, especially when both the CPU and GPU are stressed the GPU seems to affect the CPU... but am hopeful the top-end paste job, thermal pads, and with an undervolt I won't experience throttling under full load.

The weight/thickness was the reason I didn't go with other newer Coffee Lake models. Form-factor/portability are important to me.

Ultra Male likes this.
  5. Glaargl

Glaargl Newbie

Reputations:
    This is almost exactly the same setup I have been thinking of getting, although I'll probably look to save a few bucks on the drive setup... (nice one!)

I'd love to get your impressions once you had a chance to get your hands on it.

6. Tuan Hoang

Tuan Hoang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does your laptop have uneven speaker sound? I mean it sounds louder on the right than on the left, like audio balance is shifted toward the right. I've heard a few users reporting this. Mine is a PowerSpec 1710 and has this issue too... :(

7. Legion343

Legion343 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice config you have here...Especially SSDs. However you could have gone for faster RAM (good 2666 or 2800 because with stock BIOS faster ones won't work).

I wait for PA50 refresh with CF CPU and maybe Volta GPU in tadem. For now i don;t have reason to change my RS.

8. jsstp24n5

jsstp24n5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ordered 11/12. Shipped 12/7. Should have it by mid next week.

Ultra Male likes this.
  9. jsstp24n5

jsstp24n5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Received on 12/12. There was a small issue with the Windows Pro activation that Zoltan very quickly helped out with over the phone. But I found a pretty noticeable area of stuck blue pixel(s) that will not go away on the bottom left of the AUO109B screen. So currently I am looking to get it replaced since I have the 30 day perfect panel guarantee. Haven't heard back on that front yet. I originally had the 2 year pixel warranty, wish I had kept that @Donald@HIDevolution ;)

Other initial thoughts so far:
    1. The AUO 4K G-Sync panel (besides the stuck pixel(s)) is very good. It's the best I've ever seen. I admittedly haven't seen the Sharp IGZO ones but this one certainly makes me happy. The color calibration was very well done as well (hopefully will be repeated on the new panel).
    2. The fans are louder than expected at idle (~45C) but quieter than expected above that.
    3. I've haven't really stressed it out much but just at a 10 minute AIDA64 stability test the CPU topped out at 80C and the GPU at 70C. That was with an undervolt of 120 mV. I currently set it at 105 mV for stability fears but will probably go back to 120 mV. Undervolting is possible through the BIOS (or with Intel XTU).
    4. The sound does seem to be slightly louder on the right side, although I probably wouldn't have noticed if I didn't read about it here. Running speaker calibration tests though I can't tell the difference between the loudness/quality of the left side speaker vs the right so not sure what to make of this yet.
    5. Very nice build quality and nice Al alloy finish. I like the sleek look.

10. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can still get the 2 Year Pixel Warranty. If you want it, just email me.

Just remind Zoltan to make sure your new panel is also calibrated.

ENJOY!!

Ultra Male and jsstp24n5 like this.