EVOC P870TM-R form Hidevolution vs Msi GT76

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Ahmed Nabil, Sep 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahmed Nabil

Ahmed Nabil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. Viares Strake

Viares Strake Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Both are great models and within the same price of each other. What are you looking for beyond just a desktop replacement? Will you be looking to tweaking the machine heavily or looking for upgrade-ability in the future?
    Short answer - I'd go with the MSI personally. Though both are plenty powerful and neither will disappoint

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Ahmed Nabil likes this.
  3. Ahmed Nabil

Ahmed Nabil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Main use: gaming and blender, Upgrade-ability (if possible with laptop) is always cool

4. Viares Strake

Viares Strake Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You've got my vote for the MSI Titan

Ahmed Nabil likes this.
  5. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The P870 is more upgradeable (in theory) as its got both a socketed CPU and GPU. The MSI GT76 has a socketed CPU but the GPU is soldered to the board and cannot be upgraded. Whether or not the P870 can be made to work with future GPU's though is questionable, as it is EOL and no longer officially supported by Clevo. The only reason the RTX 2080 works in that machine is because of HIDEvolution and Prema.

In theory, the GT76 should have better CPU cooling, but i've not seen glowing reviews of it yet: https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-G...of-Gaming-Laptops.425043.0.html#toc-emissions
    You could of course also buy a GT76 from HIDEvolution and get their thermal mods, which might make it run significantly cooler.

Neither choice is ideal, but if it was my money I would go with the P870 as there is at least the slim possibility that it can be upgraded again, or the GPU can simply be replaced if it fails.

6. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If it was my money, I'd get the GT76. Better cooling system, superior keyboard and screen, better build quality, better driver support. It's a non brainer.

When ordering it, I recommend you choose "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads". That small upgrade alone reduces temps by as much as 15C

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The unlocked processor in GT76 is power capped at 170w (forget proper overclocking). As well with soldered graphics. And long heatpipes ain't an andvantage for cooling. More (pipes) doesn't always mean better. Same also thinking that new has to be better. Can't even compete in processing power vs. Clevo P870 from 2015 (+4 years old) with older Z170 chipset http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...tx-1080-upgrade.814711/page-102#post-10943950
    I second this. The only choice today. Or build a desktop rig.

8. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am actually looking at a clevo this time around. Both the GT76 and AW Area51m are out of spec to be carried in any safe way on an airplane. They wont fit in a carryon nor my Everki.
    Was eyeballing the Origin Eon17x but never see any reviews on them(Origin).

Ahmed Nabil likes this.
  9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    10 years or even 20 years ago laptops were huge because technology was in it's infancy....now we can have smaller phones and computers....ultrabooks are the future I don't see why your looking into laptops the size and weight of a computer from 20 years ago....power....i mean even a 1660ti is more than enough unless your gunning for the useless settings known as ultra...cell phones are getting smaller and so are laptops that is the future....not 16 pound desktop replacements.

I mean the 2080 is like a 1000 dollar card do you really think developers code with that in mind when it's out of reach for most people.

future proofing well if you bought the 780m years back im sure you can still game with it as it's roughly equal to a gtx 1050 but by the time you starting seeing a savings a cheaper alternative would be out and you could gain the advantage of a better cpu better battery life and better screen.....there really is no point in DTR laptops....even coders and people that edit 4k video usually do so in a office and having the ability to move it is useless as the files can jump from home to office on a jump drive or external ssd

Ahmed Nabil likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You just need the right backpack or bag. I traveled for years with 17 and 18 inch laptops on planes, never once with any issues. The Origin EON17x is just a Clevo with their name on it. Better to buy the same product from a @Prema Partner shop if you can, unless you don't care about having buggered up firmware and other performance hindering "features" that are inescapable with stock firmware cancer. The chance that you'll pay more and get less varies depending on the vendor.

The flaw in this line of thinking is two-fold. First flaw is the assumption that newer is better. That is often not the case. More often than not newer is inferior, in fact. And, the assumption that everyone wants smaller and lighter is also erroneous. Some people don't want that, at all. Just because some do doesn't make it wrong for those that do not. There is a place for both, but the options for both are rapidly diminishing because the manufacturers only cater to what they deem to be most popular and/or what they value. They only care about customers that like what they want them to have. If you want performance that more closely resembles a desktop than a portable device, the only viable option is a big DTR. If you don't want or need that, and care more about something lightweight that is capable of doing some basic things when a desktop is not accessible, then the compromise is fine. It's all about what one wants and/or needs, and the options aren't great unless you're content with the compromises. Not everyone can afford a laptop and a desktop, and some folks don't want both. Some just want a laptop that can replace a desktop without any major compromises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.