Evoc P870km1 vs evoc 16l-G-1080

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Elyask, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elyask

Elyask Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm considering a new laptop since my old msi gt70 is starting to die bit by bit.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    3500$ if necessary but cheaper is better.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    Order it online to Saudi Arabia.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    No.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    All kind of games from AAA to indie games.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Doesn't really matter that much.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I don't have a choice. I can only buy it online since it's cheaper for me.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    3k 120hz with 5ms and gsync.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Matte.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Nope.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Asap.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    5 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    Yes.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner
    After researching a bit i was about to buy the big sager laptop since it had a desktop cpu but after more reading here I found out about the prema bios and hidevolutions amazing support which got me thinking and me hesitate alot on the sager.
    Not needed.

Ok so Now, I'm not a tech savvy or an overclocker I just know some of the basic stuff I don't think I'm going to risk over clocking alot to avoid burning anything thu I could try a few things and learn but that's completely not a priority for me and don't want to pay 3000$ to headache myself with fixing somthing later.

My questions are:

1- does vapor chamber really matter that much if I don't want to sli ever. And does it justify the price between both laptops.
    2- does the size of the p870 matter in cooling? More space = better cooling?
    3- build quality between both laptops since one is clevo and the other is msi which one will live longer.
    4- does 2800mhz ram matter that much for gaming.
    5- does the 16gl come with a 120hhz 5ms screen or is it a normal 4k?
    I really don't know which one is better and has more value to it.

What I like about the 16lg is that its alot cheaper and smaller/lighter but that also worries me about the heat.
    The p870 has vapor chamber better ram and bigger screen and probably better cooling due to the size but the price difference is big.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. Knight666

Knight666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Go with MSI GT73. Clevo isn't a good choice anymore...

1) Loud and hot
    2) Flimsy heatsinks
    3) Often spoils
    4) ****ty keyboard
    5) Clevo and their tragic driver support
    6) 120Hz FHD from MSI is superior than QHD (2K) 120Hz from Clevo.
    6') MSI GT73 and Clevo P870 uses same 4K G-Sync panel - so don't worry about it.

In Clevo you have currently 3 screens.
    1) Basic FHD 75Hz IPS Level screen G-Sync
    2) 120Hz QHD 120Hz 5ms TN screen G-Sync
    3) 60Hz QFHD/4K AUO 8bit IPS screen G-Sync (really it is an AHVA display, not true IPS and that's why it can be used for gaming due to lower response times).

As 4K screen user I recommend it over FHD/2K Panels is you can afford it. Especially with G-Sync. Image is just superior. Ultimate crispy (no AA that makes image blurry needed), insane quality of textures, lightning and shadow (rest doesn't give such quality boost).

MSI GT73 4K G-Sync with GTX 1080 or it's Clevo eq. should done job easily. One 1080 will be enough, you can always turn some settings to medium (you will see no difference in many settings between ultra and medium - but you will see difference between FHD and 4K always).

ranjim, steberg and Spartan like this.
  3. Elyask

Elyask Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    But the msi doesn't have 7700k desktop cpu. Doesn't that mean it's way lower in performance?
    I like msi but their specifications are quite limited and are not customizable at all.
    Also the gl60 is an msi barebones but loaded with desktop cpu, isn't that a good thing? Thu it might be a heat sink cuase its small or I'm wrong?

Won't the vapor chamber help with and deciding help with Clevo heat?

You have tempted me to get a 4k screen but isn't 3k close enough to that?

4. Knight666

Knight666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    7820HK isn't worse than 7700k. After OC it has same performance. And has lower temps compared to 7700K. You won't notice a difference.
    Situation is worse with 7700HQ vs 7700K.
    Same story as 6820HK vs 6700K.

Clevo isn't customizable at all since nVidia screwed everyone with GPU upgrades. There is no more benefits except LGA socket (7700K is last compatible CPU probably with this socket anyway).

Won't. It's not magic thing, it helps by little but MSI still has better planed cooling, that Clevo can't challenge.

There is no 3K Screens. Only FHD and 2K. 4K will be far superior since in worst scenario it has x2 more pixels.

Spartan likes this.
  5. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:

1) Loud and hot

- Matter of perspective.

2) Flimsy heatsinks

- True, but a very hit or miss.

3) Often spoils

- Not really.

4) ****ty keyboard

- Again matter of personal preference and perspective.

5) Clevo and their tragic driver support

- Not true. Only their hosting servers suck.
    Might want to elaborate what you are referring to?

6) 120Hz FHD from MSI is superior than QHD (2K) 120Hz from Clevo.

- Hands down true, if you are referring to the TN QHD panel.

6') MSI GT73 and Clevo P870 uses same 4K G-Sync panel - so don't worry about it.

- Mot sure which panel MSI is using, if it is the AUO B173ZAN01.0. Then yes, its the same panel and it is currently the best 4k 17" panel on the market.

In Clevo you have currently 3 screens.
    1) Basic FHD 75Hz IPS Level screen G-Sync
    2) 120Hz QHD 120Hz 5ms TN screen G-Sync
    3) 60Hz QFHD/4K AUO 8bit IPS screen G-Sync (really it is an AHVA display, not true IPS and that's why it can be used for gaming due to lower response times).

- The 4k Panel you are referring to is the best 4k 17" Panel on the market right now, with almost 100% Adobe RGB Coverage. At this point the whole IPS/AHVA argument is pointless.

With the Dm3/Km1 the Clevo MXM design are planned to be standard from now on.
    And no there is a big performance cap when it comes to the 7700k vs the 7820HK.

For example -

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11831665
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11965986

And these arent even the highest ones.

Rynaus, GN-z11, Ashtrix and 3 others like this.
  6. Elyask

Elyask Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    But the msi doesn't have 7700k desktop cpu. Doesn't that mean it's way lower in performance?
    I like msi but their specifications are quite limited and are not customizable at all.
    Dammit now all my plans have changed lol.
    I just checked the msi on hidevolution and hot damn it's 3200$ almost and the 7820 is only 2.9 isn't that little when compared to delided 7700k with 4.2

7. Elyask

Elyask Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What's ur opinion on what I asked which one has more value ? Or do u also suggest the gt73?

8. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    If you want something that performs like a desktop, then get the KM1.

If you want something that just works, and is a decent performer and you wont be tweaking/overclocking much, get the GT73.

@Phoenix

GN-z11 and Spartan like this.
  9. Elyask

Elyask Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I powerful machine that preforms like a desktop and not too much tweaking needed.
    So what about the g60l?

10. Elyask

Elyask Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Phoenix I read that he hates Clevo now.
    Is it completely true that p870 won't run out of the box and needs to be tweaked to run smoothly? I don't want headache I want somthing that will run decently without a hassle.
    I don't mind a bit of tweaking from time to time. I enjoy it. But for it to be a necessity that's completely somthing else.

Now my list has grown if the Clevo tweak is a must I'll go with gt73 or evoc 60g-l thu I'm afraid that I might regret the mobile cpu and the small screen on the 60l-g

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.