EVO vs. STI ?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    I prefer the Evo's styling to the Impreza, I just find it much more aggressive and have a bit more road presence (I have a preference to the CT9A style). Evo's tend to be a bit more track focused than the Subaru but the trade off is day to day comfort, where I live you rarely see Evo owners use it as a daily commute car due to the running costs and comfort, the Evo X is a bit more softer than its predecessors which should make it a bit more manageable.

Maintenance wise Evo's do require regular attention, Evo VIII & IX's require oil servicing every 4,500 miles and the AYC pump is a known achilles heel. I think the STI's can go a bit further with intervals at 7,500 miles, the Evo X can go up to 10,000 miles before needing a service but for this type of car it's probably better to keep it in the same service interval as the older gen models.

Aftermarket parts are aplenty for both Evo and STI models though most parts are sourced from Japan if they're not readily in stock. You can do a lot of power mods to either of these cars, just a question of how much cash you're willing to throw at it.

Driving a AWD car in the snow is manageable but I still see Evo's and Impreza's crash out in the wet let alone snow but most are down to negligence so still take extra care when driving in these conditions!

If you are swayed towards the older Evo's (I think VIII or IX in the US, the UK has the whole lot!) then its probably worth reading the MLR Buyers Guide for detailed information on these respective models. There are some info for the UK market only but there is still a wealth of the technical points, maintenance checklist and fault finding can be found here.

2. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm... I love the Evo 10 more than the STI in terms of looks. But the Evo just look so low. Not sure if the bumper and skirts will clear more than 2 inches of snow. Audi S4 is in the equation too. I forgot about it before.

3. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The EVO is a nice vehicle, too. I'd take either one, to be honest.

Yeah, lol. That's because people think they're invincible with AWD and take turns/corners too fast. You're right, you have to take extra care in the winter, no matter what you're driving. Even if you're driving a big Hummer, you can still wreck that thing going too fast.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    AWD/4WD only helps moving forwards and backwards in inclement weather, but does not aid in cornering/stopping. That would be your vehicle's or therelackof stability control, traction control, ABS. Though what is nice about Subaru's AWD is it's symmetrical, so if 1 wheel does not have traction, it will still move, unlike fake AWD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_MXK2nzt2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRniF4JQN2U

5. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Those Subaru Symmetrical AWD vs competitors videos are funny. You won't see Audi's Quattro in action, or any German car for that matter, because they only compare vehicles in the same class. Fair enough. The tests do reveal weaknesses that are relevant to real-life conditions and Subaru's AWD is quite something, but by never picking a single contender that could prove even remotely competitive, they make the videos painfully predictable. Of course they go up against Honda's/Acura's RealTime 4WD instead of their Super Handling All-Wheel Drive...

Winter Testing - SHAWD - YouTube

Lexus ATC vs. Audi Quattro vs. Acura SH-AWD - YouTube
    Sounds feisty. Not sure I like how... American it looks though. :p

6. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Audi's Quattro system isn't 100% foulproof either. It fails the 1 wheel no traction test. And Honda's SH-AWD again is bullcrap "AWD". From what I've heard, it doesn't transmit more than 30% torque to the rear wheels, which is no different than Honda's real-time 4WD. That and they also tested a Passat with 4motion, and it had torque steer. Again, "AWD" and "4WD" should be a regulated term, people are buying cars they think will help them in inclement weather and people don't think they'll get stuck. Subaru is the world's only "AWD". But there are dowfalls, such as blowing out 1 tire, you'll need to replace all 4 or you'll blow your differential/AWD system. "AWD" should be defined as equal power to all wheels all the time. That's why alot of manufacturers call their systems 4WD because they cannot call it AWD. 4WD should be defined as having a transfer case, being able to manually change from 2WD/4WD , and having a low range gearbox. Any car/SUV/truck with a base front wheel drive cannot be real 4WD/AWD, it's a load of crap. And Honda has the world's first *drumroll* FWD truck.

7. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That image is of the concept. The 2015 Subaru doesn't look anything like that.

8. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    Well it was a 2003 model, so I guess it has nothing in common with the new ones. My dad bought it new and he, me, my brother, and every now and then even some friends would beat on it on a daily basis. My dad sold it in 2007 and the only problem was that one of the axle rubber covers was torn and the bearing had started to make a faint noise every now and then. A year later the guy my dad sold it to wrecked it, but up until that point he never had any issues with it.

Wet, dry, snow, it performed beautifully. First the tires/wheels, and second a new rear sway bar were keys to improving the handling though. Good tires were critical in making the car's traction at the limit far smoother and more predictable. The rear sway bar gave it more balance, so that the front and the rear of the car would slide equally.

9. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    if u're not going to be modding the car then it's all up to personal preference. i'm not sure about the current WRX, but the previous generations had glass transmissions. i know guys that would completely destroy those trannies right after hitting the 300-400whp mark.

again, i'm not sure why u guys that are considering new and/or CPO purchases aren't just going and physically test driving these cars yourselves. to me, that is the only way to do it. plus, who doesn't like to drive different (new) cars for free?

10. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    Considering the older WRX's had 187whp, that is a big jump. But I always thought the main issue was with the center differential, not the transmission.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.