EVO vs. STI ?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay the age old debate, but from a new perspective.

I want a car that is good in the snow. I do not want a car that is easy to drift. I want a car that does not drift in the snow but is easy to drive for someone who has to get to work at 6am, when the weather is in the miserable single digit and the snow from the previous night still has not been plowed from the local roads. However, the reason I do not want an SUV is because I want the car to be fast and fun in the spring, summer, and fall.

In terms of ease of drive in snow, ease of maintenance, expected longevity, and ignoring things like fun in snow, aftermarket parts availability, and ease of modification, which is better in your opinion? EVO or STI?

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    The new Evo (Evo 10) is bleh. It's not that good looking and the STI has better performance. That being said the STI is more money (though that may dependent on where you live). Subaru boxer engines are pretty reliable...until you start tuning them without reinforcing the block (I've helped with numerous boxer engine rebuilds, and it SUCKS). I would say Subaru has slightly more aftermarket parts, the older Evo's have quite a few too.

That being said, for snow driving will be dependent on how much snow, the tires you select. If there's 3-4 feet of snow, don't expect to really drive in it. Or there was an icestorm over night.

3. AmazingGracePlayer

Reputations:
    I know both the Evo and Sti have turbos the size of wrecking balls, which one requires servicing more often?

In terms of snow driving, how much snow is really not an issue. It's usually under 6 inches of snow, but unplowed, or have been driven over by other cards, so it's like a firm sheet of snow.

And I think the Evo MR is gorgeous. A lot better looking than the wrx/sti.

4. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There really shouldn't be any difference in drivability in the snow.

I'm not sure how they are any more in the LSD department, but you might want to check on turning the front diff into a lsd if they are still open on the STI.

My dad's old WRX was a dream to drive and drift around on snow and ice. It drifts super easily. Lots of fond memories! No matter what you did in it, it was effortless to do and always responded well to commands. After balancing the suspension front and rear, it would always slide perfectly sideways at a 90 degree angle any time it lost grip. I really couldn't imagine another car doing better in those conditions. That car really could turn any crappy driver into a wannabe F1 racer.

5. AmazingGracePlayer

Reputations:
    How does the car hold up when drifting? I turned off all electronic nannies in my CTS and drifted about 3 corners before every part of the power steering gave in. Granted it was on dry road, not on snow.

6. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The 2015 Subaru WRX STI has been completely redesigned and rebuilt from ground-up. I watched a few reviews of it on YouTube and I am impressed. It has a better suspension, more power, premium audio, better visibility, new 8-speed CVT transmission with 3 driving modes, new tires, etc. I would go with the 2015 Subaru Impreza WRX STI. There's no doubt in my mind that you would be happy with this vehicle.

The designers used Porsche as a model for the new suspension system in the WRX. It's quite impressive... The only downside I found in the video review was the technology package. They said it looks like pretty old technology compared to some of the newer cars out today.

7. AmazingGracePlayer

Reputations:
    Any idea when it can be purchased?

8. J.Dre

Reputations:
    Probably within the next couple months.

9. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    8 speed CVT? :(

10. J.Dre

Reputations:
    It's an option. It comes with paddle shifters, too. Of course the 6 speed manual is still available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.