Evo + tablets = ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by roadracer247, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadracer247

roadracer247 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Quick background...
    So I'm a former iPhone owner. Now I've got an HTC EVO 4G (bought it in January) and I'm very happy with it. Great phone. Much better screen than my old iPhone. Amazing navigation. Overall an excellent phone.

And onto my story...
    I originally bought this phone because I work 24 hr shifts on an ambulance. I wanted something with a bigger screen for browsing the internet. Well now I want something even bigger. So I've been looking into the different tablet options out there. It's basically come down to two choices. The Motorola Xoom or iPad 2. I've noticed a few things and it's raised a few questions.

The Xoom is obviously the option for expandability. But I'm literally only buying this for internet browsing and watching movies. Of course I'll DL a bunch of apps and play the occasional game, but movies and the internet are my primary reasons for considering this purchase. With that said, does one have any obvious benefit over the other?

Also, the plans seem very limited in their data cap each month! Would I be able to use my EVO (unlimited everything in my contract) as a mobile hotspot and not be charged data minutes (not sure if that was the right terminology) towards the iPad or Xoom contract? I suppose I'm asking which device gets charged the data usage. Because I think the data cap for the basic tablet package is like a gig a month. I'd easily go over that...

And finally, which has the better performance? I couldn't tell with my limited experience at Bestbuy. It seems like both sides claim theirs is faster than the other...

PLEASE post anything else I might be missing from this comparison or things I should be considering. I'm expecting this place to lean in favor of the iPad obviously.

2. steve p

steve p Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am not going to touch the Xoom vs iPad question...
    As far as turning your Evo onto a Wi-Fi hot spot, you either have to pay your carrier to activate this feature plus chose a data plan with limits or you will have to root your Evo (not allowed under your carrier's contract) and no additional charges will apply ;)

3. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Get the iPad.

It has Netflix, is backed by iTunes, and has superior battery life and GPU capabilities... and battery life is necessary to people that like to watch movies on the go.

4. bubbatex

bubbatex Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am an ex-iPhone user that moved to the EVO (which I am happy with). I was doing the same thing you are considering and I got the iPad 2. It is just a much more mature platform right now. While I did like the Xoom, Honeycomb is somewhat a mess right now. And at the end of the day, the Apple App store just has more polished apps for a tablet. I will probably go to an Android tablet at some point, but the iPad is really nice.

As for your hotspot question - definitely use the EVO's capability vs. buying another plan. The nice thing about it is you can turn it on/off as needed AND the EVO has unlimited data. Sprint's other data plans have 3G limits (but unlimited 4G). I used the EVO's hotspot for a vacation last month for 10 days, used 5gbs of data and then turned it off (you can add it and remove it from your online Sprint account at will). I paid $10 for that - not $30 for the whole month.

5. Texanman

Texanman Master of all things Cake

Reputations:
    get a nook color...root it....prosper!

6. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    I can't help you decide which device to get (never used either), but you can use your EVO 4G as a WiFi hotspot. As Steve mentioned, you'll have to root your phone, which is usually a pretty quick and painless procedure on its own; you don't need to install a custom ROM or kernel or anything of that sort.

Once your phone is rooted (which essentially means you have root user access in the Android OS instead of regular user access), install Barnacle WiFi Tether from the Market (free), and you can use that to broadcast a WiFi network (encrypted, if you like) to use your EVO's data connection through your tablet. If you have it set up like this, your tablet will be connected as though to a normal WiFi network, and you can disable the data connection on the tablet entirely if you like.

7. roadracer247

roadracer247 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thx for the info! This is great news! It's confirmed for me that Ill be fine with a WiFi only tablet.

8. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I 2nd the echo's for a wi-fi only tablet. as far as which to choose, I'd go with iPad 2. Honeycomb needs more time in the oven. I'd recommend PlayBook as well as the browser is awesome, but 7 inches might not be big enough for you.

9. process

process \( ಠ_ಠ)/

Reputations:
    thats what she said...but also its 9.something i thought for the ipad 2...and 10.something for the xoom

10. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.