]]>

EVGA SC17 1080 finally available

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Vistar Shook, Aug 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This.
    I do find it VERY hard to believe that the EC has a programmed 62W power limit (probably 62, not 60) rather than a Bios default. Because 62W is the default long power limit for 7820HK if using "Default" power limit of 45W (if power limit override are disabled), with 28 seconds burst time allowed, before it reverts back to 45W, and 7700HQ CPU is hard set to 62W power limit for 28 seconds, then reverts back to 45W after, until load stops. So we need to see what's going on. As well as what Throttlestop shows in Limit Reasons, and your TPL settings as well. However it IS possible, because in your default Bios, the power limit overrides were disabled, rather than set to 45W. If EVGA actually set an EC controlled PECI power limit of 60W instead of setting it through the Bios....well...this...is...the ABSOLUTE WORST CANCER I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE.

If you are using Throttlestop and you installed it originally fresh, TS may have "captured" the original MMIO power limits and may be set to 60W. In that case, just change Package Power Long and package power short to 200 manually in Throttlestop.

We "may" be able to test this btw.

Go into CPU VR settings, IA Core domain, go to IMON OFFSET, set a negative (-) IMON offset of -31999.
    This will cause a CPU to report about 20% lower power consumption than it's actually really using. Then if Throttlestop shows PL1 throttling at something weird like 48W rather than 60W, then we know the EC is doing something to you. (if you're able to use "more" power than before, with the power reported lower than 60W, with no throttling under 60W, then you at least gain something).

Vistar Shook, KY_BULLET and Vasudev like this.
  2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry guys, I am finally back at home and have more time to play with the machine. Since messing around with the Bios didn't get me anywhere, I just assumed that the power limits are not controlled by the Bios settings. I will post later the throttlestop tpl and limit reasons.
    I still think it is EC controlled, because if I select the normal profile in Bios, it will have the standard 45 PL1 limit and 56W PL2 limit. If I select superclock or custom profile, then PL1 is 60W. If I unplug the laptop, on battery it will be 40W on all profiles.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Due to the TDP limits of the CPU and GPU, and of course the thermal limits of the design, this is the best I can get in Firestrike without modding.
    graphics 23304 and physics 14057
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/24233352?

Vasudev and aaronne like this.
  4. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Since I flashed the new Bios from EVGA to patch the ME vulnerability I will flash the modded Bios later and see what results I get with the IMON OFFSET test.

Thanks again for the tips.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  5. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    I forgot to give the IMON OFFSET a go.....and guess what, it works! Now of course I need a repaste to handle the thermals.
    Thanks man, awesome help.

6. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    My CPU doesn't undervolt very well, so at 4.4GHZ I need a lot more voltage than what others get with this chip......silicon lottery. Let's see what LM can do.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Cinebench score before was 929 before power throttling.
    Now I managed 980 with the imon offset. Can't really go any higher due to thermal throttling at higher clocks on stock paste.
    Edit: this score is 4.4GHz not 4.3....sorry for the confusion. The point is that at least with the Imon offset, it can surpass the 60W power limit.
    [​IMG]

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Nice score for 4.3GHz:vbthumbsup:

Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Wow you beat my score. I get 970 at 4.3 ghz. And that's with RAM timings at 15-15-15-35, 1T, tRFC=270, tREFI=32767....
    and @Papusan is actually happy with your score...what...ive never seen him happy before.....BGA jokebook with a good score.......

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I FIX IT FOR J00
    If it was from 4.3GHz. But I doubt it:cool:

Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.