EVGA SC17 1080 finally available

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Vistar Shook, Aug 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am not sure how standardized is that test the reviewer did, but I am doubful of the conclusions of the results, since I ran cinebench like 30 times in a row with 40x (superclock setting) getting 887 consistently, and far from the PL limit. Then I did the same upping it to x41 getting a consistent 908, also not reaching the PL limit. Pretty sure the RBP can't handle a x41 overclock for very long.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 thwink

Reputations:
    if you live in antartica it probably could

Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    On battery, it will throttle even more. @Papusan place is perfect spot, all BGA testing factory must be moved to Norway and I bet not even one BGA will come out of that factory alive or even flying colors when Papusan tests them.

Papusan and Vistar Shook like this.
  4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 thwink

Reputations:
    no bga machine should come out of any factory branded as "high performance"

Vasudev, Vistar Shook and Papusan like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    All of the Jokebooks would fail and every single OEM had to replaced them with proper LGA + MXM laptops, who contain decent cooling:D No thin and flimsy would be pushed out after proper testing!! Thin and flimsy notebooks would only come with low power U processors and with iGPU. And none of them would be developed with Nvidia or AMD graphics.
    THIS!! +rep

Falkentyne and Vistar Shook like this.
  6. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Even though I got a 10% discount through my Dad's company, it is a real bummer to see it on sale a month later at $1899.99.

7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Vistar Shook
    You said that you tried unlocking the Bios.
    Can you please tell me EXACTLY what you did and what and how you got a security error?
    Like precisely what you did?

Also, are you able to download EVGA's bios file (is it a BIN file or an EXE file?) and were you able to open it in AMIBCP, and see the Bios "capsule" options that way?
    Is this an APTIO V Bios? or some other Bios code?

As far as the heatsinks....I looked at the pictures..are you sure those holes are not "hex screw" type holes? I think I do see one "screw" that looks like it's originating from the other end....It is indeed possible that the screwholes are on the backside of the mainboard, which is going to make repasting a ....biggest pain of almost any laptop, because it would require complete disassembly.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Hey @Falkentyne , thanks for stopping by.
    I don't have experience modding Bios, so I just did the simple way to see if it would work.
    Saved the Bios using afuwin. Opened it with AMIBCP (Aptio V), and I was able to change settings to user. Tried flashing with afuwin the altered bios, but no go. I know this is not the best method, but it did work on another laptop that doesn't have the security thing.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 7:26 AM
    Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    I asked EVGA support about the limited Bios not allowing me to change the PL1 limit, not even with XTU, and they answered,"The power limit is definitely by design but there is of course room for improvement but only time will tell if we do decide to continue manufacturing laptops in the future."
    Which makes me think that this whole laptop thing might be a short experiment for EVGA, since it is a low margin business with a lot resources dedicated to support, RMA, and such. That would explain their recent sale offering up to 54% on their laptops, to clear stock, when there is not really any new models coming out anytime soon.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 7:55 PM
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can't use AFUWIN.
    You need to use FPT64 to flash.

Just remember to set all the bios settings you want unlocked to Supervisor first.

Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.