EVGA SC17 1080 finally available

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Vistar Shook, Aug 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    True...haha...but they probably consider 99C normal when overclocking a lot, like Dell.
    Also this issue only shows during stress test like OCCT, during gaming or less demanding 100% CPU usage on all cores, temps are fine.

DukeCLR, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    99C is still better than, 104C I saw today in the AW camp:D

Vasudev, Darkhan and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. DonGod

DonGod Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Vistar,

thanks and I am looking forward to whatever information you can provide.

Witcher 3 has some advantages, as it is taxing the CPU moderately and the GPU hard. A very good simulation of what noise levels you get, when playing a modern, although well optimized game. Other games are less optimized or tax the CPU too much, as they run some stupid copy protection routines permanently. So yeah, starting up Witcher 3 and just standing somewhere with Geralt for 20-30 minutes is a very good simulation of maximum gaming load. However if this is a lot of hassle for you, just use a different AAA title.

The display is indeed the AUO 109B, the best UHD display currently available for 17inch laptops. Under normal circumstances I would buy a laptop with this panel without any further considerations due to its high quality. Having read professional reviews of EVGAs SC 15 and older reviews of previous incarnations of the SC17 I know that they are using a quite thick panel coating, which has a strong anti-glaring effect but also produces a lot of grain (this was also the case with the sharp panel in the 2016 SC 17). Hence my question if this is something you noticed with your new machine.

Cheers

Vasudev likes this.
  4. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Vistar Shook Did you contact EVGA about this, I have found them to have really good customer service, It would be interesting to see what they say.

Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    My issue is that I was going to be in the US for two weeks when my father purchased this for me. However, due to family emergency I stayed only 5 days and didn't test the machine properly, just some benchmarks and stuff and didn't notice the huge core differential until I arrived in Brazil using OCCT. So I royally screwed up, because it is very difficult to return it from here because their is the risk of 100% tax if gets flagged in the local mail. I also here EVGA support is good, I can I always RMA when I return to the US, after all it is two year warranty. Just don't know if I can resist not attempting a repaste to see if it helps, if it is a heatsink issue like on Alienware then only LM might help. I hear that EVGA support is good relative to others but doubt they will honor a RMA down the road if I repasted and such. I will contact them and see what they say.

Enviado de meu Pixel 2 usando Tapatalk

I seem to be able to hold 3,9GHz on all cores staying max on 90c on highest core with lowest 72C(stock). The 45W chip though is a joke for overclocking since the PL limit is reached easily, and option to tweak in the suposedly made for overclocking Bios is not available. Having to resort to TS or XTU with mixed results.

Bummer, tried to unlock the Bios, but it won´t accept unsigned ROM.

Just noticed though in the Precision X software some presets like superclock or custom give the PL Limit of 60 instead of 45....I was just using the wrong custom preset.

DukeCLR, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  6. Vistar Shook

Reputations:
    Is it possible that the screw heads for the heatsink are on the other side of the motherboard? Can't figure out where the srews are at...hehe...probably a good thing so that I can actuallly RMA when I return to the US sometime.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.