***EVGA Precision X and Windows 7/8/8.1 and especially 10 bricking systems***

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ethrem, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Just asking, but... Isn't the EDID something like the display's/monitor's firmware? How the hell can Windows or any program running on Windows get such low-level access that monitors are screwing up? That's a bit like saying 'I flashed that computer's BIOS over Remote Desktop'... Should not be possible.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I have done that a few times. Flashed a few computers over teamviewer though. :)

ajc9988 likes this.
  3. Rimas

Rimas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I can 'sort of' understand why the low-level access is there. What are the benefits, though? I seem to have been able to overclock my screens just fine starting on Win7, so that's probably not it... Anything else? Is this solely a Win10 problem? Could it be the fabled low-level Direct3D 12 API?
    That being said, giving random programs such access to hardware is obviously not safe, as shown by the insane screw-up by EVGA... Luckily no such bull with Nvidia Inspector.

PC GAMER likes this.
  4. PC GAMER

PC GAMER Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox , really sorry for your clevo and were you using Windows 10 too or were you Windows 10 ready. BTW has anyone of you guys checked whether the TH2 update fixed did anything concerning this issue?

@Rimas , have you encountered any issues with your 18 so far? Till now, I only heard of like 3 people getting their screen bricked but I know quite a lot still using the 18 with Windows 10 and so far with no apparent issues.[/QUOTE]

5. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:

archive correct edids, v10

Code:
    pnp id  notes   interf  panel nr.      edid eeprom
    ------- -----   ------  -------------  -------------------
    AUO10ED !       LVDS    B156HW01 V0
    AUO12ED         eDP     B156HAN01.2
    AUO149D !       LVDS    B173HW01 V4
    AUO159D         LVDS    B173HW01 V5
    AUO219D !       LVDS    B173HW02 V1
    CMO1719         LVDS    N173O6-L02
    CMO1720 !       LVDS    N173HGE-L11
    LGD01CA         LVDS    LP173WD1-TLA1
    LGD0226         LVDS    LP173WD1-TLC2
    LGD0285         LVDS    LP173WF1-TLC1
    LGD0289         LVDS    LP173WD1-TLA3
    LGD02C5         eDP     LP173WF2-TPA1
    LGD02DA !       LVDS    LP173WF1-TLB3
    LGD02FC C       LVDS    LP173WF3-SLB2
    LGD0343         LVDS    LP173WF1-TLB5
    LGD037E         LVDS    LP156WF4-SLB5
    LGD0391         LVDS    LP173WD1-TLE1
    LGD03FB         LVDS    LP173WF1-TL**
    LGD046C E       eDP     LP173WF4-SPD1
    MEI96A2         eDP     VVX16T020G00
    SDC3654         LVDS    LTN173KT03-W01
    SDC4852         eDP     LTN156FL02-L01
    SDC4C48 !       LVDS    LTM184HL01-C01
    SEC314A         LVDS    LTN184HT03-001
    SEC4A4B         LVDS    LTN184KT01-J01
    SEC5044 !?AW    eDP     LTN173HT01-301  Winbond 25X20BLNIG
    SEC5044 !?AW    eDP     LTN173HT02-D**  Winbond 25X20BLNIG
    ??????? A       eDP     LTN173HT02-D02  "" ?
    SEC5044 A       eDP     LTN173HT02-P01  "" ?
    SEC5044 A       eDP     LTN173HT02-T01  "" ?
    SEC5443         LVDS    LTN170CT08-D01
    SEC5448 !       LVDS    LTN184HT02-S01
    SEC544B B       LVDS    LTN173KT01-***
    SEC544B BD      LVDS    LTN140KT**-***
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    !  = known bricked panels
    !? = bricked, but unknown which one
    *  = unknown part id
    A  = highly suspect: multiple variants exist, perhaps the others are safe ...
    B  = multiple variants, flash the correct one!
    C  = EliteBook 8**0w DreamColor, 10-bit, for fun ^^
    D  = 14.0" version for M14x, just in case
    E  = G-Sync approved panel (hint ^^)
    W  = write-protect possible

If multiple edids exist for one PnP id; flash the most recent edid, unless indicated otherwise.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, like every others known brick so far, the corruption was found at address 0x14:

[​IMG]

Doesn't matter what else is amiss; address 0x14 is always affected. Something weird about your edid, btw; its 'color bit depth' is listed as 'undefined', even though both Panelook and the AUO specification sheet claim 6-bit (as is usual):

[​IMG]

Not sure ... do you have 262K or 16.7M colours available? Kinda wonder whether this might explain the 90% gamut with the V4, which is not found with most of the others in the series. Chromaticity coordinates are still stock, so it hasn't been calibrated panel-by-panel, at least.

Anyway, will upload a new linux live image with the updated edid archive. Been long enough and the old thread is closed.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I cannot identify any reason the stinking Nazis losers from Redmond need ANY low-level access to anything. If they cannot stop making an OS that is loaded with malware and taking inappropriate liberties then they need to send everyone home and shutter the campus. I'm just so sick and tired of their retarded baloney. I'm being kind here. If I said what really think about their nonsense it would violate my wholesome way of life and probably get me banned.

Thanks. Wasn't that big a deal, but I've been around the block with this stupid problem before. Thanks to @t456 and his helpfulness, it wasn't any harder to fix than flashing a vBIOS after I got everything ready. Dealing with their incompetence is more of a pain in the butt and huge inconvenience than anything else... but, what's not to love about a disaster being diverted, right? Got to be happy about that, for sure.

Thanks for making everything so easy. You're awesome buddy.

Yeah, the Alienware thread kept turning into an off-topic chat forum. Hard to resist and stay on topic when people like each other, but it was constant, LOL. I even had to slap my own wrist a few times, so I just shut 'er down.

How can I tell how many colors? This is stuff I never pay any attention to. All I know about is it is "True Color (32-bit)" for Aero to work. As long as it looks good to my eyes and not any lower than 1080p I don't pay any attention to the other stuff. I'd rather focus on overclocking and benching more than high-falutin pixel stuff. ;)

Papusan, hmscott and PC GAMER like this.
  7. Rimas

Rimas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi!
    Nah, no issues thus far. I used CRU to overclock my panel from 60 to 110Hz, which is what runs on my laptop 24/7 now and I use Nvidia Inspector for my monitoring and clock/mem OC needs. Never touched any of them fancy softwares like Precision X as I believe that the simple tools like Inspector do the job just as well.
    Win10 Pro here, latest Nvidia drivers for 980M. I bet I would have noticed by now as my lappy is up and running 24/7 :)

Does anyone know if Windows editions maybe make a difference? I'm on Pro, how about the people who've got their screens bricked? I know it's a shot in the air, but you, of all people, know that ridiculous things can happen with computers triggered by seemingly meaningless things... (I've had a brand new ASUS laptop whose audio jack would not output to speakers/headphones. Later found out that it happened because I disabled the startup/POST jingle when ASUS logo was showing...wtf?!)

PC GAMER likes this.
  8. PC GAMER

PC GAMER Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you have MSI Afterburner cause I want to know if it's safe to use?

9. Rimas

Rimas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Like I said - I don't use anything like that.
    All I use is HWInfo, Nvidia Inspector and XTU.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Arestavo

Arestavo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been using Afterburner to no ill effect so far, but it doesn't allow for voltage adjustments for Nvidia laptop cards (and yes, I've tried enabling it). So if you want to overclock to the point where voltage adjustments become necessary, you'll need to edit the VBIOS for the voltage desired,

PC GAMER and Mr. Fox like this.