***EVGA Precision X and Windows 7/8/8.1 and especially 10 bricking systems***

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Ethrem, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ***Update 11/1/2015 - It seems like its mostly EVGA Precision X causing the problem. If you are using Precision X, grab nVidia Inspector and use it instead - http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html - Inspector has been long respected and I have not heard of any bricking thus far... Still proceed with caution with Windows 10 but @Mr. Fox and a number of others have reported that its a combination of Precision X and new drivers causing the bricks***

I have been debating on putting this up here since it didn't seem to be affecting our machines but it appears that it definitely is. Something is causing LCD EDIDs to be corrupted (making them non-functional) and worse, it appears that there is actual BIOS corruption occurring. It is a widespread issue on Alienware machines (see this thread) but I have confirmation of a few Clevo machines that have been bricked as well.

The models that have been reported are ZM and SM-A series. This doesn't mean that other machines are not susceptible and the recommendation at this time is to avoid Windows 10 until the root cause has been found and fixed. Proceed with caution and if your machine has been affected, please post here and let us all know how your reseller or system builder handles your RMA.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    TomJGX, ajc9988, Mr Najsman and 4 others like this.
  2. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Bit of a placeholder reply to this, but I want to speak to our R&D before I reply in full. However at this time I can report that we have had no known issues as described in the above post with Windows 10 and ZM models. I don't know about people upgrading from their original OS to Windows 10 with older model laptops, hence wanting to speak to our engineers in more detail.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @ajc9988 had to RMA his P770ZM after upgrading to Windows 10.

Considering the fact that machines have been bricked from Clevo, Dell, Alienware, HP, Lenovo, and Sony laptops, as well as Gigabyte desktop boards after installing Windows 10, its better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    TomJGX and ajc9988 like this.
  4. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    I'm not denying that a problem may exist, I am simply trying to be as helpful as possible here. Not sure how I should have worded my reply differently so as to not cause offence?

1/ we have had zero reports of this problem with ZM issues and we have a very large data pool to draw conclusions from

2/ I don't know about older models which were launched before Win 10, hence I will speak to our engineers about it

I don't have any details of ajc9988's problem or if he is one of our customers - if he is then we will of course provide as much support as possible, if he isn't then he should contact his reseller/SI. I can forward information posted in this thread to Clevo, but it should really come from the reseller/SI because of the large number of variables.

P.S. it may be helpful to differentiate between laptops purchased with Win 10 installed and owners who update from 7 or 8 to 10 - the other thread suggests the problems are occuring with updates to Win 10. There is a Win 10 specific BIOS and EC for the ZM models, not sure if this has been discussed - I can't read through 156 pages :-(

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  5. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It isn't a huge problem for Clevo systems yet. There's only a handful of reports at this point. With that said, many Clevo owners won't upgrade because they are gamers and Windows 10 is still slower than Windows 7 and Directx 12 functions poorly on nVidia cards so there is no real incentive to upgrade. Not to mention most of us know not to use a new OS version until at least Service Pack 1. Pulling up Google and putting in Windows 10 brick brings up everything from displays going out to hard drives being killed to system BIOS corruption across a wide range of systems. I got lucky I didn't have any issues with it but I have an eDP display which may have saved me.

ajc9988 and i_pk_pjers_i like this.
  6. littlecx

littlecx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    is it safe to install on lecacy bios instead of secure boot?

7. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The most recent Clevo failure that actually ended up corrupting the system BIOS was in legacy. Mr. Fox has blown 4 displays in his Alienware, also in legacy. It seems indiscriminate.

@XMG My phone won't let me quote your PS without erasing all over the place so I thought I would tell you that it has all been upgrades, not machines that shipped with it. Its interesting Clevo has a BIOS and EC for Windows 10.

ajc9988 and i_pk_pjers_i like this.
  8. Bullrun

Bullrun Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think it's a good decision to put up a warning or caution. If the number of Clevos is three displays all in a short time span, that seems a little more than random. Of course, there is a lot unknown right now but being cautious, delaying an upgrade seems wise.

No, Legacy BIOS is not safe. @Mr. Fox has lost four displays on Legacy in his Alienwares. He had issues with W10 on his Clevo P570WM but no bricked display.

Edit Ninjaed :)

i_pk_pjers_i and Ethrem like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
  10. Bullrun

Bullrun Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you shed a little more light on this Windows 10 specific BIOS for the ZMs, please? What does it do differently if anything? What are the recommendations for W10 install with this BIOS, upgrade OK, clean install, BIOS flash first, et cetera?

i_pk_pjers_i and jaybee83 like this.