EVGA Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by cj_miranda23, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. line41

line41 Newbie

Reputations:
    Everything I wish for in a 17 inch laptop is coming finally:

Slim design
    Unibody
    White backlight
    Minimalistic
    Stronk processing power

Also apparently the ETA is February 2016 from the idg.tv video

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  3. cj_miranda23

Reputations:

It seems a high quality product.

4. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This would be a nice replacement for my Envy 17 2xxx 3D.

Everything on the SC17 looks good besides the screen and the bezel realestate at the bottom of the screen.

They should have gone with a 120Hz 1080p and a different type of hinge. Maybe placed the speakers in different positions where your palms wouldn't touch them.

5. danielschoon

danielschoon das it mane

Reputations:
    i wonder how cooling is in such a small machine with a 980m

6. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    The design tricks the eyes a bit.

The backside is raised much higher and is also thicker resulting in much more space than the front of the laptop.

The whole backside also seems like one large fan input/ exhaust.

Hopefully it has a 2 fan cooling solution.

I just wish the screen was a little bit better : /

Also the Unibody seems like it might support US and EU (UK, Ger) type keyboards where the difference is the large Enter key.

[​IMG]
    This could potentially reduce costs if the end user has to replace the keyboard.

7. cj_miranda23

Reputations:
    The location of the speaker is definitely a concern. Hoping they can add a thunderbolt I/O, this combine with razer core would be perfect.

By the way EVGA is an american company, can we expect a american made laptop?

8. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    Very good point about thunderbolt. I assumed that the USB 3.1 Type-C supported thunderbolt (easy to get confused).

Certainly they will make a version that will support eGPUs. Maybe the 2nd gen of this laptop will be worth it.. with a 120Hz screen and a better design ;).

I checked the EVGA site and they seem to offer good service. Haven't really bought any of their products but they seem to have service centres in Europe and they offer good warranties for their existing products! This is quite important as such a laptop can simply not be bought without support.

HP in Germany / UK offered warranty for 2-3 years. If EVGA can do this then I will keep a sharp eye on the development of the SC17.

9. cj_miranda23

Reputations:

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/hands-on-with-evgas-first-gaming-laptop-the-sc-17/

http://unlocked.newegg.com/evga-sc-17-is-the-new-sith-lord-of-gaming-laptops/

"EVGA, makers of some of the most insane motherboards and graphics cards, is jumping into the bloody waters of gaming laptops. And, like every EVGA product, “entry level” is a dirty word. The SC-17 is premium all the way.

What sets their new 17” laptop apart? Aluminum unibody construction. Where most of the competition goes with plastic for the chassis, EVGA is going full metal. And the results are impressive. In hand, it feels like Darth Macbook Pro, extremely well built, extremely impressive. And, of course, extremely expensive.

Price is said to start at $2600. That should include the absolutely top of the line i7-6820hk as well as an overclocked GTX 980m graphics card, PCIe SSDs, 16GB 2666MHz RAM by G.SKILL and up to 4 hours of battery life. 4 Hours? Yeah, this is a high end mobile battle station, after all.

The monitor is a 17.3” 4K affair, though no G-Sync at launch, but it may become an option shortly.

Otherwise, like all EVGA products, this black metal slab is going to make everyone up their game in the build department."

10. cj_miranda23

Reputations:

Well this could be the most powerfull "portable" 17" gaming laptop that will be release this year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.