Everything Is a Subscription Now

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ultra Male, May 2, 2019.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...n-helped-turn-daily-life-subscription/588526/

Personally, I hate and try to always avoid subscriptions as I have enough subscriptions in my life stealing my money, internet, phone, electricity/water bills, antivirus, Office 365, and VPN. Anything else I will never subscribe to, no music subscription, or videos for that matter. NADA

Kyle likes this.
  2. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I feel the same way, I would say I have zero subscriptions, at least no optional ones in the way I define them. Yeah I have bills I pay each month like electricity, phone and internet that I feel are required, but I have no cable/streaming or software subs at all.

I stopped using MS office about 10 years ago when I had problems installing and activating it when I change out my PC's which is really often. Haven't paid for antivirus in over a decade. The few softwares I do buy I am not making payments for, just a one time and done. No subscriptions for consoles or video games either.

I try to buy as many games DRM free as possible, but I do still buy a few on steam/origin/uplay etc. The DRM free ones are my keepers for when things get so bad I have to disconnect and live in my own little world. The steam and others are just temporary to play and enjoy then move on since you never know how long they will work for or when they shutdown servers etc and you lose everything.

Kyle and Ultra Male like this.
  3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Subs are what kept me out of MMO's for the most part.

I just know that I wouldnt want to play anything else merely because of that sub hitting my account each month.

Kyle and Ultra Male like this.
  4. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Hold My Vodka, I going to kill my GPU

Reputations:
    Code:
    To read this please swipe your card to enter into the £1,000,000 pcm subscription!

Joking aside its getting to be a joke, subscripe to this that and the other where you have no control of any content being issued, it can simply be taken away from you without any noticed. I don't use subscriptions at all for this very reason.

Heck when i was testing (MR REDACTED) as soon as they mentioned subscriptions i promptly left the testing pack, still tied to the NDA on that one dam wording on that was so tight if i sneeze wrong i am in trouble.

Kyle likes this.
  5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Playing a bit as a devil’s advocate, I can see this as sort of a solution to software piracy. As much as I like normal, buy-once software (for example, I have a HUP-provided copy of MS Office I bought a few years back, as well as Steam/etc games and various other software), when you have people pirating such stuff, it’s a lot easier as a dev/company to think “okay, you want my stuff but might not pay? Cool, let me make it cloud-based and make it a regular revenue stream”.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  6. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Agreed. I am actually for the subscription based software platforms. Office 365 is licensed thru my university, so I don't have to pay for that. But Adobe CC I pay for on my own (still get a student discount). I like it because I get the latest versions of the apps, and software support if/when I need it. I don't think a subscription or lease option is a good idea for something physical like a car. Just feels like a rental at that point. Long term and kind of expensive.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Personally, I still prefer stand-alone stuff rather than subscriptions, but I can understand the rationale of why companies prefer subscriptions more and more these days.

JRE84 likes this.
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have to agree, since people pirate this is to be expected

9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    At least with Office 365 you get value beyond the basic Word, Excel, etc. in the form of a 1 TB OneDrive. Not to mention the fact that you can share you can share your license with five other people. I've got my wife and parents connected to my account. Dropbox by itself is $99/year for the same amount of cloud storage. Plus, if you know where to look, you can get prepaid Office 365 subscription cards for well under the suggested retail price.