Everyone with ANY model of Razer laptop, can you please check something for me?

Discussion in 'Razer' started by EddyM2, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lol, it stay 99% like forever. Not sure why I saw 100% on core setting. Yes similar with blade 15, it’s plugged in 99% HWinfo64 say now only available 99 instead 2 minutes until full charge, maybe they stop it. I’ll try to use it without core and pull some game and report back if there’s any suspicious act on the battery department.

2. EddyM2

EddyM2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, I'm still slightly confused whether you're saying the battery is still charging though... it needs to have finished charging (i.e. just saying plugged in, not charging) before you do the test with Unigine Sanctuary, as the battery draining thing only happens then, not while it's still charging up

3. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Minus battery consumption is happening on 100% even not doing anything, but it stays on 100, only maybe when pulling something intensive it’ll be discharging to 95 and stay plus from there. Not sure if it’s normal or not, I’ll check on my MacBook bootcamp later to see if it’s only on Razer Laptops.
    Edit: Wait no I forgot to close sanctuary:D, it’s now 0, but it stayed on 100 on 100 Watt ac Adapter. Let me run it again...

4. EddyM2

Reputations:
    Yeah I was gonna say, something very wrong if it's plugged in and showing a negative charge rate even not doing anything at all lol. So yeah that sounds like yours does do the same thing as mine then, i.e. when running certain intensive-ish things, it will discharge to 95% and then charge back up again

5. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Still running sanctury after 30 minutes, but it is still 100%, hmm weird. It is on 100 watt ac adapter. Ill update when it happens again like on core power, maybe doing some gaming later on.

Attached Files:

EddyM2 likes this.
  6. EddyM2

Reputations:
    That is weird, so it is discharging like mine does but maybe at a much slower rate, mine would be down to 99% charge within maybe a few minutes I think

(I'm going to sleep now so won't be able to reply here for a while)

7. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Okay- Took longer to get back to it than I thought.

My 2018 Razerblade 15 base model does not do this.

The battery on it how ever is swollen and it drains like a siv even when the system is completely powered off. Battery life is no where near what it was when I got it, so something about it is messed up.

My battery never dipped below 100%

Also running the original BIOS it came with too, which I think is like 1.01 or 1.02

8. EddyM2

Reputations:
    That is interesting. So, so far it seems like maybe all 2019 models do it but earlier models don't (my girlfriend's Blade 15 is a mid-2019 base model with 9th gen CPU and GTX 1660 Ti). I don't know which ones (if any) are more likely to get swollen batteries though.

In the time that you've had it, have you used it on the battery a lot or has it been plugged in for long periods of time (like more than a month) without discharging?

I think it's normal for the battery life of lithium-ion batteries to reduce quite a bit after 2 years, but obviously not for them to swell up, or drain a lot while powered off as far as I know. My old Sony VAIO had an option to only charge the battery to 50% or 80%, which I think was a really good idea. I never used the 50% option, but I had it set to 80% most of the time, and put it up to 100% usually the day before if I knew I needed to go somewhere with it the next day. It's still usable (although with greatly reduced battery life now), 10 years later, and the laptop itself was in constant use until a couple of years ago. So I am disappointed that there's no such thing on Razer laptops, especially if it's going to do this charging/discharging thing all the time, because I'm sure it would be far easier on the battery to do that from 45% to 50% than from 95% to 100%. And I've hardly been anywhere with it in the last year (for obvious reasons), so having it at 50% charge that whole time would have been no problem at all.

9. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Up until December 2020 it was never plugged in for a month or more straight and has always had the chance to discharge, early when i owned it I used it on battery life a lot and got quite good at squeezing life out of it. I got 7 hours once at an extended D&D-hang out session. On avg i was able to squeeze 5-6 though.

Can agree that laptop batteries in general are worse than they were but thinnerlighter has a cost. lol

pretty sure most manufacturers assume the user or the system will die/be replaced before the battery does and use ****tier batteries on purpose. its gotta be a cost cutting thing w/ razers in order to maximize profits, which i would imagine are already on the thin side.

10. Padron431

Padron431 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tested it on my RBS with GTX1650ti with BIOS 1.04 and I couldn't confirm any of the symptoms. Whether with the 100w charger or my Razer Core Chroma. But I know that my "old" RBS 2019 GTX1650 did that, and I always wondered.

EddyM2 likes this.