Everyone with ANY model of Razer laptop, can you please check something for me?

Discussion in 'Razer' started by EddyM2, Feb 21, 2021.

1. EddyM2

EddyM2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm seeing some strange behaviour from my laptop, which I've already posted about here, perhaps not very clearly, but basically under medium-high load it endlessly cycles the battery between 95% and 100%. I've since discovered that my girlfriend's Blade 15 actually does the same thing, even though it has quite different specs and power characteristics.

So now I would really like to find out how widespread this behaviour is (regardless of whether it's intentional or not, but it would help to answer that question too). Perhaps especially on the Blade Stealth 2020 models, as that's what I would be most likely to get as a replacement for mine, but confirmation either way for any and all Razer laptops would be useful and very much appreciated.

Here is how to check:

Download HWiNFO if you haven't got it already. Run it in Sensors-only mode and look for Charge Rate in the Battery section (if it's not there, unplug your laptop for a moment to make it show up and then plug it back in). If you want to, right click on it and click "Add to tray" to make it easier to check (in your Windows system tray)

Download and install Unigine Sanctuary benchmark (it's free and only a 29mb download - please use this one as I know it consistently demonstrates the issue, other benchmark software may not)

Make sure your laptop is plugged in and already charged, not charging (i.e. Charge Rate in HWiNFO should be 0.0 at this point). Launch Unigine Sanctuary, untick Fullscreen so that you can see the Charge Rate while it is running, leave all the other options as default, and click Run Demo.

Now see if it starts showing a negative Charge Rate (which indicates the battery is discharging). If so, keep the benchmark running until the battery gets down to 95% and see what happens after that (i.e. whether it continues discharging below 95%, or starts charging back up to 100% even though it's still running)

Please let me know what happens, along with which particular model/spec of laptop you have, what charger you're using with it if not the original, and whether or not you've done any BIOS mods to increase power limits etc. Thanks :)

2. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hahaha I wonder if this is why razerblades have been having a bloated battery problem since forever.

I've got to drive my wife to work in a few minutes but i will definitely check this on her Razer when i get back.

EddyM2 likes this.
  3. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How long should it be discharging? 10 minutes run still same 95,5%. Blade stealth 13 late 2019, once moded the bios but currently i reverted to default. Same result with blade 15 2018, no bios moding. Still same battery value on 15 minutes btw. Sidenote the benchmark is new to me not bad fps but kind laggy though...

Attached Files:

EddyM2 likes this.
  4. EddyM2

Reputations:
    Are you saying your battery was already at 95.5% before you started running the benchmark and has just stayed the same? If so I'd say yours doesn't have the issue then, which is really useful to know (especially as yours is the exact same model as mine), thanks!

Edit: I've just looked closely at your screenshots (which are very useful to see, thanks). It looks from that like your GTX 1650 GPU power usage hasn't gone above 6w though, which seems very strange as I'd expect it to go a lot higher than that while running the benchmark (and the battery wouldn't discharge with such a low usage even on mine)

Do you know of anything that could be limiting the GPU at the moment? What kind of framerate did you get in the benchmark?

In fact there hasn't been any GPU usage there at all... so I guess either it ran on the Intel graphics for some reason, or do you have an external GPU connected at the moment that it ran on? (which I can't see in the HWiNFO screenshots, but perhaps that is normal if it HWiNFO was already running before that was connected)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  5. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No before was 100%, and after running that benchmarks and also just like played Medium around an hour it’s still 95,5%. Yes it’s not with dgpu 1650 but egpu 3070, does it matter? On blade 15 was on its dgpu though. Is it maybe because of different bios version, I forgot when I updated it maybe last intel security things update on stealth like a year ago and on 15 model forgot if within this two years even ever see Razer Bios updater Windows. I remember there was battery drain or not charging battery issue (not quite remember) on 2018 Blade15 at early launch, kind different things though and it was fixed by bios update.

6. EddyM2

Reputations:
    Ok, yeah it definitely matters which GPU it runs on (sorry I didn't think of that because I don't have an eGPU), the benchmark needs to run on the built-in dedicated GPU as that is part of what causes the battery drain. Can you try it without the eGPU plugged into it?

I don't know as much about the Blade 15 but there was definitely a battery drain issue with the 2018 (or possibly early 2019) Blade Stealth, which was fixed with a BIOS update, so I was hoping the same would happen for this issue but there's been nothing about it at all

As for BIOS versions on the Blade Stealth late 2019, both versions behave exactly the same on mine (1.02 which it came with and 1.05 I updated to recently), it made no difference to it

7. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes on stealth dgpu it was discharged until 95% and keep charging. I’ll double check using original 100 watt one since Razer Core v2 max power delivery isn’t 100 watt, maybe if you’re facing the same it’ll be also same though, but isn’t it the windows feature for keep overcharging on 100% on long run like gaming? I didn’t experience battery drain like early 2019 one while gaming on dgpu because of bigger 100 watt ac adapter compared to early 2019 I think same with my older stealth 65 watt that can’t properly supply power demand on 25 watt cpu and 35 watt gpu.

8. EddyM2

Reputations:
    Ok, it sounds like yours does do it then... but yeah check using the original 100w charger as well. The overcharging protection thing is where it doesn't start charging until it gets down to 95%, yeah, but there's no reason for it to be discharging from 100% down to 95% at this sort of rate though, as there is enough power available from the charger

9. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On 99% with 100 watt one it doesn’t show - (discharge) rate, running both unigine Heaven and sanctuary, stay on 99 like 5 minutes till now. Let it goes to 100% full charge if it has any changes. Was kind inpatient waiting to 100.

EddyM2 likes this.
  10. EddyM2

Reputations:
    Ah that is interesting... if Charge Rate was 0.0 (or not showing at all) before starting Unigine Sanctuary, and stays the same while running it, that seems like yours doesn't have discharge issue at all with the original charger then... or are you saying it's still in the process of charging up (so should be showing a positive Charge Rate) and hasn't got to 100% yet?