Every Once in a while, older flagship or new mid/budget droid?

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by hertzian56, Jul 21, 2021.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thought I'd put this out there, I've had an s5 for about 2 years, paid 80$ for it used has worked fine, before that I had an S4 for about 3 years can't remember. Only reason I got an s5 is that I heard at the time that since the S4 doesn't have 4g hd voice verizon wouldn't allow that on it's network, s5 has that. Since then I've learned I jumped the gun, it was only for NEW VERIZON pre-paid signups, afaik didn't effect my MVNO existing accounts. I buy used unlocked verizon so my MVNO network will use the verizon towers, it uses towers from all major networks but you can lock it in depending on what network vendor your phone came from. Well I dropped my s5 about a month ago and the glass screen protector cracked, not sure if the screen itself is cracked. Works fine but it seems a bit buggy now, and some of the apps I occasionally use no longer support or run well on Android 6 which is what this has on it.

Functionally I have no needs beyond the S5, have several batteries, extended batteries, cases everything I need. But browsing at the store makes me wonder if a used older flagship like an s8/s9 OR a budget A0x or even switching to the clean G7/G8 would be good. Saw an A01 for 59$ new, from the box it has the "red" network logo which is verizon towers and has the basics I would need. On the other hand I can get a used verizon s5 for less than $30, with the same old OS problem. Older flagships have the non-replaceable battery problem though, wouldn't pay much for one for that. Any thoughts on an A0x, older flagship or etc? Sticking with Samsung or Moto.

Edit: FlaGship, doh!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My friend has a Moto G power. If you do not need wireless charging or NFC it's a great device.

hertzian56 likes this.
  3. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Yeah I think my MVNO sells those new for about $100 may do some research on it. Really like the relatively clean non bloated OS of moto.

kojack likes this.
  4. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I may just be getting old and grumpy, but have tired of the constant new flashy thingies they put in phones that I don't need, won't use, and don't want. And the fact that while many electronics keep getting cheaper, top end phones are crazy expensive. I just don't see the point of it all, and they seem to last less time and have more weird issues.

I recently went from an S10 I was having issues with and got an A12 I think it is, was about the cheapest new phone they had on hand. Only thing I kinda miss is the wireless charging but that broke long ago on my S10 anyway so I was used to not having it.

I can afford the latest phones, it's just more of the principle of the amount I use it vs. the cost of it and monthly carrier costs. To me these companies have gotten way too greedy and I will limit my support for them as much as possible. It's been incredibly freeing not having or even wanting the latest, and saves a lot of money too. It's a win/win for me anyway.

hertzian56 likes this.
  5. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Same, in fact I've always done the buy it outright used from eb, unlocked of course. Just don't see a need for a lot of things, I don't game on phones, try not to have too many apps or basic apps, regular plug in charging etc. The camera is really the largest use apart from phone/tx/internet/maps I do. Only way I'd get a new flagship is if work gave me one but then you're obligated to answer etc by them more than normal. A waste of money for the sake of a new shiny toy. I really miss the popin/out batteries too, when mine runs out out in the wild I just pop in my other fully charged one. If one bloats just junk it and get another one etc Seems like newer phones are pretty large too, I'm fine with 5.7-6 but I guess the longer form factor helps with that.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Agreed. I was going back between a Note 20, s21 ultra, note 10 plus or a note 10 lite. I decided that the Moto G pro would be the ideal device for me at 1/3 the cost as the rest. My wife is going to a G10 in pearl white. A nice classy looking phone with everything we need.

7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Still using my LG v20, every now and then I get the upgrade itch but all the compromises of anything on the field right now keeps me from them.

hertzian56 and kojack like this.
  8. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Nabbed a refurbished Samsung A01 from vipoutlet for 32$ shipped with an internet 10% coupon code. I'll give this one a try, it's a bit smaller for newer phones only 5.7" but I like that. It's also only 16gb etc but stick in some microsd laying around and give it a try as a wifi device for a while. I also have had a mint condition Note 4 for years as a wifi device and a reading phablet. Still have an original 2006 moto razr in storage lol

9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I loved the note 4 friggin sucks that it has a memory controller issue lol basically desaudered itself over time

10. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Huh something to keep in mind it's just a backup that I've had for a couple years if my s5 was to just completely die on me, worked fine so far as a wifi device and ereader but it doesn't get heavy regular use. You can get a deal if some minor burn in isn't an issue for you, never had much problems with used with that tbh.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021