Eurocom Tornado F5 Thermals

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by flightsim91, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    One single hot core means normally one or two loose screws/warped/uneven pressure on die/IHS. The Heatsink is not properly fitted. See how terrible temp is with Dellienware's TRIPOD MESS.
    [​IMG]

2. flightsim91

flightsim91 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I checked the heatsink, the screws are definitely tight, and I didn't see any thermal pads around the heatsink. Maybe I need to remove it and reinstall.

3. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, the only solutin. Do not forget look after how the old paste was spread on HS and IHS. Maybe take a test application before the final paste job so you know you put on correct amount. Good luck

4. flightsim91

Reputations:
    OK, so, where do I begin. I repasted the CPU and GPU with Thermalgizzly Kryonaut. The old paste looked fine, no unevenness. With the new paste, I managed to get the idle temp of Core 1 down to the temp of the other cores, but under stress test the thermal throttling still occurs. In fact, there is no apparent improvement. Does this point to problems underneath the IHS? I took a look at the CPU, it doesn't seem to have been delidded, I can still see the black glue holding the IHS on. Should I try a delid myself?

5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Idle temp aint so important. It's under load who count. And You undervolt as well?
    Would be nice if you posted a few new results (stock clocks if this is what you run). Use same Aida64 setup and Hwinfo64 as in post #4 (remember put up Hwinfo64 as pict so we can see Cpu Package Power).

6. flightsim91

Reputations:
    Well...
    Two months of testing and not a lot of results later... I have this:
    https://imgur.com/a/ggr5x
    No undervolt or overclock, just stock.

I've seen Mr Fox on YouTube overclock his without temp problems (with undervolt, I think), but he did the delid himself. Right now, I'm suspicious of whether the delid was actually done or if they only gave me an unlocked BIOS without delidding.

7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @flightsim91 Your Delid was probably done horribly. Who did you buy the CPU from?
    You need to redo it yourself. 20C core temp difference at STOCK is horrible.
    Please don't keep a laptop in that condition, man.
    Buy a Rockit'88 or Delid die mate 2 (one of these) yourself, off amazon (preferred) or ebay and get your temps fixed.
    Remember to use Grizzly Conductonaut. If you don't like the cost per gram of it, you can buy this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Galinstan-30g-Liquid-Metal-in-Glass-Vial-Thermal-Compound-Paste/323068372053?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=51025&meid=8a83307078e24c239aabd32db4339f37&pid=100675&rk=3&rkt=15&sd=251735856827&itm=323068372053&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:2203d9a7-3b9a-11e8-90b2-74dbd180da05|parentrq:a8246a681620aa12abb96456fffb1d5a|iid:1

And just buy a Syringe or something or get a free one from a Pharmacy. You will need to buy a cap for the syringe though.

A tip for filling syringes:
    First, pull the plunger off and put the nozzle cap on.
    Then pour the LM inside.
    Then, put the plunger only to the "stop" area of the top and press it down only enough so it gets put into the "safety stop" area (So it wont fall back out). DO NOT try to push it down further yet.

Then turn the syringe upside down and REMOVE the nozzle cap.
    then slowly depress the syringe plunger downwards. It will compress and remove the air in the tube, and since it's inverted upside down, the Galinstan won't come squirting out the tube. Just slowly press it down this way until its pushed down to your expectations and the air is out. The air will come out of the bottom, with the syringe inverted, with gravity keeping the LM in the tube.
    Then finally, put the nozzle cap back on.

Simple as pie.

A COMMON and BAD mistake is to try to compress the plunger with the nozzle cap on, after a fresh insertion. This will make the nozzle cap explode off and LM will come squirting out due to pressure. Never do it this way.

8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Looks like delidd was done poorly. As you can see only 1 core is getting extremely hot, I think it's because of the delidd repaste that missed a spot.

9. flightsim91

Reputations:
    Thank you guys for the help! As you can probably tell from the huge time gaps between my replies, I'm honestly too busy on this laptop to take it apart. I'll have to do it eventually, of course, possibly during the summer months.

A couple more question though. The heatsink pipes get extremely hot sometimes, but the fans don't really spin up that much, is that normal? It's not excessively hot, but you can clearly feel it through the cover.

Same thing with the hard drive. It gets really hot, on the cover. Does that mean the thermal pads are doing their job and conducting heat well, or does that mean they need replacing? The CPU and GPU aren't really near the hard drive, but it's not far either when they're all sitting in a 15' shell.