Eurocom Tornado F5 Thermals

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by flightsim91, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Here we go:)

flightsim91 and Vasudev like this.
  2. flightsim91

flightsim91 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great, thanks! Now I haven't opened the case yet, but given that I went for the "Unlocked BIOS + DELIDED CPU" option: do you think the paste problem is within the CPU (between the die and the IHS) or outside the CPU (between the IHS and the heatsink)?

Papusan likes this.
  3. Papusan

Reputations:
    You can't make much stupid with paste/LM between IHS and die(delidding). I expect Eurocom used Liquid metal and not conventional thermal paste. Either one or two screw who is not properly tightened as pointed before or a ****y thermal paste job between IHS and HS. In worst case both or uneven HS.

4. Hollo321

Hollo321 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I did repaste recently(thin layer spread) and got worse temps than before. What do you recommend us the best way to repaste? What method-pea, line, layer spread... use a lot or little paste?

maybe the headsink and ihs not making full contact and need a lot of paste?

And turn screws very tight correct?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Some prefer the X-method and some the spread method. Both should give ok results. But the spread method means you should know how to do it (some put on too much and some too little paste). The X-method aka let the heatsink do the spread is pretty easy (put the thermal paste syringe in a plastic bag and in a cup of hot water - 60/65C to soften the paste before you put it on IHS). Screw down the screws in correct order and thighten fast(See marked order on HS). Try out Phobya NanoGrease Extreme

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Hollo321 likes this.
  6. Hollo321

Hollo321 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Thanks will do! This was my first go at spread method so yeh i probably screwed it up. Thinking also reapplying my gpu which also got slightly worse temps. Will doing this again ruin my thermal pads, or not to worry about that?

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Be careful with the pads. The expensive FujiPoly pads is fragile (if you have them). The OEM pads will hold quality. But be careful when you remove the HS. Good luck, sir.

8. flightsim91

Reputations:
    I think I might go for IC Diamond. The heatsink itself is copper, but the area around it is aluminum. Given that I've never repasted before, I'm not going to take chances with CLU.

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Phobya NanoGrease Extreme ain't Liquid metal. The paste is similar ICD in viscosity but will most likely give better results as well on a not top notch HS. Aka uneven/warped HS. Phobya NanoGrease Extreme 16 W/mK vs. ICD 7: 4.5 W/mK

10. flightsim91

Reputations:
    Well, I just opened the back cover, and the heat sink is installed properly. Am I to assume that I have to repaste? If so, can I use the NanoGrease inside the CPU (between the die and the IHS)?