Eurocom Tornado F5 Thermals

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by flightsim91, Dec 9, 2017.

1. flightsim91

flightsim91 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys,
    I just received my Eurocom Tornado F5, and immediately ran into a problem. Without touching any of the BIOS settings or CPU settings, my i7-6700k is thermal throttling under Intel XTU stress test. I opted for the unlocked BIOS + De-lidded CPU option on my purchase and I wasn't expecting the thermal throttling. Does anyone else have the same experience with this machine?

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    F5 is an MSI barebones but i digress.

Can you post screens of the temps, usage, clockspeed etc. u're having? Just use some tool to stresstest and HWinfo to monitor.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  3. flightsim91

Reputations:
    I don't know how to post a screenshot here, but here's something I noticed. When under normal load (i.e. web browsing and office use) XTU graph shows that Core 1 runs on average 10 degrees hotter than Core 0, 2, and 3. Also, Core 1 is the only one suffering the temp spike and thermal throttles the CPU. I would've thought Core 0 would be the hottest. Does this "phenomenon" indicate anything?
    Under XTU stress test, the package temp shoots up to 97 degrees and just stays there, then thermal throttling kicks in and the clock speed goes down to 3.79-3.85. Manually altering the fan speed to max did nothing to the temperature. I don't know if this indicates a thermal paste problem and the heat is not being transferred to the heat sink.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Test with Aida64 as the guide and monitor what happen with Hwinfo64. Follow the guide in the posted link and post your results (take screenshot) before you shut off any load. How to use the forum(post pict etc). Not sure if you relly need minimum 5 post to be allowed to post pict with the forum's own tool (upload a File). But You could of course use imgur or similar image sharing sites.

5. flightsim91

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Here's 1 minute 30 seconds stress test. It's just the Core 1 Temp going through the roof, all the other cores are fine and at the level I was expecting. All these data is collected with the fans running at max.

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/OL4Fu

I've also ran some flight sim on this laptop in its current state, and the CPU result is consistent with the stress test. Core 1 temp almost double the other cores and throttling the CPU to 3.7-3.8 Ghz.

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I would assure that all screws for heatsink are securely attached as first step. This smells one or two screw who is not properly tightened. If the temp is still high after you have checked (tightened down) all screws, do a re-paste yourself or call tech support.

7. flightsim91

Reputations:
    I was thinking along the lines of not enough thermal paste to cover the whole CPU, but I'll check. Meanwhile, I'll contact customer support and see what happens. Thanks for your help!

Papusan likes this.
  8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    yeah there is something wrong with the mounting/pasting. Repaste again and then spread the paste over the entire chip this time, if the problem still persissts then RMA it.

9. Jumpwired

Jumpwired Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Eurocom needs to step their thermal game up. I'm still struggling to tame my new GTX1080, but one thing for sure the 'factory' 2mm pads are way too big. I fooled around with 1.5 and had good temps using Gelid, tried to LM 8X now (2 days of 5hr tuning) and I couldn't get the temps to stick.

10. flightsim91

Reputations:
    You can apparently opt for better paste for an additional price, but if what Papusan suggested turns out to be the case, it wouldn't have made a difference.
    I'm currently working out with customer support how the warranty is going to work if I open the back cover. But if I do repaste myself, any suggestions to point me towards some good quality thermal paste?