Eurocom Tornado F5/Eurocom Tornado F7 with 6-core Coffee lake cpus?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by sicily428, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    After the DM-G 1080 upgrade mod is finished, it is unlikely I will spend any more effort or money on high performance laptops going forward. It's too frivolous and the dishonest companies that manufacture them intentionally gimp them way too much. I'm getting sick of every new laptop we see hit the market being a malfunctioning and crippled piece of trash without extensive firmware mods, and the half-assed cooling systems and BGA filth that the vast majority of them get just adds insult to injury. I'll probably focus on desktop and keeping mobile computing as inexpensive and mundane as humanly possible. I'd rather own a $150 Chromebook than have an expensive disposable turdbook or a beast with its nuts cut off by cancer firmware and sloppy cooling.

Papusan and ole!!! like this.
  2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    did you use a gtx1080 in your p870dm-g?:vbconfused:

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I am getting things in order to do that. I need a few more pieces.

The original plan was to use the 980M from the DM-G in the Tornado F5 and the MSI 1080 in the DM-G. I may still do that GPU mod as well. But, @tanzmeister has a Clevo 1080 on its way to me and I will focus more effort on that first. The Clevo 1080 GPUs are more affordable (and more robust) than the MSI 1080 cards. Either upgrade would be awesome, but the Clevo 1080 would be more awesome. I need a single 1080 Clevo DM2/KM1 T-style heat sink so I can remove the heat plate and resolder it to the DM-G 980 T-style heat sink that I already have.

I am hoping that @Eurocom Support and @Ted@HIDevolution and @Donald@HIDevolution will be able to source a vendor for heat sinks that match the prototype from my project so that Clevo 1080 upgrades for the DM-G can become a totally common bolt-in upgrade for everyone that owns a DM-G.

The power cables are different, but easily addressed. If you look at the Clevo service manual schematics, the DM-G 980 power cable has two ground wires and two power wires. The DM3/KM1 has four of each. The power and ground sources are the same, so they are redundant wires. Technically, one power and one ground would be enough. The extra wires are for more amps, like using a larger diameter garden hose for more water volume.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    UsmanKhan, Papusan, dzpliu and 3 others like this.
  4. sicily428

Reputations:
    wow! that seems an amazing plan :vbeek:

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I hope so. I love doing weird projects like this. Especially so if they help others upgrade and save money instead of buying a new machine just to get an upgrade as minor as a better GPU. Nobody should ever need to buy a new laptop to get a newer GPU. That is extremely stupid and it is one of the things that is making me start to hate laptops in a general sense. A desktop replacement should be a desktop replacement in every sense of the term, including easy drop-in GPU upgrades.

Even if I do not use the MSI 1080 in the DM-G, I may go ahead and move the 980M to the Tornado F5. Brother @Jon Webb sent me a heat sink for that and I think it would be powerful enough with a 980M GPU. I have been comparing gaming on the single 980M in the DM-G with the single 1080 in the Tornado F5 and there is not enough of a difference in performance to matter for most games. The 980M has no trouble with max settings and holding 75-100 FPS at 1080p in most games. The additional 25-50 FPS above that you get with 1080 doesn't really do much to improve the gaming experience in general, but the 980M runs cooler. For a small machine designed for portable high quality gaming, the 980M still seems like enough GPU to me.

For overclocked benching or 4K gaming, 1080 totally rapes 980M, but people that are mostly focused on playing games have no reason to care about that. Since most games today are little more than crappy console ports that are designed to run fine on anemic hardware, higher benchmark scores and 4K gaming don't do very much to improve the experience.

6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    yes i'd agree. but well that would depend on how good the laptop is made. F5 has a flaw only to me as it is only 15" and a shared heatsink, other than that its pretty good.

i would love to see how F7 and new clevo is designed and hopefully not castrated in anyway, pure performance power house.

UsmanKhan, hmscott and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. sicily428

Reputations:
    You are right! and Clevo should understand that gpus upgradability is a grat feature and they could have more and more customers if they will follow a sort of upgradability path

edit
    Gpu upgradability path (at least 2 series) should be a must for gaming laptops with a price of 2000 or more dollars IMO

8. tanzmeister

tanzmeister Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

hey man! the T-heatsink is already on the way to you together with 1080. you are free to do what ever you want with it!

9. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The F5 (MSI 16L13) does not have a shared heatsink

hmscott and tanzmeister like this.
  10. tanzmeister

tanzmeister Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I must say that 1080 totally beats 980m in latest games, with more than double performance, unless the CPU gets in the way!

Mr. Fox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.