Eurocom Tornado F5/Eurocom Tornado F7 with 6-core Coffee lake cpus?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by sicily428, Apr 26, 2017.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. capjack

capjack Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What the heck is the 8700B?
    4.6Ghz Turbo clock, 12M cache, 65W TDP

Is that going to make it into anything? Is it overclockable?

3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Please don't mess the new Tornado F7 up. Please, don't save money on speakers, don't save money on the screen, and most importantly don't mess up with the cooling. Make strong good fitting heatsinks, use 2 fans if needed.

Don't skimp on the keyboard either. You have the chance to make a real desktop replacement, don't mess it up. Please.

raz8020, Vasudev, Nomad and 1 other person like this.
  5. another_person

another_person Newbie

Reputations:
    MUX support (preferably with support for switching outputs while booted) will be the main deciding point for me. It's useful both for vga passthrough to a virtual machine (so you can pass the nvidia gpu to a virtual machine and use vga_switcheroo or equivalent software on the host operating system to switch output between the host and the guest operating systems. One main benefit of this is that unlike in laptops with Optimus or a single nvidia gpu, a MUX setup permits you to run another operating system - Linux or FreeBSD would work best - as your main one and run a Windows VM with the GPU passed through to get 95-100% graphics performance for games, ML etc.) and for battery life in low GPU load. (The main selling point of the Tornado series over the Sky X4/7/9, AFAIK, is superior portability, in which case you clearly want better battery life) My only other gripe with the current model is with the horrible looking MSI keycaps, but it's minor compared to the MUX issue.

Edit 1: the ideal MUX configuration for me would probably be a physical switch that doesn't require a reboot, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high for that.

Edit 2: If you're going for the Ultimate Portable Laptop, it would probably also be important that the battery is as large as possible (99Wh max for air travel?), though a mux switch is still the most important factor for battery life.

Edit 3: I just got in touch with several people in /r/VFIO, who told me an 8-core Tornado F5/7 with a MUX switch would be the perfect laptop for their needs, and that they would purchase and publicly recommend (on the VFIO forums) the Tornado F5/7 laptops if a no-reboot-necessary mux switch was implemented. (So you can expect massive support from Linux gaming and VFIO communities too if you decide to implement it)

Edit 4: The NVIDIA GPU must be capable of running by itself for this to work. Ideally, it should be possible for both GPUs to be active at the same time, running independently from each other, the MUX switch determining which GPU is connected to the display.

Edit 5: Contrary to popular belief, Optimus support is not very useful once you have a rebootless MUX configuration. It'll maybe save you 2 seconds on a slow switch, which I'm willing to bet isn't at all significant to the average buyer of a laptop like this, especially considering how much unnecessary complexity Optimus forces you to deal with.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    relobe likes this.
  6. Luc van Dijk

Luc van Dijk Newbie

Reputations:
    My laptop is currently running an i5-6400 cpu, and i purchased an i7-7700. But when installing this cpu it gives me a black screen (not even the bios).
    Do i need a bios update in order for this to work? If so, how do i obtain the correct bios?
    I've got a Tornado F5.

7. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  8. rancid

rancid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Luc van Dijk Reset the CMOS, take the battery out. Unfortunately it is on the back side of the mobo. See the official owners thread for more details or google Mr. Fox's videos.

9. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I know this is an old post but hopefully you figured out you need the Kaby Lake supported BIOS from Eurocom.

10. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Should be a great machine based on the specs sheet!