]]>

Eurocom 90W 1070 in an M17X R4

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Schurke, Feb 11, 2018.

1. etienne51

etienne51 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The cards that work on the M17x R4 equipped with the 120Hz screen are the 1060 and 1070 from MSI. Not the smaller form factor 115W Eurocom 1070 sadly. The issue with the MSI 1070 is, you need to modify the MXM connector on the motherboard, cut two plastic tabs, and you also need to remove one part of the chassis. With that done, it will work fine, but it will throttle. The MSI 1070 is a 150W card, and the M17x R4 is designed to handle 100W cards, not more. So to stay under acceptable temperatures, the card will lower it's operating frequency if it reaches 75°C.

So in the end, the 1060 might be the best solution here, if you do not absolutely need the extra power of the 1070. It's way easier to install.

Keep in mind all these cards need the heatsink to be modified, but in case you are not willing to try that yourself, the modified heatsinks can be found for sale.

2. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Attached Files:

3. Striker1234

Striker1234 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Zotac GTX 1070 eDP is the only one you can use without hardmod the case, only the heatsink, but this is even with the 1060.

4. A-Gits

A-Gits Newbie

Reputations:
    I am one of those few people running a MSI 1070 on my M17xR4. I did mod the chassis, the mxm connector and i am using the stock Heatsink without problems so far. The only game that managed to push the card over 75 degrees Celsius is Rise of the Tomb Raider when i am playing it on my Ultrawide U3415W (3440x1440 Resolution) at max settings.
    I will get a 5Pipe GPU Heatsink soon and ill see how that goes.

Together with the GPU i am using a 3920xm clocked at 4.1 and 4.0. Stock Bios A13 (no unlock) and 32GB of Ram.

Currently reaching 14k+ firestrike score.

My guess for your card would be maybe upgrade to Stock A13 Bios and see if you get an image on your internal display. In any case that, before flashing vbioses to your card.

Cheerio

5. A-Gits

A-Gits Newbie

Reputations:

There you go, this is my M17xR4 running a MSI 1070:

The highest score i managed to get, was this:
    [​IMG]

My 3920XM in it, oc'ed @4.1 and 4.0Ghz with a 3Pipe Heatsink and a modified fan (swapped cpu fanblade -not the complete fan like other users did) with that of a M14xR2 Fan).

[​IMG]

The MSI 1070 runs @+220/250 with stock Heatsink (GTX680M). - I do plan to get a 5 Pipe Heatsink (reason explained futher below).
    [​IMG]

My M17xR4 only performs like this because i am using a cooling pad that elevates the back of the laptop.

If i was using the Notebook on a normal flat table i have to run the MSI 1070 on stock clock because the most demanding games like "Rise of the Tomb Raider" make GPU temps go as high as 82 degrees Celsius (and even crash afterwards) and temps on my oc'ed 3920XM as high as 92 degrees Celsius (on stock clocks or moderate oc as high as 78 degrees, which is totally fine). Normal or older games run just fine with the notebook staying "cool".

Then again, running demanding games with this rig on my cooling pad also dont make GPU temps break the 76 degrees barrier.
    But my goal here is to make this MSI 1070 work the most demanding titles on normal surface/table with temps as cool as possible.

So there you have it, this is the main reason for me to buy a 5 Pipe Heatsink and i am eager to test my rig once the new 5-Pipe HS arrives.

I hope all this information was useful.

Regards!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Schurke likes this.
  6. ares6

ares6 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    uff a lot of modifications I see then I will stay with the 980m and wait for the 2000 series for no luck and we will install it

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

7. etienne51

Reputations:
    Yeah, there are quite some changes to make to be able to fit the MSI 1070 in the 120Hz Alienware. I did all the necessary modifications yesterday to mine, and my card is on order.

Following someone's tutorial, and with the wise help of woodzstack.

1. First of all I took the laptop appart completely, cleaned it up.

[​IMG]

2. Then I cut the small retaining tabs / guides on the MXM connector, both sides.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a clean easy cut here, but I heard that on some laptops there is some red glue below the tabs, and it might be a little more tricky to cut them. No problem here, I just used small flat cutting pliers.

3. Next step was to modify the chassis by removing the separator between the CPU and GPU compartments. I used a Dremel equipped with a cutting disk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All done for the hardware modding.

4. I should also modify the heatsink for the 1070, but the stock heatsink will not provide enough cooling for the most demanding situations. I was looking on the net, see if I could find informations about a custom all copper heatsink and I found these!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/All-copper...R3-R4-GPU-Heatsink-0MT1DN-0VH0YK/253386407713

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Heats-Fo...-M17X-R3-R4-CPU-Cooling-Heatsink/253284253813

This seems to be the perfect upgrade here, and it's already designed to fit the 1060 / 1070 cards! With the all copper construction, I guess it should provide way better cooling than the stock aluminum/copper heatsink. So I'll give these a try and upgrade the CPU cooling as well at the same time, and replace the CPU fan with a M14x R2 fan for even better performance.

5. I was on the stock A12 bios, I moved to an unlocked one from svl7. The latest one being A11, I first downgraded to the stock Dell A11 downloaded from their website, then I flashed A11 unlocked from svl7.

But now I hear A-Gits say he is running A13 stock? So no need for the unlocked bios?

6. Since I needed Windows 10 to boot in UEFI mode, and my 680M card would not work in pure UEFI mode, I had to flash the updated UEFI vbios from svl7. That way I could install Windows properly, and switch back and forth between the 680M and 1070 in case of an issue. Both should work fine on the same OS.

7. I reinstalled Windows 10 in UEFI mode, GPT partition table. Clean install, all drivers and software.

That's where I'm at right now. My M17x R4 has a 3840QM CPU, which will be way enough for now, but I might upgrade to the 3940XM in the future. It will depend on how the cooling has been improved by the all copper radiator I'll be using, and the fan upgrade.

Anyway, to make sure nothing is limiting, I'll also replace my 240W PSU brick by a 330W model soon. I'll try things on the 240W first, make sure everything works as expected.

Schurke and A-Gits like this.
  8. A-Gits

A-Gits Newbie

Reputations:
    That is correct. I am using A13 Stock. In fact i never unlocked my bios in the past, even when i was running a GTX980M.

Btw, nice clean cuts! I am looking forward to your benchmark scores :).

etienne51 likes this.
  9. etienne51

Reputations:
    Okay, well I've never thought about trying with the stock bios. I assumed it was necessary to use the unlocked one, and I didn't look into that any further.

Well, yeah I'm now waiting for my card to be shipped. And I'm also waiting for the chinese guys on eBay to give me an answer about the performance of their heatsinks, and the shipping options. Then I'll order them both for the CPU and GPU.

I guess I should be able to test all that in less than a couple weeks maybe.

10. A-Gits

A-Gits Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, what can i say? They are chinese sellers, ofc they will tell you that the sinks work great.
    If i were you, i would buy and try.
    Woodz also sells heatsinks (5pipe gpu and 3pipe cpu) but his GPU Hs is not completely made of copper i believe, it also has aluminum. I ordered one from him and i gave the chinese guy you mentioned earlier a try and bought one from him too.
    I will try out both sinks and tell which one is better.