EU Regulators Raid Intel Offices

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by kitsune, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShortGreenGoat

ShortGreenGoat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Microsoft wasn't punished for being successful, it was punished because what does every version of microsoft contain? MS Media player, IE, Firewall/anti-spyware, etc. All this forces all others out of the market, because zone-alarm, div-x, opera, commodo, avast, spywaredoctor cannot afford to be packaged with their own OS, and with MS hailing their products as the 'best, most secure and easy to use' people just keep whats on there, which stops people choosing their browsers/anti-spyware/virus. media players on merit rather then association. I've personally replaced all of MS's junk on my notebook, because Firefox/Avast/spyware-doctor/commodo suit my needs better and are more secure. But MS doesn't care it still holds a monopoly on this software since 90% of people buying a PC will keep it. And a free market helps us in the long giving us more stuff, better security, better ease of use. simply because if you don't keep up you lose, and MS is stopping the free market.

Although AMD haven't been doing well recently, they haven't produced rubbish for 4 years, as said, the FX-60/FX-57 and all the others were the best on the market for a long time, but only boutique brands offered those, and anyone else using AMD chips were low/mid-range because the Pentiums of the time were very expensive. And if Intel are found guilty, what they did was a great business strategy, because although a free-market helps us, it doesn't help them, since they have to spend more on R&D etc. to try get ahead, and at the time with their pentium's it seemed quite hopeless. So they simply used their wealth, to try and push their components into PC's by offering rebates/offers, the only illegal bit of this would be paying off retailers/wholesalers not to stock AMD products, however IF they did it would not only force AMD out of the market for basic home pc's (which chip makers rely on much more then the top end market) but also drive up the price for computers with AMD chips in them, which makes them loose customers to Intel, it's abusing your market position and it's illegal and doesn't help consumers

whats so ignorant about this? A large portion of the population of the US own handguns, and it seem like he was just curious as to what would happen if you took a handgun into a bank that you weren't planning to do anything illegal with (only for self defence and such)

2. nbaumann

nbaumann Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Like Jalf said, no one gives a damn when an EU company gets put under the microscope by the EU such as the EADS (german aerospace company) scandal, nobody seems to give a crap although the MS case was chicken pickings compared the EADS case which is still going on.

I hear too many people giving X, Y examples and that the government has to or should stay out of your X and Y deal. Well maybe it should but that's not how it is, no matter how you think it should be. Right now if we compare European health systems and the health system which is privatized and in most European countries the government in heavily involved. Which one is better off? EU countries, nowhere else in the world have I heard that ambulances refused to take people to the hospital because they didn't have insurance or because the person was unconscious and couldn't give her consent to go in ambulance. So my friends, I think you do want the government, and it is involved more than you. Would we be better off if it wasn't? Take for example Swiss farmers, without the government, you wouldn't have much Swiss produce in Switzerland. The government has about 70% of its agriculture subsidized and subsidies amount to 12 billion dollars a year. You say 12 billion dollars is peanuts? Switzerland is twice the size of New Jersey or half the size of Indiana. Swiss farmers would be long gone without the government. The NHS in England would also be a good example of how the government needs to be involved. No I am not a commie and my parents and myself vote for parties on the Right when it comes to elections and my mom (she is french) even voted for Le Pen in the French elections.

And you say Europeans are ignorant about the US? Not true, I bet there are some, but that's a measly sum. Take as an example news channels. I am watching CNN and I've been watching the whole day and nothing about Europe or anything outside north America. In Europe, about half of the news time is dedicated to events outside of the country you're in, ie France. And when you hear how many people in the States have weapons and how gun crimes there are, asking if you have a rifle or hand gun, isn't that stupid at all, statistically he'd be more ignorant if he asked you if you didn't have a gun.

Maybe, but that's not quite how it is in the EU, maybe it should, but it's not. If you want to do business in the EU you've got to adhere to its rules, no matter how much you dislike and it's not because you can do it in NA that should be able to in the EU.

Maybe it's because you don't quite understand them.

3. wc2810

wc2810 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Intel's products are much better. I'm not going to buy inferior AMD products just to stop an Intel monopoly. If AMD wants my money, they can make products that deserve my money.

4. nbaumann

nbaumann Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Whether you think Intel is better or not, it's irrelevant. AMD filed a complaint a couple of years ago and the EU is investigating if they broke the law, that's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.