EU Regulators Raid Intel Offices

Discussion in 'Press Releases and Announcements' started by kitsune, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yuio

yuio NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Reputations:
    maybe if intel did not have 80+ percent of the market rebates would be ok...

give the little guy a chance, if they don't we will have another MS all over again.

2. benx009

benx009 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ah, the feud between AMD and Intel goes on. Ya gotta love it:D

3. brianstretch

brianstretch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The devil is in the details. Intel says something like: Buy 90%-100% of your CPUs from us and we'll give you these big $$$ rebates. If the buyer doesn't go along and effectively shut out AMD they'll have to pay far more for their Intel chips than their competitors who did. That's how Intel shut AMD out of Japan for years.

4. Nocturnal310

Nocturnal310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Another reason to buy AMD... i used to like intel...now i feel like supporting AMD so there isnt any monopoly.

5. SoonerDave

SoonerDave Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Keep in mind, though, the EU isn't nearly so enamored of the free market. They're more likely to get mired in the "fairness" business, which is like trying to bisect a sneeze. In their mind, a company being successful is "unfair" to the ones that aren't, as if there's an entitlement to success.

As far as AMD goes, they're doing plenty to shoot themselves in the foot as of late without worrying what Intel might be doing from a supposedly "predatory" point of view.

-sd

6. Jalf

Jalf Comrade Santa

Reputations:
    Oh, gotta love how everyone here knows more about 1) how Intel does business, and 2) how to deal with monopolies. Perhaps you should apply for a job with the EU?
    Or perhaps you should just read up on some of the details?

No, they didn't "tell people not to buy from their competitor". They bribed customers into not buying from their competitor. That is illegal. Even in the US, in fact. Coca Cola has been found guilty of the same thing some years ago.
    The entire point in a free market is that customers can choose freely. If they can't do that, it's not a free market. Apparently you guys don't want a free market though? Well, the EU does.

Saying "If you buy from us, you get a discount" is perfectly legal. Saying "If you buy zero AMD computers, you get a discount" is not. "If you buy an AMD computer, you lose your nice fat discount" is not, in fact, anything to do with a free market.

Don't be stupid. How about you look at 1) how many resources the EU had to put into that case, and, 2) the size of the EU's budgets, and 3) how much they fined MS in the end. I think you'll find that for the EU, the money in question are peanuts, especially when you subtract the costs of running this case.

Again, wrong, but apparently such trivial things as "facts" don't worry people when they're filled with righteous indignation because an American company doesn't get its way?
    The EU was not satisfied, because MS did not comply.

So spaketh the economic expert. Unfortunately, you would seem to be wrong.

Highlighted the bit that your selective reading skills somehow seem to have missed.
    It's no business of Intel's whether someone (say Dell) buys anything from AMD. They can offer discounts on Intel's own products as much as thye want, but they can not fine customers for buying competing products, which is basically what they're doing.

Not quite. In fact, that's completely opposite of the truth.
    Perhaps you need to read up on this "free market" thing. Because one of the most fundamental parts of it is that companies must compete on the actual merits of their products (and their prices, of course). Not on paying clients to promise not to buy competing products.
    If they do that, it is no longer a free market. And what the EU is doing is exactly trying to preserve a free market. By forcing companies to compete by actually making better products, rather than by strongarming clients.

And finally, you seem to have skipped over one tiny little part of the article. It's only, in fact, the most important part of it, so no worries:
    Intel has not been found guilty of anything yet. The EU is investigating, and they found it necessary to raid one of Intel's offices to gather information. That doesn't mean Intel is going to be fined. So, uh, wtf is the problem, exactly?
    And of course, you seem to have forgotten that the equivalent organizations in the US (the FTC, I think) also raided Intel offices recently. but that's different, of course. They're not filthy foreigners, so that's ok, right?

But pray tell me, how *should* the EU deal with it? Just ignore the complaint from AMD? "Oh, you think Intel is abusing its monopoly? Well tough luck, we don't even want to look at it". This might come as news to you, but they kinda have an obligation to look into such complaints. Even if they find nothing, they have to check up on it. And it's hard to do that without acquiring information from Intel.

I think I lost quite a few brain cells reading this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  7. SideSwipe

SideSwipe Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    isnt that always true, do as we say not as we do.

8. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why does everything, and I mean EVERYTHING!!!!! have to turn into a American VS Europe, or American VS Middle East thing

Christ.

I swear to god, everyone on this forum who is not from north America cant help but mention the US in every single thread.

9. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The biggest problem Jalf is that from what we've seen with the MS cases, the EU basically says "you are guilty as soon as we want you to be guilty, and that isn't going to change no matter how much evidence you provide to the contrary."

10. nbaumann

nbaumann Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have to agree with Jalf on this one. And if you think that everything is turns into an NA vs World argument it's maybe because North Americans don't quite understand why and how things are different outside NA. For one, relevant or not, since I got here in the US, I've heard about 3 people arguing that Europe is a country and that Africa too is a country. Very ignorant I must say and since I am from Switzerland, it kind of insults me just a little bit when I hear that in class. Specially annoying when I present myself "Hey I am Nic and from Switzerland" then two minutes later some guy comes up and says "I've been to 3 countries: US, Africa and Europe".

I don't know, maybe it's some kind of ignorance that some people may have in terms of how things are outside of the US and how the rest of the world works. I am not denigrating the US culture. I live here and study here so I have utmost respect but it sounds funny when you hear that 20% of Americans can't locate England on a world map.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.