Essential Phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Primes, Aug 9, 2017.

1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    IDK, there are some Android phones which have no bloat, i.e. I toyed with an idea of replacing my Q10 with either Moto G5 Plus or Nokia 6, and they come with no bloat.

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its not just the boot up screen its, the apps you cannot remove...its the carrier bloatware you cannot remove....I am not talking about rooting etc, I mean when you buy the phone there is a ton of **** on it, big deal an album is loaded on my iPhone. I can remove it ooooorrrrrrr, if I like u2 I got a free album from them....totally not in the same realm of "bloat".

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Every single carrier app on my S7 Edge can be (and was) either uninstalled or disabled with just a long press on the app icon. Super easy, super quick, no harder than removing an album from your iTunes library. Do you have carrier apps on a recent Samsung flagship where that isn't the case? What phone and what apps?

As for Samsung's first-party apps, you can't uninstall the "internet" browser from a Galaxy phone even if you just use Chrome. But you can't uninstall Safari from an iPhone even if you just use Chrome. Tie.

4. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    AT&T doesn't allow that. That's why I'm using the U-software. A good chunk of AT&T's apps are permanently active. Also, CarrierIQ... that can't be disabled. Also, if you have a Verizon branded Samsung Galaxy device, it's running a TON of stuff you will never see, and since they're bootloader locked and under DMVerity hash, you're likely to never be able to change them.

Also, on an iPhone, Safari is at the root of the OS, so uninstalling it would be like deleting the icon. Apple doesn't, and will not EVER, support 3rd party webview API's. Every app or service that calls on webview will be rendered by Safari regardless if the icon is on the springboard or not. Same for Android. All system webview calls will be handled by the default system renderer: Chrome API.

5. Primes

Primes Chrome OS Wizard

Reputations:
    Damn, it's a flop.
    unless they seriously fix the camera app and add more features to it.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They have sold 5000 units since release. more like off a cliff than a flop.

7. ronaldheld

ronaldheld Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    does not seem like a big hit to me.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Based on the Pixel 2 leaks, I can't think of a single reason to get this over them if you're into vanilla Android, and an LG V30 or Galaxy S8 if you're not.

Primes likes this.
  9. Primes

Primes Chrome OS Wizard

Reputations:
    I had a chance to handle the essential phone in-store and it felt really super-premium. The full screen apps felt really immersive. I can only imagine when the iPhone X comes out with the similar full-screen experience it's going to be their best selling phone ever.

10. fishz

fishz Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone read anything about when colors other than black moon and pure white will be available? I saw that stellar grey will be available before the ocean depths color but no timeline was provided.