Essential Phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Primes, Aug 9, 2017.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its a beautiful looking phone in the green/gold color. But like others, Until the company is in business for awhile I am staying away. The new iPhone has my wife's and my name on them. We are really still enjoying our 6s. I have been trying other devices, but the iPhone is the best for us. KeyOne is awesome, U11 is awesome, but the smooth flow and polish of the iPhone is just BETTER.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Meh, personal preference. I keep trying to talk myself into iOS because of the security update situation, but the inability of various third-party apps to play nicely with each other drives me up the wall. The extreme sand boxing of app data is good for security but can be onerous when I know what I want to do and the iOS device just won't do it. For example, I emailed myself pictures (to my Gmail account) that I wanted to upload via Chrome to Shutterfly to use on an anniversary gift that I was working on on Shutterfly. I simply could not get Chrome to recognize downloads from Gmail as available uploads. This same process on my phone (S7 Edge) was easy as pie.

As for smoothness, the non-Plus iPhone has been blazing fast from what I've seen, but I've seen just as many microstutters on iPads and Plus-sized iPhone as on my S7 Edge. I wonder how much of the iPhone's legendary smoothness is really about the OS and how much is about the relatively low resolution of the non-Plus iPhone when compared to 1440p Android competitors.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, All I know, is I have NO issues doing ANYTHING on my iPhone. For the most part I do not use google services. I don't use chrome, I don't use gmail etc...so that's a non issue. I have put the 7 plus next to the galaxy 8+ and the iPhone was noticeably smoother in its function and faster as well.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    So...why are you even considering moving away from the iPhone and to Android? I've never had a single OS where I personally felt that way (and I've owned Windows PCs, Macs, a Chromebook, Windows Phone, iPads, and several Android phones) and if I did, I wouldn't voluntarily leave it!

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am not leaving . I will always have my iPhone as my daily driver. I buy other devices to play with. it's a sickness. As I mentioned before elsewhere, on my desk right now, there is my dell 2 in 1, acer 7720, acer s3, dell 11 3000 2 in 1, keyone, galaxy note, 2 iPhone 6s, a Lumia 950xl a MacBook air, and an old MacBook white running Linux mint. Oh, also 2 asus vivotab RT LTE's, an ipad air 2 and a lepan mini tablet. Soon to arrive is a U11, something from asus, a 3 zoom I think, and a mi mix.

As you can see....I use everything.

Mitlov likes this.
  6. ShotOfB12

ShotOfB12 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No branding and no bloat out of the box. Why can't other companies follow this design?

ronaldheld and kojack like this.
  7. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed. Another reason I like apple. NO BLOAT. This essential phone is a nice phone for sure.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Unless you count U2's Songs of Innocence as bloat ;-)

It took me about 30 seconds to uninstall or disable the third-party software I didn't want from my S7 Edge. Maybe it's "the principle of the thing" for some, but as a practical matter the third-party preinstalled software really isn't hard to deal with.

ronaldheld and killkenny1 like this.
  9. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I like U2 so no big deal...But I mean carrier bloat more than anything.....I hardly count songs as bloat. I mean...I turn on a Samsung device and first thing that splashes across the screen is TELUS....not Samsung. NO THANKS.

10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    A company inserting music into your music mixes that you didn't ask for is "no big deal" but the exact language displayed on a boot up screen is "NO THANKS"? I don't follow.