ESET NOD32 / Internet Security Discussion

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Phoenix, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Clare

Clare Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just renewed an ESET NOD 32 subscription on current laptop, but have a new one on the way. Can a subscription be transferred? Thanks!

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The beauty of ESET products is unlike other security solutions when they restrict you from reactivations and what not, you can use the same license on another computer freely provided you are not using the same license at the same time and violating the license allowed users. Just uninstall it from your old laptop and reinstall it on the new one and you're good to go

3. Clare

Clare Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks!

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security/Internet Security v10 Final will be released in 2 weeks from today according to a forum moderator from ESET.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    NOD32 and ESET Smart Security Premium & ESET Internet Security v10 Final released
    ==============================================================
    ESET NOD32 Antivirus version 10 has been released and is available to download.

For descriptions of the new and improved features, see What's new in ESET version 10 home products.

New and Improved Features
    • Script-Based Attack Protection—Proactively protects you from dynamic script-based attacks and non-traditional malware attacks.
    Download and install ESET NOD32 Antivirus
    ==============================================================
    ESET Internet Security and ESET Smart Security/Premium version 10 have been released and are available to download.

The two new products ESET Internet Security and ESET Smart Security Premium include many new features such as script-based attack protection, webcam protection, home network protection, password manager and secure data.

For descriptions of the new features, see What's new in ESET version 10 home products.

New and Improved Features

• Script-Based Attack Protection—Proactively protects you from dynamic script-based attacks and non-traditional malware attacks.
    • Webcam Protection—Controls processes and applications that access your computer's webcam.
    • Home Network Protection—Protects your computers from incoming network threats.
    • Ransomware protection—Ransomware protection is another layer of protection that works as a part of HIPS feature.
    • ESET Password Manager—Allows you to store, organize and share passwords, credit card numbers and other sensitive information using the industry standard AES-256 technology. All you need to remember is your master password.
    • ESET Secure Data—Secures your removable media using certified encryption algorithms (FIPS 140-2).
    Download and Install ESET Internet Security or ESET Smart Security Premium
    ============================================================
    [​IMG]

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    ESET NOD32 Antivirus v10.0.386.0 / ESET Internet Security v10.0.386.0 released!

Despite the site not showing these versions in the offline installers, I just installed NOD32 using the online installer and it installed this newer version

Links for all online downloaders = https://www.eset.com/me/download/home/

7. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    ESET basically force you to use LiveGrid. You are allowed to disable it, but there is no way to then disable the warning that LiveGrid is disabled so you have a constant security alert and a red exclamation mark near the tray is on - meaning you may not notice a new alert appearing.

I went to ESET forums looking for an answer on how to deal with it, but anybody asking about that is being treated like a moron who cannot appreciate how the communist party is doing all of that for their good. And then the thread gets closed.

Extremely annoying - I will finish my test of ESET Smart Security but I will not pay them a dime after that regardless of how good or bad it turns out to be.
    If I wanted to be treated like dirt and still pay for that, I'd go to Goldman Sachs... (I'm so getting sued for that post :rolleyes:)

Phoenix likes this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    yes I agree that is one part I hate about ESET's products, sure you can disable things you don't need like I would prefer to disable the HTTP scanner to speed up my browsing and downloads but then my OCD wouldn't allow me to do that since I would havee an orange ESET icon in the taskbar and it makes me feel like something is wrong so I've just learned to live with keeping it enabled.

Is there any reason why you want to disable Live Grid though?

As much as I don't like such behavior, I've tried all other AVs and I keep going back to ESET

Other AVs: either heavey on resources, or has activation limits, or has bloatware / addons, or mess up your OS entirely, there is no better AV IMHO

Please give me a link to the thread you posted. I know the mods there I'll have them look into this.

9. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    LiveGrid isn't special in any way - Avast and Symantec among others have deployed similar solutions which are based around the concept of a wisdom of the crowd and reputation of a file. And herein lies the problem - crowds are not wise. I've never seen so many false positives as I've seen with those types of solutions.

I haven't posted a thread myself - I found a couple posted by other users and I was appalled by how they were treated. They were literally asked to say what Live Grid does, to prove that they do understand that. Then threads were closed by Marcos.

I'm not paying them.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I can help you *if you want* as I am well connected with the moderators there but if you refuse to work it out as I see you are aggravated by those posts you've read....

Then the next thing to discuss here, is what are you planning to switch to?