Ergonomics with Numpads - Homerow is no longer central to screen - thoughts / experiences?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bmhbmh, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmhbmh

bmhbmh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is people's thoughts / experience with numpads on laptops making the homerow not central to the screen. I do A LOT of work with my laptop on my lap (funny that... :p), so I like to have it sitting evenly on both legs.
    Having a numpad, makes me think that I would have to have the laptop hanging over to the right to allow my arms to sit evenly.

Historically, I have had 10" -> 15.4" laptops, but they have never had a numpad on them.

I like the idea of a numpad, as it would help with a lot of numerical activities, but I don't want to compromise the ergonomics of the laptop when I am doing normal typing.

Thoughts / Experiences?

Thanks.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There's insufficient room to have the keyboard centered with the screen if a number pad is included on a notebook. If that's important, you're best off buying a USB numpad.

My 17" EliteBook has a number pad and I've had no issues with the keyboard being off-center. Your best bet would be to see a notebook in person that has an off-center keyboard to see how it feels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.