EQ on laptops??

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Raider4evr, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raider4evr

Raider4evr Newbie

Reputations:
    Just wondering if anyone plasy Everquest on a laptop. I like to kill time with thie game and wondered who well it runs. I know it would depend on hte system, but if you have some experience playing it on a notebook, would you mind posting some feedback?

TIA!

2. Quikster

Quikster Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    My room mate did, and it played fine as far as the computer went, EQ doesn't really need much in the way of specs. What was bad was the internet connection he was using so he didnt play it much because of the lag spikes and general lag.

zx5000 :: 2.4M :: 512 DDR :: 40gb 4200 RPM HD :: 15.4" :: Radeon 9600 Mobilty M10 :: Aquamark3 22,856

3. jchastain

jchastain Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've played it on a laptop and it does fine. The key is to have a gaming machine with a decent 3D card instead of relying on the typical cheap onboard graphics. Also, it is likely worth noting that EQ2 will require "DirectX 9 compatible. Pixel and vertex shader compatible hardware with 64 MB of texture memory" so it can only be played on a machine with a 9000+ series card. Personally, I would not consider any machine that did not have a 9600 or 9700 if you think you might be an EQ2 player.

The following is COPIED from a post on the official EQ2 boards and is intended to list the models that will support the game. It was prepared by a fan and not by SOE but it is thought to be accurate.

Mobility Models

**Low Range**
    nVidia GeForce 4 4200 Go
    nVidia GeForce FX Go5100
    nVidia GeForce FX Go5200
    nVidia GeForce FX Go5600

**Mid Range**
    nVidia GeForce FX Go5650
    nVidia GeForce FX Go5700

**Low Range**
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9000
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9200

**Mid Range**
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9600
    ATi Mobility Radeon 9700

4. Raider4evr

Raider4evr Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the information. Im stil lawaiting more AMD machines and have been trying to find other EQ players that have used laptops. Thanks again! That's some good info.

5. jason54

jason54 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A friend of mine has been using her laptop to play it. Not sure what her laptop is spec'd for unfotunatly. However my old laptop couldn't even get to the log in screen due to its graphics card. It now requires a card that supports light and Shade technology. Newer laptops shouldn't have much problem atleast logging in.

My new latop, aspire 1501LCi which has a AMD64 3000, and a 9600 with 64M video and 512 memory can play EQ not to badly. Its a bit sluggish in PoK but in other zones so far it seems ok. I haven't taken it to many zones however and none with a lot of tree's.

The main thing with EQ is memory. Its always been a memory pig.

Acer Aspire 1501LCi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.