Envy vs. Pavillion?

Discussion in 'HP' started by JBoland17, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maverick777

maverick777 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes. It does a really good job cooling down the keyboard. I doesn't cool down the computer itself much, but it keeps your hands cool. :)

2. ilvhse

ilvhse Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

your breaking my balls then post how you have heating issues? again just shows how much better the envy is compared to the dv whatever

3. maverick777

Reputations:
  4. Anthony70

Anthony70 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How is the keyboard on the envy? I just got a dv7 and the keyboard has a major wave in it.

You are indeed correct about the screens Maverick. I have the glare 1600x900 and its a very nice screen. Glare is not a problem indoors.

5. maverick777

Reputations:
    The Envy has no wave in it. It does have a minor amount of flex so it's not comparable to a Thinkpad keyboard if you've ever used one, but it's still pretty good.

From a typing experience standpoint, they seemed the same to me, but I know at least one person commented they liked the keyboard on the DV7 better.

6. K_Wall_24

K_Wall_24 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm looking at the Envy 15 vs the dv6. I'm a kid going to college doing heavy virtualization. I like how the dv6 seems to have more power for money, but I don't like the heat issue, and I've heard it's build quality is not good compared to the Envy. The Envy 15 seems to be better build quality, but its a glossy screen and slightly more money for slightly less spec-wise. I'd like it to last +3 years. What do you guys think?

7. hasanspg

hasanspg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also want to know the same about Envy 15

Want to use for at least 3 or 4 years as desktop replacement + light gaming and light visualization and long day use for net surfing. Will Envy 15 serve my purpose well.

8. JSHidaka

JSHidaka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maverick yours videos made me choose the envy over the dv7, I had an old dv7 with amd processors, that died 1 yr ago coz the overheat, playing wow( before cata release) it started shutting down coz the over heat, tried everything and nothing worked.

Was about to give a second chance to Dv7 now with intel processor, so doing some researchs found maverick's video, that was the first time I saw the envy, the noise inst an issue for me, my desktop is a jet nothing can't be worst than that, the screen, if that is a problem, I can get an "screen protector" with anti-glare.

The only drawback, might be the battery, but 5hr in normal use is good enough for a 17"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. coolguy1988

coolguy1988 Newbie

Reputations:
    I would love to know about this as well. Any advice?

10. jampow13

jampow13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello Maverick,

I'm hoping you can help. On this this thread you mentioned => Heat/Noise

The DV series is definitely quieter, but it comes at a price. Heat. These things put out a lot of it when doing anything intense like gaming. It's manageable, but very noticeable. Equally as important is the location of the heat. The CPU/GPU on the DV series is located right under the"WASD" keys. This includes the heat pipes and the single fan that's in the upper left corner. The hard drive bay(s) are also located under the left palm rest. This means that the heat generating parts are where you use the computer most when gaming!

I currently have the HP Pavillion DV7 and your above quote is right on the money. I ended up buying a targus chill pad for a 17in laptop with 3 fans on it so if I didn't know any better that's the only thing that's saved my Mobo from going up in flames. I'm not much of a gamer but I do stream movies, fights, sport games etc... which heats up just the same if not more than gaming. Correct me if I'm wrong. Nonetheless, I am wondering if this issue has continued with the next edition of Pavillions. Pavillion 15z for example. I am trying to decide between the Pavillion 15z (AMD10) and the Envy 15t (i7). Both through Costco if that matters which is where I bought my Pavillion DV7 from approx. 5 years ago. Any assistance and feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.